BMR and TDEE question! SO CONFUSED!!!!!!

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
Hey guys! I'm 41 years old, female, 5'3 and 130lbs. My goal weight is 120lbs. I am moderately active and workout for an hour 5 days a week. My BMR according to fat to fit is 1324. I'm told I should eat 1,984 calories to reach my goal weight. Ok, now does this include my exercise calories or do I need to add those on to the 1,984 number?

If I burn 400 calories in a workout would my number then be 2,384? I'm so confused! UGH! Also is the 1,984 number my TDEE? I just need to know how many calories a day I should eat to reach my goal! Do I need to stay between 1,324 and 1,984?

Help please! Thanks so much!

Lisa

Replies

• Lisa1971
    Options
    Anyone????
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    No you don't add on exercise calories, unless you exercise so much that it is creating a deficit getting you too close to BMR.
  • jmm27
    jmm27 Posts: 34
    Options
    Im having the same issue, understanding all of it can be a real pain in the rear. I dont know if I am correct but I think you want to get as close to your BMR as possible. So if your BMR is 1324 and you eat 1300 during the day, and go home to workout and burn 400 calories that leave you with a net of 900. So I think you would need to eat at least 424 calories to get an even BMR. If this is correct, someone please let me know as I am trying to understand it as well.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I'm 41 years old, female, 5'3 and 130lbs. My goal weight is 120lbs. I am moderately active and workout for an hour 5 days a week. My BMR according to fat to fit is 1324. I'm told I should eat 1,984 calories to reach my goal weight. Ok, now does this include my exercise calories or do I need to add those on to the 1,984 number?

If I burn 400 calories in a workout would my number then be 2,384? I'm so confused! UGH! Also is the 1,984 number my TDEE? I just need to know how many calories a day I should eat to reach my goal! Do I need to stay between 1,324 and 1,984?

Lisa

Who told you that you SHOULD eat 1984 and where did this number come from? That is the important part we are missing. If you are using fat2fit radio, where you get your BMR, it should tell you at the bottom of the page how many calories you NEED to eat (you get the number based on how active you are/how many times you work out) so if that is what the 1984 number is then you would NOT eat your exercise calories because they are already calculated in for you. You do want to make sure you get in the number of workouts per week you set up to begin with or you will start throwing your calories off and you will be eating too much.

Edit to include: if you work out A LOT, then you need to make sure you NET at least your BMR.
  • moniqueonline
    moniqueonline Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was very confused too... until I read this post... I hope it helps ;)

Hello all!

I am fairly new to MFP (20 days in) but my daughter has been on for almost a year. We were talking about how we are losing inches but not pounds so my daughter started doing some research. She found quite a few posts on what to do but this following post makes it all so clear! Looking back at my diary, I was leaving 500-800 calories per day not eaten and I was not eating back the exercise calories either. On top of that, I was not at my correct caloric intake. No wonder I was not losing the weight! So, my fellow friends in need; I want to share this golden information with you! Feel free to add me as a friend as well!! Good luck my friends! I know you can do it...I believe in YOU!!

POSTED BY TIGERSWORD:

BMR is the amount of calories needed to survive in a coma. Maintenance calories are BMR x activity level. Based on the BMR you gave:

Sedentary: BMR x 1.2 = 1766 calories

Lightly Active: BMR x 1.375 = 2024 calories

Moderately Active: BMR x 1.55 = 2282 calories

Vigorously Active: BMR x 1.725 = 2539 calories

Extremely Active: BMR x 1.9 = 2797 calories

So, based on your daily activity level, which depends mostly on your job, you would be at any of those calorie levels. Take that number, subtract 500, and that's your calorie goal. If you burn extra calories by exercising, you add those to your goal.

Example, sedentary = 1766 maintenance. To lose a pound a week, you eat 1266 a day. If you burn 200 calories exercising that day, you eat 1466, which maintains that 500 calorie deficit. 1766+200=1966 maintenance calorie needs for that day. 1966-500=1466. That's why you eat exercise calories back, because your maintenance need increases when you exercise, and you need to account for that to ensure proper nutrition.

The easy part of all of this, is MFP automatically does this for you, as long as you set the goals accurately.
    Edited by tigersword on Thu 03/01/12 03:28 PM

This is my equation: EXAMPLE: 1890x1.375=2598.75BMR-500=2098.75+276(burned calories) =2374.75

I will need to eat 2374.75 calories to loose weight. Eat what you want, just eat healthy as well!

