MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice about recovery. I do a lot of stretching, I take a nap, and I do the feet up on the wall thing too. Today I did an hour of treading water. My neighbor is a track coach, and he said that it helps runners to get their legs back. It really did help!

Another great tip! So much wonderful information! You guys are amazing.:flowerforyou:

I have not tried the pool yet but a couple of my neighbors who are regular marathoners swear by the pool. One of them is not a "swimmer" so she uses a kick board to kick up and down the pool for 20-30 minutes.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice about recovery. I do a lot of stretching, I take a nap, and I do the feet up on the wall thing too. Today I did an hour of treading water. My neighbor is a track coach, and he said that it helps runners to get their legs back. It really did help!

Another great tip! So much wonderful information! You guys are amazing.:flowerforyou:

I have not tried the pool yet but a couple of my neighbors who are regular marathoners swear by the pool. One of them is not a "swimmer" so she uses a kick board to kick up and down the pool for 20-30 minutes.

Oh yeah, swimming is great too!! When I go to the Y to run, I use the treadmill and then swim. REALLY helps a lot w/ recovery!! :bigsmile:
  • armcc1990
    Options
    Hi, I am new to myfitnesspal and I am somewhat of a runner. I run/jog on my treadmill, I have a hard time on the streets because of my back. I live in Denver and would love to jog in the mornings outside. I am originally from Los Angeles and when my family and I go back to visit, I jog on the beach and I just love it! I will be starting P90X+ tomorrow along with my jogging( I need the extra cardio and I just love the feeling I get after I have jogged for 5 miles on the treadmill, told you I was somewhat of a runner, LOL).

Have a great evening!
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Got in 8 miles today really early this morning! Felt great to be able to do so well by myself. I def find it really easy to run with the group so I was proud of myself for running the whole time. It is such a pleasure to run in the morning: beautiful scenery, nice light, friendly awake people not in a rush! Def enjoyed it!
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this posted about recovery after long runs, but ice, and/or cold showers on the legs is amazing directly after the run. I know, it sucks! Here's the scoop. Everything begins to swell right after a long run and you need to get the lactic acid and free radicals out of those muscles. Cooling them down helps stimulate blood flow (reduced swelling) and get's all of that garbage out. Ibuprofen too helps thin the blood and get more blood through the muscles.

The posts about walking, stretching, swimming, or anything light activity is great too. Basically, it helps get blood flowing in those muscles again... see the theme? Get that garbage (lactic acid and free radicals) out.

That's a good recipe for recovery. The cold shower is my preference, and I rub the muscles out with the cold water too. It's amazing how well it helps, because in times I can't get the cold shower in I notice a major difference.

BTW... I hate dogs because I am a runner. Too many close calls, but soo sorry to hear about getting bitten. Glad to hear your out again.

Raymond
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I've been lurking but haven't done much posting lately.
    I'll catch you up to date on me, you know I had the week before last when I went to the dr so I took it light and last week got back out to run. I ran 4 miles Monday (sore and stiff), ran 5 miles Weds at the track and felt better and then On Thursday I ran 6 miles and felt really, really good. So, I took Friday off to prepare for a longer run on Saturday and I ran 10 miles.

I started having a little foot pain around mile 3 but I ran through it and felt pretty good the rest of the run but as the day went on yesterday by Sat. night, it was hard to walk on my right foot. I should have taken an Ibuprofen or something and that probably would have helped. I had a small amount of swelling, so I alternated ice and heat and it feels SO much better today. I did just get a new pair of running shoes and it was first run in them so that could have something to do with it too. The pain is hard to describe because I know what Plantar fasciitis pain feels like but this is sore to the touch on the side of my foot down low below the ankle. I honestly have just been having a mental battle with myself because I get so depressed when I hurt, and every pain I wonder- "is this normal, is this serious, can I run through it, will I make it worse?" does anyone else do this? then you know what I do, which is NOT something I would advise, i get to a point like last night while I was in pain and threw myself a pity party worrying that I couldn't train like I want to, that I started eating and eating and eating. And of course I woke up this morning feeling horrible about that! Ok, I'm sorry for the long post, I plan on running an easy 4 miles in the morning. I feel so much better when I run and it doesn't hurt, it's when I hurt and can barely walk that depression sets in...
    So, my question is how sore are you guys normally after a long run? do you sometime have trouble walking, or are stiff? Thank you for all the tips, I'm going to be using them!!

