MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Heather --
    :drinker: CONGRATS on your tempo run -- but seriously -- you are NOT helping me! I have a 7 mile tempo run tomorrow that I am DREADING!!! I was unable to finish last weeks without stopping....so now I'm all geared up and nervous. Hoping I can at least come close! PLEASE send me some of your... fast running, no-puking, lots of energy....vibes. PLEASE! And NO I ain't too proud to beg :sad:

You'll do fine!! I'm sending you all the fast running, no puking vibes you need to get you through. I'm telling you, I dread tempo runs just as much as you. I'll take a good speed workout over a tempo run anyday. At least you get some recovery time with the speed work.

Let us know how it goes. You said yourself you are competitive as all get-out. I'm willing to bet you won't let yourself stop a second time! :happy:

Rock it hard,girl!!! :drinker: Just think of how good you'll feel once you've finished.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I havent been around in a while... it's been pretty busy over here and I havent had much computer time.

But I have been working out!! Just today I hit 300 miles that I've run so far this year!! Only 200 more and I reach my goal! woohoo! :smile:

WOO HOO. Congrats on reaching 300!:drinker:
  • presariofaded
    Options
    Hey guys, I havent been around in a while... it's been pretty busy over here and I havent had much computer time.

But I have been working out!! Just today I hit 300 miles that I've run so far this year!! Only 200 more and I reach my goal! woohoo! :smile:

wow! good job! im only at 58 miles out of 100 for my summer goal.
    i did week 5 day 1 for C5K earlier today, then about an hour ago I ran my fastest mile run yet, 9:30. I just had a lot of energy and I wanted to let it all out. It worked :laugh: but I got a little dizzy/nauseous, maybe from looking down at the ground? I just felt like I was going really fast lol.

oh and a question for distance runners; what pace do you run at?
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

i did week 5 day 1 for C5K earlier today, then about an hour ago I ran my fastest mile run yet, 9:30. I just had a lot of energy and I wanted to let it all out. It worked :laugh: but I got a little dizzy/nauseous, maybe from looking down at the ground? I just felt like I was going really fast lol.

Depends on the distance and what my goal is for the day. If I want a slow recovery run, I run 12 min miles, if I am out for long runs 11min miles, if I want to do race pace 5k, 8-9 min runs.
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Good morning Runners!

Sounds like everyone had a great day yesterday; I did as well. Did some cross training yesterday...25 minutes of the strength program on the treadclimber. WOW, that was serious! Didn't think my legs were going to make it through the whole thing at first, but by the end I thought I could have kept going. I'm going out pretty soon for my 6 mile tempo run. I'll take all leftover fast running, no puking vibes. :laugh: Hopefully it's not too gross outside yet. At least it will be done and over with...and I'll have earned myself some exercise cals for my birthday dinner. Whoo hoo!

I'll be back to let you know how it went. Hopefully there won't be any crying for my mom -she is an hour away!

Enjoy your day! :flowerforyou:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Good morning:flowerforyou:

Another rest day for me.

Last night, I enjoyed a great tasting healthy recipe - Ginger Chicken with Broccoli from Runner's World. Don't be initimidated by the length of the recipe. It is worth it! Go to runnersworld.com for that and other healthy delicious recipes.:drinker:

Wishing everyone wonderful runs, walks, rests, and cross trains today
    -Kechie.
  • kblu0816
    kblu0816 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    Well last night was not a good night for running apparently. I got on the tredmill, since it was really nasty humid out, and started some interval training. Haven't done it in some time so I took it a little easier than I normally do but ten minutes in my right knee started pounding :cry: So I went on this new machine I saw. One specifically for incline walking only. I was burning more calories on there and working up more of a sweat!! I think I found my fallback incase my knee continues to throb. And I feel great this morning!!! Still no more pounds coming off but I'm optimistic.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Hello Runners! I got in a super 6 mile run this morning! Ran w/ 2 of my buddies. Then came home for my Insanity workout, Cardio & Recovery. It's mainly just a stretching/ yoga type workout which felt great after running! I'm loving the Insanity workouts, a super change of pace since I'm done training for races for a bit. :wink:

Keep up the great work everyone!
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options

Congratulations, you are over halfway to your summer goal:drinker: The C25k is a great program.

There are so many factors that affect my running pace that I try to focus on my effort during each run. It is so good for your body to train at all different paces. Here is a sample week for me:

I run a long slow distance once a week. A long run is anything over your upcoming race distance. If you're a newbie, say 5K or 3.1 miles. I run my long slow distance run at a conversational pace. This run helps build your endurance. Once you start running lsd's, the short runs seem easier.

I run a tempo or speed workout once a week. Run slow (conversational pace) to warm up, run comfortably hard (can say 3 words but would prefer not to) for some time period or distance, jog to recover between hard running, and run slow to cool down. These runs help you build up your tolerance to lactic acid and oxygen debt.

Then I'll run easy once or twice a week. This run will be close to the same pace (a little bit faster paced) as my long slow distance but it will cover less distance.

