Am I doing something wrong?

Options
I just started doing the 30 Day Shred. For the past 4 days, I've been on track with it, doing the program everyday to the best of my extent. I weighed myself at the beginning and I weighed myself this morning only to find out I had GAINED several pounds.

Here are my problems:

1. I don't know how many calories I burn doing it because there's no listing for it, so I just put circuit training - 20 minutes. Is there a listing for it? If not, what should I list it as?

2. I don't know what my caloric intake should be. I've already tried 1680, and that absolutely failed, and now I'm trying 1500. I really don't know what my goal should be because I don't want to gain weight back and I don't want my body to think I'm starving myself.

PLEASE HELP!!

Replies

• marbit
    marbit Posts: 108
    Options
    In terms of what your caloric intake should be, MFP should be telling you that when you set your goals. Usually b/w 1200 and 1450 (I have found that the 1450 worked better for me) + eating back exercise calories. It would help to see what you are eating, so you may want to open your diary up.

I know a lot of people have ways around the calories burned during 30DS, but I cant reccomend a heart rate monitor enough. I bought mine a few months back and have never regretted it, its fantastic. You can use it when you walk, run, elliptical, strength, circuit, 30DS, whatever, I LOVE IT! That should help you know at least what you are burnign in the day.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person, but you will burn approximately 225-300 calories based on your weight, sex and how hard you are really working out. I burned about 230 calories according to my HRM. I am 5'5" and approximately 156 lbs.

Have you tried letting MFP set your calories for you? Under your settings, put in all your vitals and how much you want to lose each week and it will calculate your calories for you.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    According to my HRM I burn about 150 cals doing 30DS, but that's me. I would agree with @marbit about getting a HRM they are invaluable.

As for what you're calorie intake should be, if you're that unsure, go back to using the MFP guided fitness goals and start by setting your goal at say half a lb or a lb and see how you get on.

Good luck
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    you are not alone. i have started doing 30 day shred and with it about 1,000 calories burnt walking and put on 6 lbs inside of 5 days. I am looking to eat more than the mfp suggestion and take it from there. 30 day shred isn't really a weight loss program, it's more for toning and shaping but it does work, I have done it before for a couple of weeks.

A good quality HRM is pretty essential so you can track your own calories. yesterday i burnt 233 calories doing shred..today I burnt 217. it just goes to show!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I gained when I started 30 Day Shred too. It's because it's a really tough workout and your muscles will retain water to repair after a tough workout. Don't worry. That weight will melt away! The system really does work well!
  • NWdreaming
    NWdreaming Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm 12 days in and I haven't lost a ton of weight but a ton of INCHES! I've had to buy new pants! Are your clothes fitting looser?
  • wxchaser
    wxchaser Posts: 178
    Options
    As for what you're calorie intake should be, if you're that unsure, go back to using the MFP guided fitness goals and start by setting your goal at say half a lb or a lb and see how you get on.

See, I did that, and I tried 2 different settings. I first tried lightly active, and that's when I gained back several pounds. I just switched back to sedentary and returned to my previous goal of 1500 calories so I can see if there's a difference.
  • wxchaser
    Options
    you are not alone. i have started doing 30 day shred and with it about 1,000 calories burnt walking and put on 6 lbs inside of 5 days. I am looking to eat more than the mfp suggestion and take it from there. 30 day shred isn't really a weight loss program, it's more for toning and shaping but it does work, I have done it before for a couple of weeks.

I'm not really using it for weight loss, I'm in it for toning, especially my arms, which I want to look spectacular for my friend's wedding in 2 months. I'm a bridesmaid and I hate that my dress is strapless because I've got so much arm jiggle. That's the main reason why I'm doing 30DS. But the fact that I've gained so much is kinda scaring me.
  • wxchaser
    Options
    I'm 12 days in and I haven't lost a ton of weight but a ton of INCHES! I've had to buy new pants! Are your clothes fitting looser?