Kechie- you are awesome and such a wonderful experienced runner that we are lucky to have on here!
    Guster girl- Congratulations on meeting your fundraising goal and thank you so much for all the advice on how to raise some $$$
    Christine- I am glad that you weren't hurt too badly, I love dogs but am terrified of running into a pack of big dogs and being bitten
    Thalli- WOOHOO 18.5 miles, girl you are right there!!! Awesome, awesome
    Raymond- always nice to see you posting on here and thank you for all the good advice you give us
    Becky and Kelynn- I hope that you both are feeling good and congratulations on getting your runs in
    And to Leash- I love reading your positive posts, you always inspire and motivate me to keep trucking along!!
    And to everyone else- Happy Running :flowerforyou: I love hearing what you are all up to!
  • Laine
    Laine Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I have a question for all you runners. I am in the middle of the couch to 5k and wondering when and if I will ever NOT struggle. Do you all feel like you were born to run or did you get into it later? I hear everyone talk about how much they love to run--do you think ANYBODY could feel that way or is it some crazy running gene or something?
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    good morning, I had a really good 4 mile run this morning so I am feeling better!! Hopefully my foot will stay pain-free and then I will really feel good. Happy Running :flowerforyou:
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Runnerdad: I am dealing with the same thing and my lovely daughter who started back with Volleyball practice last week and has whined all weekend about being so sore. I'm pretty sure that is why I suggested she do more training this summer than just the 1 open gym a week that she was attending.

You know, you expect that from teenagers, so the first summer I wasn't surprised. I thought he learned his lesson, so I was a little disappointed (but not really surprised) when he pulled the same trick last summer. When I listened to all the whining last September, I figured OK, now he really gets it. Now that the cycle is repeating the third time,you can't help but think ' at what point do you realize this is not just parental nagging and want to do this for yourself?' It's not like I expect him to do anything I don't do myself. Maybe next year:laugh: :laugh:

Thanks Runnerdad - I always like to start my Monday morning with a good chuckle. How about a wager on which of our kids spends next summer training instead of texting:wink:
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Good morning -- it's Monday -- blah!:grumble:

Got in 12 miles yesterday -- but they were the hardest 12 miles ever! It was 87 degrees and humid! I did take a water bottle this time and hid it -- which would have been helpful if I hadn't guzzled the whole bottle -- which ended up giving me cramps. I also missed the window on eating -- so I went out running at 4:30pm after drinking one protein shake all day. (no wonder I was dragging!) I hope to one day get this eating/hydrating thing down....I have a dream!

Thanks for all the posts about recovering after a long run. I have no good advice -- we end up going for a Slurpee after we run. Then it's home to shower and stretch. Sometimes I can stomach food -- but mostly I just have a very light snack. We get home around 8pm so it's not long after I return that I'm heading to bed. I really need to get in a good routine that will help my muscles recover. When I run in the mornings, I make a protein shake smoothie with a banana. Yummmm -- and I can definitely tell a difference in my recovery.

WW -- hope you continue to feel better! I am so nervous I will get hurt before my race -- I'm anxious and obsessive about any little pain....so I know all about the pity party -- i have thrown them for myself too! Just keep on taking care of yoursel!
    Gustergirl -- great job on the solo 8 miles!
    Laine -- keep it up and it will get easier. And I'm not sure what I love about running. I think it's the after effects more so than the actual running. I enjoy my long runs with my friend where we talk about everything (and occassionally solve a world problem or two :laugh: )

Enjoy your day!:flowerforyou:
  • Emmyleww
    Emmyleww Posts: 278
    Options
    Good morning! I have a question for all you runners. I am in the middle of the couch to 5k and wondering when and if I will ever NOT struggle. Do you all feel like you were born to run or did you get into it later? I hear everyone talk about how much they love to run--do you think ANYBODY could feel that way or is it some crazy running gene or something?

I feel exactly the same way. I do feel better once I'm done but I'm not sure if it's because I ran through the struggle and feeling good or just relief that it's over. I'm hoping though that I will eventually love running. Kechie has said she doesn't necessarily love running but loves what it does for her. Maybe we could both just hope for that at the very least.
  • duffyzmom
    Options
    I hate running by scary dogs! I'm glad you weren't hurt!

Today I ran 18.5 miles (my most ever!) The marathon training is getting tough! My legs are really tired and sore now. Hopefully they'll feel better soon.

18.5 miles!!! <jumping up and down> GO GO GO :drinker:

Let's all share some post "long" run recovery tips.

After my "long" run I lay down on the floor and put my heels on the wall. According to Runner's World, this keeps all of the blood from rushing to your legs after you finish a long run.

What do you do after a "long" run to start recovery?

Bear in mind that I've only done one full marathon - but any run over 12 miles I head straight to an ice bath. For me that means one small bag of ice in a cold tub of water. Then I would sit in the water for around 15-20 minutes. In the tub I would drink my post workout drink of choice - for me that means a blueberry smoothie. A lot of runner's swear by ice baths - it really does stop any inflammation before it has a chance to set in. Despite soreness on long run day - I always felt 100% by the next morning.
  • dacialyn
    Options
    Hi ALL!

Just wanted to introduce myself since I just joined!

I'm getting ready to coach the Vegas 1/2 Marathon for CCFA (Crohn's and Colitis Foundation)
    in December!

I'm super syched but know this will kick my butt into shape too! So it's a challenge!
    I have done 3 1/2 marathons before but I don't run or jog on a normal basis. I do some but I'm really into dance, cardio and tae bo.

