MFP Runner's Club

Options
kechiemc
kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
Welcome to MFP Runner's Club

We are a friendly group that posts to this post daily. We post about our runs, walks, rests, and cross training. We hope to support and inspire you on your journey.

Replies

• JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    As I am new to running, I wonder how many times a week I am supposed to run. I have been running two miles the last 4 days. I am a little sore and tired, but planning to run again this afternoon. How should I be planning my running? Any help is appreciated.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Personally, I would take today off. If you're just getting back to running, 5 days in a row is a lot of impact on your body. It sounds like it's telling you it's tired, so I would listen.
    I am running 4 days a week right now. T/Sat are distance runs for me 7+, Fri is middle distance 5, Thursday is fast short run of 3 miles. My goal is to make 5 miles my *short run* and 5-10 my middle distance, over 10 long.
    Cycle day for me...
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Here is a link to the previous posts: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/58909-mfp-runner-s-club

Good morning everyone!

I'll be back to post in a little bit...just wanted to make sure I got that link in before it "disappeared" Lol.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Nothing again for me today. I am still feeling crappy. I hate summer colds! I know it is from coming and going between the A/C and humid weather outside.

Heather, we never got the rain you ran through yesterday but I am told it is supposed to be wicked later on today. We shall see.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I went out today and did an easy 3 miles as a recovery run. I have been traveling the last 4 days and go to do beautiful run on Monday in Colorado Springs, CO. However, next time I am checking running sites before I pick a route. I thought with my GPS watch I would just run along the river next to the hotel I was staying at. However, 1 mile down the road there were signs for a state Prison and don't pick up hitchhikers. I turned around and ran around the hotel parking lot. :happy:
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Chenoachem -- never thought about running into a "bad" zone! Been looking at watches so I could have the freedom to go wherever. What kind of watch do you use? I've been researching -- so any info would be appreciated! So far looks like the Garmin is the most popular and accurate -- just need to decide how much I'm willing to spend!!!

Sherry -- sorry you still feel yucky -- hopefully it will pass soon!

Jdubard-- I run 5 days a week -- but break it up so I never run more than 3 days in a row. Rest is important to allow your muscles to repair.

I got in 5.5 miles today. tomorrow is my tempo run -- 7miles -- and once again i am dreading it! Have already decided it's okay if I can't keep up -- I'll just do my best (now that's what I'm thinking right now -- we'll see how the competitive monster inside me feels tomorrow -- hopefully it won't be a push till you puke! :sick: )

Enjoy your day!
    Julie
  • Emmyleww
    Emmyleww Posts: 278
    Options
    Jdubard - I only run 3 days a week because of my schedule but am hoping to up it to 4 or 5 times. I think you should definitely rest today to give your muscles a break to recover.

It's going to be a very busy day for me so I wanted to post at work when I got the chance. It's proving to be hectic already and I've only been here 2 hours. So, after work I'm going to run my usual 3 miles but I'm going to try to increase the speed a little. I just found a 5k I'd like to do at the end of August and I don't want to be the last one across the line. Later I'll be playing tennis then right from there going to my volleyball game.

Have a great day everybody!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    As I am new to running, I wonder how many times a week I am supposed to run. I have been running two miles the last 4 days. I am a little sore and tired, but planning to run again this afternoon. How should I be planning my running? Any help is appreciated.

I would take a day off. Until you've been running for at least 10-12 weeks and your tendons, bones, and ligaments have had time to adjust you shouldn't be running more than 3-4 times a week. After that, based on how you feel, you can move it up to 5, even 6 days a week so long as you stagger the type of run (LSD, hills, speed play). If you feel like you can do more, than go for it. But your body is sore for a reason.

I actually got up at 6am this morning to run, got off the couch, stood up....

...and promptly fell backwards into the couch and was comatose before I could even put my head on the pillow. I just can't seem to get myself to run in the mornings during the summer. Its so effing hot, and we don't have A/C. It's taking me a few hours a night just to fall asleep, so getting up early just isn't realistic. I'll be going out for a run this evening before we go to the bar for trivia night :laugh:

Need to earn me some beer calories!
  • bgood14
    bgood14 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    greetings all...just a quick post to capture the thread. hope to have good news to report later today.