I just finished day 4, so I haven't see very much yet in that department. I've heard about losing inches, and that's one of the main reasons why I bought it.
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    It's just muscle! Calm down and stick with it! :)
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    As a female it's really difficult to compare day to day weights, as hormonal fluctuations, bowel habits, water retention, etc. can cause you to fluctuate several pounds. Be patient and stick with it. As far as how many calories you're eating, what do you mean by "1680 failed miserably?" In what way?
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    4 days is not enough time to see any solid results other than maybe in gaining some energy and feeling better. To really see results, figure your correct calorie intake, stick with your exercise plan and be consistent with the whole thing for at least one month (probably more). Your body takes time to adjust to new things. Be patient, it will happen :flowerforyou:
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have read that the first week or so you start something new and intense, your body is sore, and you may have some slight swelling etc from all the intensity...that and water retention... Stick with it for 2 or 3 weeks and see if you see changes... and water...adequate water intake will help :)
  • Tara1090
    Tara1090 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The gain weight can be from your muscles retaining water. Its is only 4 days, you have 26 more days to go. Your body may not be used to such a rigorous workout. Give it a few more weeks. I also feel that its not really about the number on the scale but how you feel, and how your clothes fit. If you have not already, take measurements and then compare in a few weeks.
  • NickPineault
    Options
    Sounds to me like your are gaining muscle.

Remember, muscles are three times more dense than fat.

That means that you can stay the same weight, and look 3 times better.

My advice : it's not bad to have a goal weight in mind, but just don't get too caught up with it. What you want to change isn't your weight, it's your muscle to fat ratio, AKA your body composition.

(shameless plug)
    I explain it all more clearly in a short video on Youtube, if you mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFONV-1hlG8
    I just started doing the 30 Day Shred. For the past 4 days, I've been on track with it, doing the program everyday to the best of my extent. I weighed myself at the beginning and I weighed myself this morning only to find out I had GAINED several pounds.

Here are my problems:

1. I don't know how many calories I burn doing it because there's no listing for it, so I just put circuit training - 20 minutes. Is there a listing for it? If not, what should I list it as?

2. I don't know what my caloric intake should be. I've already tried 1680, and that absolutely failed, and now I'm trying 1500. I really don't know what my goal should be because I don't want to gain weight back and I don't want my body to think I'm starving myself.

PLEASE HELP!!
  • stevemcqueengirl
    stevemcqueengirl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I did not lose weight from 30 Day Shred but I did lose inches. Also, my posture, muscle tone, and stamina for other workouts (i.e. treadmill, etc) has signficantly improved. Please do not be discouraged. As mentioned from above posts, it could be muscle gain and muscles retaining water. This will pass. Be patient and finish the program for it will be worth it. Completing 30-Day Shred will set the stage for other JM DVDs such as Ripped in 30, Banish Fat/Boost Metabolism.

You can do this!
  • fatfiske
    fatfiske Posts: 33
    Options
    I agree with the comment above. When doing a new exercise routine, especially a vigorous one like 30DS, your muscles will retain some water at first. This is because they aren't used to the exercise and work you're putting them through. If you don't see a change in two weeks, you can look at other causes, but I wouldn't worry yet. Just keep it up!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    4 days is too soon to evaluate any exercise or diet change. Give it 2-3 weeks and evaluate. Your weight can fluctuate daily from sodium intake, water intake and even the amount of sleep you are getting!

Take measurements not, and record and track them as you go through the 30 day shred and be patient!
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I gained when I started 30 Day Shred too. It's because it's a really tough workout and your muscles will retain water to repair after a tough workout. Don't worry. That weight will melt away! The system really does work well!

^^^this. I gained 4lbs when I first started doing it. Going to start back at it this week - I am expecting a gain - but inches tend to follow - dropping.

Good luck.

x
  • wxchaser
    Options
    As far as how many calories you're eating, what do you mean by "1680 failed miserably?" In what way?

I gained 5lbs in 2 days.