Baaaaad MFP.. iphone app!!

Options
When you click "complete this entry' on the iphone app, it suggests that your target weight would be achievable in a given period of time based on how many calories you were under your daily amount. The bigger the deficit the shorter the time.

surely this is contrary to best advice of fuelling your body with the right amount of calories for your lifestyle?

I think that at first it lead me to eat a lot less than might have been healthy.

Replies

• JodieElijah
    JodieElijah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If i'm too far under my calories it has a message under it that says that your body isn't getting the property nutrients etc. Does yours not say that too?
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I hate that it says that! (The first message not the second) I had a day where I ate like **** but ran around like a morona and it told me "IF every day were like today you'd be (5 pounds less)". Okay maybe so, but my cholestrol would skyrocket and I would die early (cholestrol is a problem in my family)
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    If i'm too far under my calories it has a message under it that says that your body isn't getting the property nutrients etc. Does yours not say that too?

This...If you are too far under it reprimands you!
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    yeah
    I would love it to say sth like you were within 80-120% of your goal. Good job!
    or you only had 50% of your goal. You should eat more
  • LR32836FL
    LR32836FL Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Where does it say Complete This Entry on the app? I have been having to go to my desktop to complete the daily entries because I can't find on my Iphone where it says that.
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    the App is only doing simple math, it's not as smart as you are! If I like what it says I feel virtuous, if I disagree I ignore it. But I LOVE LOVE being able to log my food thru out the day, it's the only way I will do it
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I believe it does that no matter where you close your daily diary (computer, Iphone, Blackberry, IPad, etc). The message is just a basis for if you ate exactly the same for 5 weeks you would weigh ______. I don't give it much thought because ever day is not the same for me. I suppose if it kept telling me I would weigh more than I do now that would be a red flag!

Also, to Jodie, I've gotten that message a few times before too (not on purpose)!
  • acresfield
    acresfield Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I never had that message come up even though I was only eating about half of my recommended calories on my workout days.
    Knowing what I know now, I consider that nowhere near enough to maintain a healthy lifestyle. In fact I would even say that it supported my old beliefs of eat less and burn more, which is what I think might have lead me to yo yo dieting in the past.

Not a great feature of a really great site.
  • acresfield
    Options
    Where does it say Complete This Entry on the app? I have been having to go to my desktop to complete the daily entries because I can't find on my Iphone where it says that.

Its right at the bottom of the my diary section on the app.

In honesty I dont press it anymore. It seems the only function of that button is to tell you that message.
  • LR32836FL
    LR32836FL Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I thought if I didn't complete the entry it would register me at not having logged in. It says that message alot...and clearly I am logged in or I wouldn't SEE that message! It counts my sister as having logged in for 80 days in a row...me...it says "hasn't logged in in 3 days" even though I have. I figured if I completed the entry that would make it see me...anyway...not why you started this thread. Thanks for the information though. Your definitely right about the message that sends. I have thought, "ugghhh...I'm never going to get there" when it gives me that message...so although I am hitting the calories it would motivate me to reduce them.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    That is just the way that MFP is designed. I have changed my goals to maintenance and allow my FitBit to update my activity level. I presume that figure to be my TDEE or at least close and then only eat 80% of that. That way I don't stress over exercise calories or not eating enough. I allow myself to eat as much as my TDEE but no less than 80% of it. It has been working really well for me, and I eat a ton of food!!
  • acresfield
    Options
    That is just the way that MFP is designed. I have changed my goals to maintenance and allow my FitBit to update my activity level. I presume that figure to be my TDEE or at least close and then only eat 80% of that. That way I don't stress over exercise calories or not eating enough. I allow myself to eat as much as my TDEE but no less than 80% of it. It has been working really well for me, and I eat a ton of food!!

This is more or less exactly what I have started doing in the past few weeks. It took a little while for me to set up the fitbit correctly and get some kind of agreement generally between fitbit and mfp but it all seems to be chugging along quite nicely now. I log food with MFP, let fitbit update my exercise and every now and again find myself with some spare calories that I fill with chocolate... because I can :)
    I genuinely dont think that I have ever eaten as much as I have in this past week and I have lost half an inch off my waist.

Heartiest congrats on your progress to date!! Thats some going.

Ian
  • acresfield
    Options
    I thought if I didn't complete the entry it would register me at not having logged in. It says that message alot...and clearly I am logged in or I wouldn't SEE that message! It counts my sister as having logged in for 80 days in a row...me...it says "hasn't logged in in 3 days" even though I have. I figured if I completed the entry that would make it see me...anyway...not why you started this thread. Thanks for the information though. Your definitely right about the message that sends. I have thought, "ugghhh...I'm never going to get there" when it gives me that message...so although I am hitting the calories it would motivate me to reduce them.

I pressed complete entry today for the first time in a month today just to confirm that it sent that message and it says that I have logged in every day. Not entirely sure what the parameters are. Still, if you ignore the message then I dont suppose its a problem to just complete it.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I don't really mind it. My weight loss is quite slow so seing a pop up like this is encouraging.

If I am 1 calorie below my range it tells me to be careful, not consuming enough calories is unhealthy. 1 calorie under? Really, is it that big a deal?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

This is more or less exactly what I have started doing in the past few weeks. It took a little while for me to set up the fitbit correctly and get some kind of agreement generally between fitbit and mfp but it all seems to be chugging along quite nicely now. I log food with MFP, let fitbit update my exercise and every now and again find myself with some spare calories that I fill with chocolate... because I can :)
    I genuinely dont think that I have ever eaten as much as I have in this past week and I have lost half an inch off my waist.

Heartiest congrats on your progress to date!! Thats some going.

Ian

You know, it allows greater freedom for your diet too. I was trying to focus on building muscle while reducing fat so I was trying to get 100+ grams of protein into a 1500 calorie allowance. Now I eat about 2500 calories a day and I have no problems at all getting that protein. MFP just doesn't do a very good job at accounting for TDEE and calories burned.