MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Welcome to all the new posters! :happy:
    Just over 6 this morning....this incredibly humid morning! :grumble:
    I mapped out a new route and it was a winner with everyone. I always get nervous that no one will like my routes, so I'm very happy it was *thumbs up* all around!
    I am also an official *real* runner...WARNING.....possible tmi ahead.....I had to use nature's outhouse...
    Fortunately the route was VERY rural!

Tomorrow is my first attempt at a double digit run...going for 12 at the greenway.

Thanks for the hints about the Altoids. Sometimes I have scary feeling tummy rumbles while running so I think I'll start packing a couple of those.

I hope everyone has a great day!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options

Thanks for the hints about the Altoids. Sometimes I have scary feeling tummy rumbles while running so I think I'll start packing a couple of those.

I agree- thanks! I've only felt sick once on a run (but then again I've only been running for about 5 weeks), but let me tell you- that one time was enough! :noway: :sick: I will start taking Altoids with me just in case... I never want to experience that again! :ohwell:
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone!

Easy 4 mi run for me yesterday. If it stops raining, I'll run 5k tonight - gotta work off that chinese food I had for lunch today!

Welcome to all the new (and old) runners!

Bgood, thanks for the link...I'll sign up for it.

Good luck tomorrow Becky!

Kechie, good info as always. We are lucky to have you on this board.

Good luck Julie (Jabdye)...you should take a rest day. I'd hate to see one of my hero's get hurt :smile:

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Happy late B-day Shantae!

PS...any Raymond sightings or has he ditched us :frown:
  • annaliza
    Options
    So, I've noticed quite a few of you doing tempo runs and I have many questions. I kind of understand how you do them based on what I've read but I don't really understand the why. Is it to get faster or build up your distance? And when do you start to do them? Do you have to be able to run a certain distance first or can you dive right in? How do you know what to run for the temp runs? Can you just look on RW? I know, a lot of questions but I'm wondering if I need to start doing these. I've been running about 3 1/2 months now. Is it too soon to want to do this? Also, I only run 3X a week @ 3 miles each time so I don't know if I have to up my mileage before attempting this and would I need to add another day of running to fit this in? I'm not really training for anything until next year so there is no urgency on upping time or mileage other than my own ego.

Tempo runs and speedwork will help you run faster overall. Since they are so hard on my body, I only do them once a week. Since you are up to running 3 miles 3x a week and it's been a few months now, I think you're ready. You can either add another day or substitute one of your current days to do a speed or tempo workout.

You can go to RW and use their Smart Coach tool for a specific workout or you can just do it on your own.

Go to a track or find a pretty flat street. Since you are currently running 3 miles, here is a sample workout for you:

Run an easy paced(you could have a conversation) mile to warm up. It is super important to warm up b/c you will be pushing your body.

Then, run comfortably hard(you can say 3 words but you really don't want to) for a half mile or 2, 3, or 4 minutes. You can use a distance or a time for your hard running. Then jog for a quarter mile or 1, 1.5, or 2 minutes. Repeat this 2 times. Then, run a mile at an easy pace to cool down.

You can also just add speed workouts to your current workout. Run a mile at your normal pace. Then, run comfortably hard to a mailbox, street lamp, or for a minute. Then, jog until you recover. Repeat until you get to 2 miles. Then finish up that last mile at your normal pace.

Once you start doing some speedwork, you will notice improved pace on all of your workouts.

Hth
    -Kechie.

That is so true!!!!

I've been doing these and so far have shaved 5 minutes off my 5k time! But whew, they are hard and I'm usually pretty sore the next day.

Thanks Kechie!
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Good luck Julie (Jabdye)...you should take a rest day. I'd hate to see one of my hero's get hurt :smile:

Wow -- I'm feeling all "Superman" now -- maybe I'll do a Raymond run of 1,453 miles :bigsmile:
  • kblu0816
    kblu0816 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. I wanted to make sure Iwas doing these right when I started and it loks like I did. I also do about 3 miles 3x a week. I've been going string for about a month so I started doing small temp runs and those even hurt the next day even though I'm doing like half the miles. But I definitely see improvment in my stamina and leg endurance even when lifting weights.
  • annaliza
    Options

Wow -- I'm feeling all "Superman" now -- maybe I'll do a Raymond run of 1,453 miles :bigsmile:

LOL

And that's one of his "easy" runs :tongue:
  • christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    Options
    Hey Everybody! Just wanted to pop in and say hi! :flowerforyou: I still can't run or exercise for at least a week. I 've had some complications w/ the surgery I had. :frown: I miss running!!! Sounds like everyone is improving and doing well!!
  • annaliza
    Options
    Good to hear from you Christine!!

