Do you eat after the gym?

Options

Replies

• LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake after the gym. I use the chocolate protein powder and it only has 140 cals and 27 grams of protein in one scoop. I don't consider that a meal replacement.

If I have lots of extra calories to spare I will make myself a protein smoothie with cottage cheese, protein powder, and peanut butter. Just add a little water and ice and blend until it's smooth. You don't taste the cottage cheese at all.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    If your going to have a protein powder shake right after a work out, I would recommend having it with water. Having it with milk will cause the protein powder to absorb slower due to the fat in the milk.
  • 4nakiaharmon
    4nakiaharmon Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I always eat after my workout. I find that I can't eat too heavy before...it makes me feel sluggish during. Try protein and some vegies. It hasn't stopped me from losing
  • Twiinkless
    Twiinkless Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes aren't the equivalent of a meal in terms of calories or nutrients, I think you may be getting them confused with meal replacement shakes, which is an easy thing to do since usually when you buy them from supermarkets they're stocked together and it can be hard to tell.
    Eating after you exercise is not only good for recovery, but your body also metabolises it faster in the 45 minutes or thereabouts after exercise, from what I've read.
    Plus, if you've got the calories left (which I'm guessing you would after exercising), don't worry about when you eat in terms of weight gain because your body doesn't treat a calorie any differently if you eat it at 3pm or 11pm.
  • JeceCanDoIt
    JeceCanDoIt Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Protein shake for recovery or rice cake with natural peanut butter. Yum!!
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    After every intense workout, there is a window of 30 to 45 min where body goes into an increase of anabolic state. Eating during this time is the best thing, since body will absorb all the nutrition much faster and recover.

After every workout, just as I finish, I drink a protein shake then I eat my regular meal a bit later. Use that window of opportunity and never loose it.

Actually this "anabolic" window has been debunked. It lasts much longer, up to 24hr's.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21289204
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I often mix protein powder with water and drink it on the way home. Not too many calories that way.
  • RoxyLDN
    RoxyLDN Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'd eat a banana just before or after doing sport.
    But I guess it also depends on the sort of exercise you are doing in the gym. Having extra protein is more necessary if you are doing strength training, otherwise, as long as you are eating the normal amounts it's ok.
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Yes protein shakes could be considered as meals but it's not like you'd be eating some steak and potatoes.. It's basically all liquid... If you're hungry after you workout then you need to eat.. You're body is telling you that it needs fuel... You could have Greek yogurt, some type of protein (like of tuna, eggs or chicken), a salad, etc.. There's plenty of stuff you could eat that isn’t too heavy so that you don't feel stuffed afterwards but you're still able to give your body something to replenish itself after working out...

Listen to your body, it's trying to tell you something....
  • iambatman41
    Options
    I eat half of a protein bar before working out and the other half afterwards. About 200 calories and I always have plenty of energy for the workout.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    a glass of chocolate milk is a good recovery as well if you don't have protein powder, depends if you are lifting heavy or just doing some cardio too.... ??
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    The anabolic window is a joke.
    Don't feel like you have to down a shake or eat the second you leave the gym.

That being said. I'm normally worn out and hungry after a good workout, so I prefer to get something in my body as soon as possible.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Don't have tea till after gym? Could have the snack etc before? x
  • cassavaca
    cassavaca Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    a glass of chocolate milk is a good recovery as well if you don't have protein powder, depends if you are lifting heavy or just doing some cardio too.... ??

I agree with ^^^ about the chocolate milk. Nestle quick has a FF or Low fat 100 cal bottles of choco milk. having one of those afterwards should suffice until bed time. Even something like a serving of fruit or yogurt/cheese stick can help.
  • lh12xx
    lh12xx Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    okay a protein shake with water, gotcha.

which poses my next question ... where do you reccommend buying them? any good websites etc? in the uk, that is :)
  • beezerphd
    beezerphd Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've been buying most of my stuff from http://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/

Seem to be the most reasonably priced (they also price match) and the delivery speeds are excellent.
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner around 5:30 - 6 on Mon/Wednes nights and then go to Zumba at the gym at 7. By the time I get home, I'm always hungry and have to eat a snack, or I won't go to sleep!
  • Yogie14
    Yogie14 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just have a handful of nuts!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    There are tons of around 200 calorie protein bars if you can't or don't want to do the shakes, I can't do dairy and all the tasty protein shake powders are based on whey. Read the labels on the bars and find one that has some protein, not too many carbs and not more than 200 calories, then just build that into you workout days. Gives your brain the idea you are having a late dessert, lol.
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    There is nothing more importnat then these two things
    Pre Workout Nutrition
    Post Workout Nutrition

in my opninion that is