(To change your BMR go to: settingsupdate file/fitness programchange to whichever BMR best suits your activity level.)
  • hesgro2
    hesgro2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Lisa, I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, but my understanding is that your BMR is basically what you need just to wake up every morning and keep your body functioning throughout the day - with no added exercise, etc. So, based on what you have calculated 1,324 calories is what you need just to keep your body going. If you are burning 400 calories with exercise, then you would add that value to the 1,324. Based on that, you would need 1,724 calories (minimally) to keep your body fueled. Your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is the calculation based on your normal activity, including exercise.

My understanding is that you would want to fall somewhere between the 1,724 and the 1,984.

I know there are a lot of threads regarding BMR and TDEE, so you could probably benefit from searching out some of those discussions.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    I have no idea either I get confused with my numbers as well. I need someone just to say eat this not this and skip all the techno mumble jumble. Hope you get your answer in a way you understand. When I tried I got put down by a number of ones. Hope that doesn't happen with you. I know there is a lot of threads and such on it. I suggest searching it. If you have the time. I don't. I know a couple people have posted long answers to this type of question. My sleep deprived brain never can wrap itself around it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    OK, your BMR is 1324 so based on moderately active your estimated TDEE (BMR x 1.55) would be 2,052 which would, effectively be your maintenance number. To lose weight you would create a caloric deficit based on your preferred rate of loss (1 lb/wk would be 500 cal/day) which would give you approx 1500 cal including exercise.

This link may be helpful: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Im having the same issue, understanding all of it can be a real pain in the rear. I dont know if I am correct but I think you want to get as close to your BMR as possible. So if your BMR is 1324 and you eat 1300 during the day, and go home to workout and burn 400 calories that leave you with a net of 900. So I think you would need to eat at least 424 calories to get an even BMR. If this is correct, someone please let me know as I am trying to understand it as well.

No, you need to eat MORE than BMR but LESS than TDEE.

BMR means Basal Metabolic Rate, it is the number of calories they would feed you in a coma just to fuel your organs. TDEE means Total Daily Energy Expenditure, it is the number of calories to fuel all of your daily activities from the time you get up to the time you go to bed.

If you use the fat2fit radio website tool, this is telling you to eat the number of calories that will be your TDEE long term, even after you reach your goal weight. It will be the number of calories you should always need, assuming you do not change your activity level. If you eventually become a marathon runner, then it might change but in general that is what you will need now to lose weight and for your lifestyle forever to keep your goal weight.
  • kagero1976
    kagero1976 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Different calculators vary, but I basically use the advice off of www.hussmanfitness.com(great free informational site), that says to multiply your BMR times 1.3 on non workout days and 1.5 on workout days. That will give you the calories you use on that day. So for you that would be 1721 on non workout days and 1986 on workout days. If you want to lose a pound a week then you would need to eat 1221 on non workout days(although I wouldn't go below your BMR) and 1486 on workout days. Where you are fairly close to your goal, you might even want to go a little higher and aim to lose only a half a pound a week to make the calorie deficit more comfortable and less likely to make you hungry. Those percentages are also based on 20-40 minutes of cardio some days and 45 minutes of weight training other days for your exercises.
    He also says you can use 1.2 and 1.4 to figure out the numbers if you fear your metabolism is particularly slow.
  • Lisa1971
    Options

Lisa

Who told you that you SHOULD eat 1984 and where did this number come from? That is the important part we are missing. If you are using fat2fit radio, where you get your BMR, it should tell you at the bottom of the page how many calories you NEED to eat (you get the number based on how active you are/how many times you work out) so if that is what the 1984 number is then you would NOT eat your exercise calories because they are already calculated in for you. You do want to make sure you get in the number of workouts per week you set up to begin with or you will start throwing your calories off and you will be eating too much.

Edit to include: if you work out A LOT, then you need to make sure you NET at least your BMR.

Hi Lori. I went on fit to fat and this is what I was told when I put my info in..

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1536
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1760
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 1984
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2208
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2432

My BMR is actually 1332. I put in the wrong number for my BMR on the OP. sorry! But anyway....this is how I got the 1984 number based on my activity level. HTH!
  • Tracey1147
    Tracey1147 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    The best post to see to explain all is
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map

If you don't understand the first part, keep reading and it will all become clear. It helped me realise I was not eating enough
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!
  • jenna_scott
    jenna_scott Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am no expert by any menas but I have totally been researching this topic lately.