Our first group training is in 2 weeks, so I've been getting out and doing some low mileage to keep those legs in check! :happy:
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    No running for me today. I am gonna take the week off from running. I think I over did it 2 weeks ago and just want to get back to pain free running. I think I won't be able to do the McGuire mudrun at the end of Sept either. I will have to find a worthy runner to take my spot on my team. Really bummed about that.:frown:

Everyone who is running. Have a great run. and to everyone that is not running due to injuries, get better soon! :drinker:
  • duffyzmom
    Options
    Jadbye: Just a quick question What exactly is the window for eating? because I'm pretty sure I left mine open :laugh:

Rest day for me - Race is Saturday so now I'm trying not to obsess over the extended forecast but am keeping my fingers crossed for a nice cool morning with low humidity.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I hate running by scary dogs! I'm glad you weren't hurt!

Today I ran 18.5 miles (my most ever!) The marathon training is getting tough! My legs are really tired and sore now. Hopefully they'll feel better soon.

18.5 miles!!! <jumping up and down> GO GO GO :drinker:

Let's all share some post "long" run recovery tips.

After my "long" run I lay down on the floor and put my heels on the wall. According to Runner's World, this keeps all of the blood from rushing to your legs after you finish a long run.

What do you do after a "long" run to start recovery?

Bear in mind that I've only done one full marathon - but any run over 12 miles I head straight to an ice bath. For me that means one small bag of ice in a cold tub of water. Then I would sit in the water for around 15-20 minutes. In the tub I would drink my post workout drink of choice - for me that means a blueberry smoothie. A lot of runner's swear by ice baths - it really does stop any inflammation before it has a chance to set in. Despite soreness on long run day - I always felt 100% by the next morning.

I like the idea of an ice bath. I may start using it when I start doing longer runs. It would definitely help with the shin splints/tendonitis.
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    I have been in contact with the folks at Hammer Nutrition. I use some of their products. And they believe you should not eat anything substantial within 3 hours of a long run. I have eaten 2 hours prior and had horrible cramps -- so I'm going to try this theory.

About the ice bath -- yikes -- when I get done with a long run I am usually freezing cold (maybe the Slurpee is to blame :drinker: ) In any case the thought of doing that makes me shiver. Do you at least follow it with a hot shower? I'll try anything to ease the post run aches -- but I'm not sure I could take it!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    A little under 3 for me today.

I may not be a long runner yet but I find that putting my feet in ice after longer runs is instant relief and keeps my feet from feeling so tired later in the day.

If you can't stand an ice bath, I would suggest taking a hot shower and then gradually reducing the temp of the water until it is cold...plus it's good for the skin so bonus :wink:
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Thanks Runnerdad - I always like to start my Monday morning with a good chuckle. How about a wager on which of our kids spends next summer training instead of texting:wink:

Oh, you can be sure the texting will get more effort next summer than the training around my house :laugh: So cross country team work-outs started today, and they had to run something like 4.5 miles. Considering that is probably twice the distance of any run he has done in months, I was laughing a little on the inside. I hung out to meet the other parents and the coach (new school this year), and then headed out myself for a 3.5 mile tempo run. We were running different courses, but ended up on the same loop for our final lap, so it was sort of fun to breeze past him on the home stretch.

My typical long run recovery: grab some cold water or gatorade and drink it while I walk around the block to keep the blood moving while my heart rate recovers, then I have a smoothie with protein powder and a banana or whatever I have on hand. I do some light stretching while I drink the smoothie, then hit the shower. (I'm with Raymond, a cool shower with a leg rub down works as well for me as an ice bath, and it's a whole lot more pleasant. I only do the ice bath thing if I come off my run already really sore). Follow up with some more stretching, then breakfast.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    WW- glad to hear you're up and running again- awesome job!

I just love seeing the discussions on here- I learn so much about topics that I never even knew I needed to know about :laugh: :noway:

Since I'm newer to running, maybe you could give me some pointers about my "eating window". I am on week 8 of couch to 5k and this past week was the first time I really started to feel like I was dragging big time on my runs (about 2.25 miles at this point). I eat lunch at 1:00 (usually fruit, yogurt, a salad, maybe a granola bar- about 350 calories) and then I have a snack (usually soy crisps) at about 3:00/3:15. At about 5:00 I have half of a protein bar (100 calories) and then by 6:00 I'm out running... dragging lately :ohwell: It has been warm and humid, but I really just feel blah when I'm running.

Last Monday was the hottest, most humid day of the summer, and I went out and did my run fine. But, I also didn't get my afternoon snack in that day (that was the day we had a squirrel get into our apartment and I was in the hallway for hours, and then had to clean up the whole apartment, change quickly, and head out for a run- I was wiped and thought I would do horrible, especially given the weather, but I felt the best that day out of any:noway: Could skipping the afternoon snack have had a positive effect on my running?:huh: ). I know there's no magical answer, but you all are more experienced than me, so I'm wondering if anything stands out to you as something I'm doing wrong, or should try doing differently?