Eggs

Options

Replies

• petes287
    petes287 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should put a cap on it, eat as many as you want. Yes, there is cholesterol in the yolk, but the whites have anti-cholesterol properties, so it essentially evens out, from what I've read over the years.

The yolk has a ton of nutrients.

THIS

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slide/myth-8-egg-yolks-raise-your-cholesterol?slideshow=186379
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I might eat a good dozen a week, at least. Love my eggs!
  • Elizadolots
    Elizadolots Posts: 178
    Options
    New research has shown that the cholesterol in eggs does not equal in increase to cholesterol in our bodies. Eggs are a perfectly safe food - yes, the whole egg - and are actually very good for us, so eat as many as you want!

This!
  • steelguy54
    steelguy54 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I eat 5 egg whites and 1 whole egg everyday for breakfast. I have check ups with my doctor every 6 months and I am in perfect health.

Everything about limiting your egg consumption is a myth.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs or egg whites nearly every day.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Your own liver makes more cholesterol than what you get eating eggs. Eat 'em and enjoy em.

barring underlying health issues of course that if you have it you know it.

The myth about eggs and cholesterol is derived from the amount of fat in eggs that drives up your cholesterol levels. Not the amount of cholesterol that's actually in an egg. People that only eat egg whites are cheating themselves and wasting food. If you have the macro nutrients available eat as many as you want.

There is no reason to limit eggs Body Builders and other professional athletes will easily surpass 1, 2 o3 even 3 dozen a week. I personally eat 8-12 a week sometimes more.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs all the time, and I'm fine. It's one of the few ways I can keep my protein up without spending a ton of money.

As for the yolk, yes, it is high in cholesterol, but your body needs cholesterol to function. And the yolk has many vitamins and other goodies that you need.
  • Bradley6
    Bradley6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I eat an egg everyday....totally fine and its good protein and vitamin D. I love me some eggs. My husband does MFP too and deals with high cholesterol. He also eats eggs everyday and cholesterol has gone down since he has lost 12 lbs. So they have helped more than they have hurt....Id say keep eating eggs if you love them.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    are you serious? haha you dont buy egg whites, u separate the yolk from the whole egg!

Stores sell liquid egg whites so that you don't have to waste the yolk.

Also, the cholesterol isn't such a big deal. Cholesterol in food doesn't really impact blood cholesterol. From what I've read (did a fair amount of research when my husband was diagnosed with high cholesterol at 31) blood cholesterol is formed by trans and saturated fats in foods.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I eat 5 egg whites and 1 whole egg everyday for breakfast. I have check ups with my doctor every 6 months and I am in perfect health.

Everything about limiting your egg consumption is a myth.

yet you limit yours?
  • androde
    androde Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I eat anything up to 4 eggs a day.
    Sainsbury's sell liquid egg whites
  • eburgland
    Options
    i eat approx 6 egg white a day. i talked to my nutrition guy and he recommended i eat/drink a entire carton a day. the whites are ok in large portions.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Eat as many as you like. Dietary cholesterol does not affect your actual cholesterol. I eat 4 whole eggs a day.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I typically eat 2 eggs everyday unless I'm in a hurry an am doing something ultra fast, like just drinking a protein shake and making up the calories later during the day
  • nigel061
    nigel061 Posts: 109
    Options
    The British Heart Foundation say there is no limit to how many whole eggs you eat a week.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    My man and I go through a dozen or so a week. Mostly me. I eat lots of them. I usually eat 3-4 at a time when I do.

The egg is the perfect food for humans.

http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog/2009/5/18/6s-and-3s-and-the-logic-of-grain-avoidance.html (here's a guy who eats 4-5 a day).

The eggs of birds are the perfect food. Not so the “egg” of a grass plant. Why not? The egg of a vertebrate contains all the proteins, vitamins and minerals necessary to grow a baby vertebrate from a handful of cells to the point where it can peck or bite it’s way out of the shell, and start eating on its own. So that makes it a pretty reliable source of nutrients for vertebrate predators like us. Not so the egg of a grass seed. Besides the antinutrient issue, the complement of amino acids and fat soluble vitamins in the endosperm is not enough to grow or feed a human without supplementation from other sources.

http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog/2010/3/12/the-argument-against-cereal-grains-ii.html

The trainer who says to only eat the white needs to do some research.
    The Great Cholesterol Con
    The Cholesterol Delusion
    Ignore the awkward! How the cholesterol myths are kept alive.

Or he could just go online and google "cholesterol myths". The only reason saturated fat was called evil is it supposedly raised cholesterol levels and cholesterol supposedly caused heart disease. Well, that has been proven to not be true over and over again. (People that die from heart disease had high, normal and low cholesterol. People that succumb to heart disease are ever more likely to have low cholesterol.)
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I eat 2-3 whole eggs a day for breakfast.
  • regina2063
    regina2063 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    But are you frying the eggs or boiling.....is it ok to eat scramble eggs....do u use a little butter in the pan.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I've eaten 2 eggs every single day for a couple of years. Just had bloodwork done and all was good.

In my opinion, nothing is better than eggs for breakfast. Low in calories and carbs and high in protein and KEEP ME FULL like nothing else. They're amazing :).
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this question has been asked a million times on here already but how many eggs is 'safe' to consume in a week? I'm a little obssesed with them at the moment!!

I usually eat two per day, today I will have three.

Eggs are a brilliant food, don't let anybody tell you any different.

This.