Your BMR (Basic Metobaolic Rate) is the amountof energy that you expend if you were in a coma and never moved. So breating and heart beating and digestion. Your TDEE is what you you expend by getting up and just moving around with normal activites (not including excercise).
  • deksgrl
    Options
    I am no expert by any menas but I have totally been researching this topic lately.

Your BMR (Basic Metobaolic Rate) is the amountof energy that you expend if you were in a coma and never moved. So breating and heart beating and digestion. Your TDEE is what you you expend by getting up and just moving around with normal activites (not including excercise).

TDEE includes all of your activities including exercise.

The only confusing part is that MFP calculates to lose weight without exercise. It also may set you below your BMR if you tell it you want to lose 1 pound a week or 2 pounds a week, it will give you the maximum amount of deficit to get you there, down to 1,200 calories. Since we know BMR is just enough to keep us alive, that is why people are hopping up and down around here about eating exercise calories, and to know your BMR and TDEE.
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    So basically I need to eat between 1324 and 2000 calories (I found out my TDEE is 2000.) So darn confusing! Thanks again everyone!
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Lisa

Hi Lori. I went on fit to fat and this is what I was told when I put my info in..

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1536
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1760
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 1984
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2208
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2432

My BMR is actually 1332. I put in the wrong number for my BMR on the OP. sorry! But anyway....this is how I got the 1984 number based on my activity level. HTH!

Great!...now when you decided that you were moderatively active were you basing that on how many times you work out per week (and not just having an active job)? If came up with that number b/c you workout 3-5 times per week then you do not need to eat back your exercise calories since you have already calculated your weekly workouts into that 1984 number. So...that is the number you would eat everyday (workout and non-workout days...it will even out for the week). The only caveat is that if you workout a lot more than what you initially thought and you see that your NET calories are below 1332, then you need to eat enough calories to get up to that number. Hope this helps!

Edit: if your TDEE is 2000, then the numbers fat2fit gave you may not be correct...if your BMR on fat2fit is correct, then the numbers below it should be correct and to get TDEE you would add 20% to that number. (But you don't really need TDEE if you are using fat2fit because it already works all of that out for you and tells you how many calories to eat (1984).
  • googsgirl
    googsgirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa,
    I have very similar stats to you ( 41 years old, 134 lb wanting to get to 125). I figure out my TDEE based on light activity and then eat back all my exercise calories. I set my Calorie goal right now to 1450 ( with the intention of eating back every one of the exercise cals). I think I could even set it for 1500 as I am pretty active during the day ( not including exercise) with caring for a toddler, housework, picking up the other kids from school etc. with my BMR at 1300 I figure it is pretty likely that the non exercise activities burn at least 200 cals in the span of 24 hours!

My TDEE, set at light activity is 1842. From this, I subtract 15% for a healthy deficeit of 1474. But then I eat back my exercise cals so I am eating about 1700-1800 cals net a day.
    For me, this is very doable. I am filling up on nutritious, whole foods like oatmeal, fresh fruit and veg., lean protein and whole grains. I have a huge salad every day with avocado, goat cheese, tons of field greens and roasted beets. It's better than a restaurant! I snack on nuts, string cheese, sometimes pretzles...

I do the 30 day shred or similar JM video atleast 5 days a week and walk on the weekends for atleast an hour, often pushing a stroller with a 30 pound toddler in it! I log each one of those exercise calories and enjoy the food I eat.

and I am always fueling my body with great food. I feel healthy and not like I am depriving my body of anything ( starving, or waiting for the next meal to "come").

When we are this close to the goal weight, we have to be patient. I want to be able to sustain this way of life forever, so I think this is the way to go.
    Now, that said, I have just begun to focus on weight loss ( I have always been a healthy eater and exercise, but never paid attention to calories), so HOPEFULLY i am on the right track.

I have read a lot on the groups for "women who eat more than 1800 cals" " Eat more to lose more" here on MFP and I am telling you, their boards are full of fit, toned and very healthy women. You rarely read a post like, " this isnt working!" or " I am starving, Help! and Gaining!"
    I truly believe that this is the way to go.

And if I don't lose those last 10 pounds this way????

To hell with it. I am sticking with eating and exercising this way anyway. it feels good and that will probably look better on me than anything!

Hope that helps,
    Andrea