Hth
    -Kechie.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Went and ran some intervals yesterday on my 10k program. Also, apparently a friend of mine from high school has finally gone into remission from thyroid cancer, which became lymphatic cancer. In celebration, she is going to be running the Livestrong 5k in Philadelphia. I'm considering running, but at the very least I'll be showing up. I suppose I'm kind of shy to run my first *real* 5k, plus I detest running in hot weather :laugh:

Still, its a good cause so I think I'll go. Besides, whats the point of training for a 10k if I haven't run a 5k yet??
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL!!!! The fast running vibes worked! But I have to say at mile 4.5 of my 5 mile tempo I was struggling -- but started laughing at an earlier post when someone said WWMFPRCLFD (What would my fitnall pal runner's club friends do!) and I pushed on! didn't want to have to come in this morning and report that I couldn't do it! SO.....

I DID IT!!! Yeeehaww!!!!

7 mile tempo run
    1 mile warm up
    5 miles (was supposed to be at 8:43 pace but my treadmill had 8:49 and 8:41 -- so I ran 2.5 miles at 8:49 and 2.5 miles at 8:41)
    1 mile cool down

Feels good to have accomplished that tempo after last week. Whew! Must've been all the good vibes -- thanks again!
    Julie
  • SherryRH
    Options
    Went and ran some intervals yesterday on my 10k program. Also, apparently a friend of mine from high school has finally gone into remission from thyroid cancer, which became lymphatic cancer. In celebration, she is going to be running the Livestrong 5k in Philadelphia. I'm considering running, but at the very least I'll be showing up. I suppose I'm kind of shy to run my first *real* 5k, plus I detest running in hot weather :laugh:

Still, its a good cause so I think I'll go. Besides, whats the point of training for a 10k if I haven't run a 5k yet??

You should go and run with your friend. Don't think of it as a race, just go and enjoy your friend's company and encourage her on. You can always just think of it as another training run and you donated money to support a good cause.:wink:
  • jabdye
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHUNTAE!!!:flowerforyou:

Enjoy that birthday dinner!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    Julie
  • SherryRH
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL!!!! The fast running vibes worked! But I have to say at mile 4.5 of my 5 mile tempo I was struggling -- but started laughing at an earlier post when someone said WWMFPRCLFD (What would my fitnall pal runner's club friends do!) and I pushed on! didn't want to have to come in this morning and report that I couldn't do it! SO.....

I DID IT!!! Yeeehaww!!!!

7 mile tempo run
    1 mile warm up
    5 miles (was supposed to be at 8:43 pace but my treadmill had 8:49 and 8:41 -- so I ran 2.5 miles at 8:49 and 2.5 miles at 8:41)
    1 mile cool down

Feels good to have accomplished that tempo after last week. Whew! Must've been all the good vibes -- thanks again!
    Julie

Excellent Julie! :flowerforyou:
  • jabdye
    Options

JUST DO IT!!! Don't think of it as a race -- think of it as celebrating your friends life-- and do it in her honor! You can do 3 miles -- just take it slow and enjoy the great feeling that you're helping out that fantastic cause! And you may surprise yourself and LIKE races. They can be addicting! I've only done one but instantly started planning my next after it was over.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options

JUST DO IT!!! Don't think of it as a race -- think of it as celebrating your friends life-- and do it in her honor! You can do 3 miles -- just take it slow and enjoy the great feeling that you're helping out that fantastic cause! And you may surprise yourself and LIKE races. They can be addicting! I've only done one but instantly started planning my next after it was over.

Darn you and Sherry for being convincing! :laugh:
    I suppose I'll just start doing a 5k each weekend til the event. I've run it before, just not for a month or so, so I should be ok. I'll just be slowslowslow!
  • jabdye
    Options
    You won't regret it -- now go sign up so it's official :drinker: It's very motivating to know you have signed up -- it'll help you get off the couch :noway:
  • SatelliteCrush80
    Options
    I survived!

6 mile tempo run: warm up; 4 miles at 12:10 (don't laugh :blushing: ); cool down.

My HRM doesn't do splits, so I manually stopped and restarted my clock after each mile, and only paused long enough to do that.

Warm-up 12:13
    Mile 1 10:36 (fastest mile time ever :bigsmile: )
    Mile 2 11:14
    Mile 3 12:17 (crappy time, but I was proud of myself for not quitting when I thought my legs were going to fall off)
    Mile 4 11:55 (not good, but still under pace)
    Cool-down: 13:40

I have got to work on not trying to come out so fast so I don't die by the time I get to the middle and end. 12:10 is actually a really comfortable pace for me to sustain for a long time, so I should work on maintaining it rather than feeling like I *have* to go faster. The speed will come in time, I guess. Either way, definitely proud for not quitting.
  • jabdye
    Options
    Woohooo Shuntae! Great job on the tempo run....they are definitely the hardest runs in the whole training program (at least that's what I think!)

And don't ever be sad about the pace -- you are doing awesome! Speed will come later -- but LOOK AT your DISTANCE!!! Woohoo!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Congrats on a GREAT JOB!!!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    Options
    Woohooo Shuntae! Great job on the tempo run....they are definitely the hardest runs in the whole training program (at least that's what I think!)

And don't ever be sad about the pace -- you are doing awesome! Speed will come later -- but LOOK AT your DISTANCE!!! Woohoo!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Congrats on a GREAT JOB!!!

Thank you; that really made me feel good! I've figured out that I really hate tempo runs, but they work. I'm just not used to doing them, so I need to get the whole maintenance thing down. I always have to tell myself that I may not be as fast as other people, but I am doing a lot more than most...case in point, the girls I work with.

That said, my long runs are still my favorite. I love seeing how far I can go each week. :bigsmile: