Breakthrough running moment-No music Run

Options
So, I have been mostly training for this half marathon with my ipod. I have run before without music. Usually just a quick 3 miler and I didn't use an ipod on my first half, which was the rock n roll St Louis. I do like to run without music. I can concentrate on my footfalls and form and just the love for the road and me.

My goal this 1/2 on 4/15 is to do a sub 2, or come really close to 2. I've been averaging between 9-10 minute miles on my runs, not running hard, doing some serious hills. I'm never sore after a run, even the 12 milers I did the last 2 weeks.

Sooo, last night I went out for a 5 mile run. It was raining so I did it sans the ipod. As I click end on my watch I stare at the time....42:01 minutes....what? I did a serious 2.5 mile steep hill on the way back. What? I'm not exhausted, huh?

As I walked the rest of the way home I was thinking, "How did this happen?" Well, some of my music on my playlist is slow. I enjoy mumford and sons & will listen to that. I run to the beat of the music....hello? Lighbulb!!

This is exciting for many reasons. Another reason to get into the meditative running I so enjoy, but scare myself out of. "I'll be bored!" But mostly it's because it just blew me through a block I've been having. Mentally, I've been telling myself that I can't run sub 9 minute mile over a 5k. I CAN'T! Well, I just did. Yep. Without even trying.

Just super excited and had to share....thanks for reading :)

Replies

• ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I remember my first unplugged run! It was a revelation.

Congrats and good luck in your race!!
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    This is a great post! I'm doing c25k, and i'm on week 5 right now. I've found the music is helping me stay motivated so far, but I have to admit I was beginning to wonder if i'd just be stuck using music even after I learn to run because I don't know what to do without it at this point (Don't really know how to pace myself yet and the music helps.) You're giving me hope! lol!
  • markhudson1968
    Options
    Hi

I started going to the gym and was working out without music then did it with music...and the results were far better!!

But it depends on WHAT music you play.

I have now revised my tracks to very high tempo and it worked like a dream.

What worked for me was NOT the songs I liked but the songs that had a quick beat to them.

Everyone is different though so go with what works for you :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I've ALWAYS trained without music. Probably because I've learned to "shut out" sounds around me when I train, so anything I hear when training is background noise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Hmm - I actually listen to audiobooks when I run, so there is no beat to run to. I admit, I am a little afraid to run without something to listen to.
  • awidener86
    awidener86 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Thats amazing and good job! I wish I could run a mile without being so sore.

I think I may have to try that c25k that I keep seeing people talk about.
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thats amazing and good job! I wish I could run a mile without being so sore.

I think I may have to try that c25k that I keep seeing people talk about.

After I had my son 3 years ago, I couldn't run down the street without being sore. I did C25K, now I LOVE running!!! Kept it up during my 2nd pregnacy. If I can do it, you can!! I was 230 when I started the C25K program.
  • HelloNewYou
    HelloNewYou Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I listen to audiobooks too! And podcasts.
  • Iluvchopsticks
    Iluvchopsticks Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I can't run with music. I did when I first started out but after pulling the plug and realizing how liberated I felt not having to fiddle with an mp3 player and being able to pay more attention to what is going on around me I will never go back. I don't really miss it.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I love my no music runs....its just me and the pavement. I usually run in the early morning or late evening, without music I let my thoughts guide me, I swear I have a little coach in my head screaming at me...the music drowns her out, but every now and then I need to hear it. LOL
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I can run with or without music. i prefer with, though. It's my only time I can just listen to the music I want to listen to and just listen to it.
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    To each his own but I like the quiet time of a workout. Running can be quite meditative, as you get into a rhythm and monitor your breathing etc. Plus, dare I say it, I think it is safer.

There was a very unfortunate instance recently where I live where a young high school student was jogging on a trail with her music on and was attacked from behind. We can debate whether running without music would have helped her or not, but I certainly don't think going unplugged would have hurt her, that's for sure.
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I just started running without music this week. Loving it, especially once my mind settles down.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    We can debate whether running without music would have helped her or not, but I certainly don't think going unplugged would have hurt her, that's for sure.

I've seen a lot of vehement arguments from plugged and unplugged runners on both sides about this. It's a controversial topic whether it pertains to safety while running alone or in an organized race. I love the meditative quality that my running has without music but I can understand that some enjoy the opposite. But, I do not think anyone can argue that a runner/walker/cyclist is as aware of their surroundings with an iPod as they are without.

So, agreed. use iPods responsibly folks!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    To each his own but I like the quiet time of a workout. Running can be quite meditative, as you get into a rhythm and monitor your breathing etc. Plus, dare I say it, I think it is safer.
    +1 in fact I find the music at my tri club distracting at times (maybe that's because I'm an old fogey who hates half the stuff that gets played......)
  • SkettiGurl
    SkettiGurl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    After a 5 year break I have started running again...and I'm no runner. I used to always 'plug in' when I went for a run but the only time I can fit a run in is at 5am before I go to work...It's dark and I don't feel safe being in my own little world so I started running 8 weeks ago, without plugging in. I do miss running to the beat but I think focusing on my stride and foot placement and breathing has helped me get to the point where I am today (running ten minutes, walking one minute, three times) without needing to stop and stretch or feeling like I just CANT go any further. I like the little coach in my head telling me I'm doing awesome and I can do this run. I will be running my first 5km in 5 years next friday and I will be doing it without plugging in!
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    We can debate whether running without music would have helped her or not, but I certainly don't think going unplugged would have hurt her, that's for sure.

I've seen a lot of vehement arguments from plugged and unplugged runners on both sides about this. It's a controversial topic whether it pertains to safety while running alone or in an organized race. I love the meditative quality that my running has without music but I can understand that some enjoy the opposite. But, I do not think anyone can argue that a runner/walker/cyclist is as aware of their surroundings with an iPod as they are without.

So, agreed. use iPods responsibly folks!

Yeah, last night it was raining, but my husband also wants me to run without one at night. When I trail run, which is rare, I'm with the hubs. If I was alone on a trail I would be too freaked out to have my ipod on.

It is definately good to be aware of your surroundings while running!

I love everyone's take on music vs no music. I will still use my ipod on some runs, but really think I should go without more often than I do!