kechie -- quick question: I've seen other threads that go long, and it appears MFP puts a link in the first post that shows how to get back to previous chapters, and by the same token it puts a link in the last post pointing to the new thread. any idea how that happens? maybe i'll break in on one of these others i've been evesdropping on and see what they say.
  • jabdye
    Options
    wow -- good news -- we'll all be waiting patiently to hear what it could be!!! :noway:
  • bgood14
    Options
    okay, that face is cracking me up! i guess it's not that big a deal, so i don't want to overpromise and underdeliver. let's just say i'm lacing up the running shoes today, and after sitting out for three full weeks from a stupid basketball injury, if i get even 1 mile in it will be a big deal to me. wish me luck.
  • bgood14
    Options
    kechie -- quick question: I've seen other threads that go long, and it appears MFP puts a link in the first post that shows how to get back to previous chapters, and by the same token it puts a link in the last post pointing to the new thread. any idea how that happens? maybe i'll break in on one of these others i've been evesdropping on and see what they say.

please disregard that post -- i have yet to complete my reading of the full MFP Runner's Club Anthology, and I see that you all are very familiar with the process of starting a new thread. i guess it just has to "lock" before it will post the link? maybe i should go back to the previous thread and just post a bunch until it locks up. hmm...
  • jabdye
    Options
    that IS A BIG DEAL!!! GOOD LUCK....GOOD LUCK.....GOOD LUCK!!! :drinker:
    :smokin: Hope you have a happy, pain-free run!
  • kechiemc
    Options
    greetings all...just a quick post to capture the thread. hope to have good news to report later today.

I have seen this too! I think the poster manually puts the links to previous chapters into the new post.? Can't hear what you find out!:smile:
  • kechiemc
    Options
    please disregard that post -- i have yet to complete my reading of the full MFP Runner's Club Anthology, and I see that you all are very familiar with the process of starting a new thread. i guess it just has to "lock" before it will post the link? maybe i should go back to the previous thread and just post a bunch until it locks up. hmm...

I don't think so. I think the new thread is displayed as soon as I post it. At least, I could see them both in recent posts - fitness and exercise after I posted this morning. I have noticed that it seems a little tricky to catch our board under recent posts since we stopped starting a new thread each day.? So, I just access the thread from community - my topics.

Hth
    -Kechie.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    I actually got up at 6am this morning to run, got off the couch, stood up....

...and promptly fell backwards into the couch and was comatose before I could even put my head on the pillow. I just can't seem to get myself to run in the mornings during the summer. Its so effing hot, and we don't have A/C. It's taking me a few hours a night just to fall asleep, so getting up early just isn't realistic. I'll be going out for a run this evening before we go to the bar for trivia night :laugh:

Need to earn me some beer calories!

Love beer too!:drinker:

Since you have no a/c you are excused for missing your workout this am.:smile:
  • kechiemc
    Options

Welcome to the Runner's Club! You are so smart for setting a goal to lose the baby weight.:flowerforyou: I think running is a great way to help you. I've been running for a couple of years now and even when I don't weigh what I want to my body looks so much better from running.

In running, it is important to avoid getting injured so you can keep running.:laugh: Rest days play an important role in avoiding injury. I say keep running 4 days a week but go out every other day to give your body time to recover and repair from the run. On the other 3 days, go for a brisk walk and do some kind of stretching routine (you can find tons of these free online).

I love Couch to 5K for starting out. However, if you can already run two miles, you don't need such an easy program.:drinker:
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Nothing again for me today. I am still feeling crappy. I hate summer colds! I know it is from coming and going between the A/C and humid weather outside.

Take care Sherry:flowerforyou:
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Two words...TEMPO RUN...ARGHHHHH:sad: :sad: :sad:

They are NOT fun in general...then add heat and humidity t'boot and it makes a grown woman want to cry!

Needless to say, I made it through in the time recommended by RW, and I feel great now, but I wanted to die while running! :sick:

Here's the breakdown:

Goal - Tempo Run
    Dist: 8 mi, inc
    Warm; 6 mi @ 8:22; Cool

I did this:

Warm-up: 9.48
    Mile 1: 8.08
    Mile 2: 8.08
    Mile 3: 8.14
    Mile 4: 8.21
    Mile 5: 8.49 (pooped the bed on that mile! LOL)
    Mile 6: 8.09
    Cool down: 9.53

Not bad, with the excption of mile 5. On average I ran 8.11, which is good.

Glad it is over! Whew!
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options

Heather, we never got the rain you ran through yesterday but I am told it is supposed to be wicked later on today. We shall see.

Ick! Hope you'[re feeling better soon. I had a sinus thing going on a few days ago. It stinks!