Ok guys. I'm trying to buy my clothes ahead of time for the winter and I have never ran in the cold. So...what do you guys wear in the cold weather? I know layering is a good idea, but then I will have to carry my clothes around with me when I'm hot. Is there something better?

So...sweatshirt and sweatpants? body armor underneath? Will I be sweating much? not sure....

Thanks!
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Good to hear from you Christine!!

Ok guys. I'm trying to buy my clothes ahead of time for the winter and I have never ran in the cold. So...what do you guys wear in the cold weather? I know layering is a good idea, but then I will have to carry my clothes around with me when I'm hot. Is there something better?

So...sweatshirt and sweatpants? body armor underneath? Will I be sweating much? not sure....

Thanks!

I'm just getted started on running but have had the same questions, I really started walking the first of June and now have a great wardrobe for summer but want to keep this up through the winter. I'll resort to my treadmill only when I must, hoping to keep it mainly outdoors. Look forward to the suggestions.
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Raymond still has a pulse... tha..thump..tha..thump

Sorry everyone for being distant... distracted.... non-goal oriented... Yikes!! I realized that it's July, that's my killer. It's all about July. The last three years I have significant work challenges in July, the Tour de France to watch, and tons of family stuff including my lil 5-year old daughter breaking her collar bone this week. Aaargh! :sad: :sad:

So.. today I will run to Argentina and back to redeem myself...HA!! :laugh: :laugh:

My P90X 1st round was done a few weeks ago, so I really need something to keep me on a track... whatever it is. Great job to everyone who did not slack in July, my hero's! I have checked the boards a little and it's fun to see the progress in so many people. Way TO GO!!!
  • RunRideRay
    Options
    Winter is easy for running clothes, key garb in my closet:
    - Light jogging pants. No cotton stuff, but some poly pro or performance fabric
    - Running vest is vital. They last forever so it's Ok to spend some dough
    - Long sleeve poly pro tops
    - Light nylon jacket(s)
    - Hats and gloves do it all... really!! They make the biggest difference on moderating your temp.

As it gets cooler I can post a temperature/dress guide that may help too. To be honest, 10 degrees and I'll only wear light pants and jacket. Freeze my biscuits until I get warmed up, but no overheating.

Raymond
  • bgood14
    bgood14 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options

okay, i'll try to keep this short and sweet, but it may not work out. for starters, i'd actually recommend against traditional sweats. for winter running, it's worth investing a few $$ on decent gear -- not necessarily top-of-the-line full Goretex suit type stuff, but a good wicking microfiber in long sleeves will do wonders.

i'd also tell you the goal is to dress just right so that you're not sweating a lot; that will take time to figure out, based on temp, distance, etc. you'll be surprised how warm you get after you get out there and get the first mile or so under your belt, and you'll realize that you may not need as much as you initially thought.

just to give you an idea (and this is me; everybody's a little different) -- i'll go shorts and short sleeves down to about 45, long sleeves and shorts to about 32-35, and then long pants below that. even then, i'll wear windbreaker-type track pants with a mesh lining. i have a pair of "fleece" pants that i don't break out until the low 20s or teens. for tops, i've just got a couple long sleeve shirts that are pretty lightweight -- just like what you would wear in the summer. i've got another one that's much thicker, "polartec" is the type or the brand, can't remember -- and just that single layer is comfortable down below 32, as long as there's not a significant wind! wind can be a HUGE factor. i've got a lightweight, windbreaker like jacket that i'll throw over the top of a base layer anytime the wind chill reading is 10 degrees or more lower than the actual temp.

so, without filling up a whole page, there are a few ideas for you. i'm happy to go on if you have more questions, and i'm sure others will have different opinions, comfort zones, etc. again, pay a few bucks and you won't regret it. but you don't have to break the bank, either. you're smart to shop now, too -- i picked up a Starter half-zip, long sleeve top at Wal-Mart the other day on clearance for $5, but the regular price was only $9.99, and the Champion stuff at Target isn't half bad either. okay, i'm done...for now
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Thanks!
    Not that it gets super cold here (FL), but I do get my runs in with 30* weather come January/ February. For me, the big things for comfort are a hat to keep my ears warm and gloves. Get Under Armor - type that wick the sweat so your head and hands stay dry.

I agree with Raymond and bgood - invest in some decent tech-fabric gear. You will find it way better than cotton sweat suits. A pair of tights or track pants and a long sleeve shirt ,maybe layered over a short Tshirt will get you through most cold days. A warm-up jacket or wind breaker for really cold or wet/windy days.
    Expect to warm up as you go, so don't dress so warmly that you are comfortably warm at the start, or you end up getting too hot and sweaty, then you can really get cold when you try to cool down. You should feel like it's a little nippy at the start, and when you get going and warmed up, you will be comfortable for the rest of your run without shedding layers and having to lug the extra clothes.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Raymond still has a pulse... tha..thump..tha..thump

Sorry everyone for being distant... distracted.... non-goal oriented... Yikes!! I realized that it's July, that's my killer. It's all about July. The last three years I have significant work challenges in July, the Tour de France to watch, and tons of family stuff including my lil 5-year old daughter breaking her collar bone this week. Aaargh! :sad: :sad:

So.. today I will run to Argentina and back to redeem myself...HA!! :laugh: :laugh:

My P90X 1st round was done a few weeks ago, so I really need something to keep me on a track... whatever it is. Great job to everyone who did not slack in July, my hero's! I have checked the boards a little and it's fun to see the progress in so many people. Way TO GO!!!

Yeah!!!! He's ALIVE!!! :bigsmile:

Sorry to hear about your daughter.:sad: I hope she heals quickly!

Congrats on finishing P90X.:drinker:
    I just got INSANITY . It's cardio with no equipment needed body weight exercises. It truly looks like the most insane workouts ever. Just an idea if you're looking for your next challenge! :wink:
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Yay Raymond! Nice to see ya! Sorry to hear about your daughter--bring her back a nice present from Argentina :tongue:

Shuntae--HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope you enjoyed it!
    I think we should run a marathon together ;) Lets pick a middle spot!! hehe!

Going out to get new shoes tonight. Pretty excited as I havent been fitted yet etc!

I am dealing with side knee pain==any advice??
  • Emmyleww
    Emmyleww Posts: 278
    Options
    Thanks for the info Kechie, you are a wealth of information. I think I'll try to get in an extra day each week to do the tempo runs if I can. I'd love to be faster although I'm a little scared.

No running today but have a softball game later. Now if there was only a special run I could do to improve my batting.:laugh:
  • RunRideRay
    Options
    Hey Gustergirl, the side knee pain may be called "runners knee" and some simple stretches can help it a ton. I know Jenny was having some difficulty with this too. I am trying to find some of the websites and links that show the stretches. You can try a quick google on it and may find something too. Basically, running tightens the tendons on the side of the knee and it pulls the knee cap to bias the right side. Hence, causing some pain. The stretching helps loosen the tendons so the knee cap can float.

Hard to say if that is it, but it's a common ailment for runners. I went through it and was amazed at how stretching helped. It took a trip to the physical therapist for me to learn it, so that may be a good idea too.

I'll look for the links I can email you.

Raymond
  • annaliza
    Options
    Wow, thanks so much for the information Raymond (yay, so glad to see youre back from your 387942387492 mile run :bigsmile: Sorry to hear about your daughter....stuff like that happens with kids ), bgood (you are so helpful and always have lots of good information, thank you!) and runnerdad (I always look forward to reading your posts!)

I just bought my very first pair of moisture wicking clothes the other day and haven't had a chance to try them out yet. I'll have to make sure I get some for the winter, too. I never thought of wearing a hat but that's a great idea. If I get to hot, it's easy and light enough to take off and stash on a belt or in a pocket (or bra :blushing: ).

So...it looks like some long moisture wicking pants and shirts, and a nylon jacket for me. Thanks again for the info! I'll be shopping most of this weekend (yay!)

Lol, and all this time I thought sweatpants and sweatshirts were good - now I know better from my accomplished runner friends. Wow, I'm getting to be an athelete with all that athletic gear. :bigsmile: :laugh: Who said running was cheap????

Good luck on the new shoes, guster!

Night everyone and hope you have a great weekend!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Just figured I'd pop in and see how everyone's doing today, but no one's been here so far this morning :huh: Runnerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs, are you out thereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee? :laugh: Hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday morning! I look forward to hearing about everyone's runs :flowerforyou: