Treadmill vs. Running Outside

Options

Replies

• jodyl70
    jodyl70 Posts: 94
    Options
    I tried running on the treadmill and I just can't keep myself from tripping over my own feet! I ran a woodland trail on Sunday and old dirt roads last night and I can skip over roots, rocks and stumps without any coordination issues! I don't know what the deal is - but I am much better coordinated outside.

Hahahahaha, I had the same problem! :laugh:

I felt like an elephant on roller skates when I started running outside and could barely do a mile without thinking I was dying vs running inside.......... :noway:

Now I love to run outside 90% of the time and love it! Give your self time and your body will get used to it! :happy:
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    On a treadmill you have a lot more control of the incline, your environment (ie allergens!), your speed (sort of), how long (sort of) and stuff like that. Outside is a lot less boring, you can use your music to pace yourself and your breathing (as on a treadmill, but you don't have a concrete number), and running outside for an outside run is probably the best way to train.

I've been solely training with a treadmill, set with an incline of 3%. I took my first outdoor jog yesterday. Used the same music I've been using on the treadmill, and found the run to be just like the treadmill run! Even when I hit the incline, I had no problems outdoors. Actually, the trickiest part was where I had a decline! It was so easy to get going too fast! LOL.

Both are great, in my opinion. Just understand the differences between them!

^^ I agree with this. Like you, I do not have many nice areas to run in my neighborhood, so I bought myself a really nice treadmill. I have a TV and a surround sound system hooked up. Some days I just put on good music; other days I watch a good show or movie to keep me interested. I ALWAYS put the treadmill on a minimum of 1% incline. This will simulate a more realistic "outdoor" run. I also discovered that if I just put a towel over the "stats" and hit the "increase speed" button until I feel comfortable, I will usually hit a faster pace and "propel" myself along (instead of the treadmill dragging me). If I see my pace sometimes my brain thinks I'm going too fast and freaks out... I have no idea why. I also like to randomly vary the incline to keep my body guessing.

I am actually FASTER when I run outside. I love outdoor running, it's just not always an option. I think a lot of it is mental. Just DECIDE to have a great, productive run no matter which way you do it. You'll do great on your 1/2!!! :smile:
  • greengold
    greengold Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It's not clear from your post whether you have any running experience at all - if you don't, a half marathon is a BIG nut to crack for your first race. You would be better off starting with a few 5k's and build up. The biggest cause of injuries in runners is doing too much too soon - take it from me, I wrecked my knees 13 years ago going instantly from 2 miles daily to 5-6 miles daily - and that was after having 15 years of running experience!.(I am paying the price, although able to get back into running now with a lot less weight on me and being very careful, with physical therapy, strength training and cross-training.)

A good guide is John Bingham's Marathoning for Mortals, which has some training plans in the back that take you from couch potato to half marathon or marathon safely.

As to treadmill or outside - I hate the treadmill - glad to have it available when it's below 0 outside, but I find it utterly boring, lose my mind after about 3 miles on it. Outside is MUCH better - you will learn to handle different terrains, temperatures and there is so much more to look at, regardless of whether you run in a city, country road or trail.
  • thinktank32k
    Options
    Before I ran my first 5K I trained almost exclusively on my treadmill and by the 3rd km had horrible shin splints due the change in surface. Since then I've run outside almost exclusively all year 'round (I'll suffer on my dreadmill if there's freezing rain, other than that I'm outside)

Treadmills are a great way to start building up your endurance but the running mechanics are not the same. The belt tends to propel you and the normal reaction is to lengthen your stride which leads to heel striking (something you want to avoid).

Treadmills can also be used no matter the weather or the time. Depending on your schedule that may be a safer alternative.

If you're doing most of your training indoors you should make a point of getting outside at least once or twice a week just to acclimate to the different running surface.

Lol I feel the same way about the DREADMILL. I much prefer to be outdoors. The time goes by much quicker, if you wiggle a little your not gonna fall off of anything, and the scenery can be enjoyable.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    From my limited experience.

I like both.

The treadmill is good for when the weather is not nice. I like the ability to adjust the slope & speed on the treadmill. And, the treadmill at my gym has a cushion style shock absorber built in. This is easier on my knees.

As for running outside. I enjoy this as well. Nothing beats fresh air and sunshine! I find that running on pavement a little hard on the knees and ankles but if I keep track of my run/walk intervals it is not too bad.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I've been running on a treadmill all winter up until last weekend. My first road run. I haven't recovered still!! I have been sore all over, since. Definately run outside. Any where will work.
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    For me, it's running outside all the way.

I started on this journey by going to a gym. At first, I spent a lot of time on a treadmill walking in place. I tolerated it mostly because the cardio machines had tv. When the weather improved, I started walking outdoors. And walking some more. And even running a bit. I got to know a lot more about my neighbourhood while getting my exercise in. I found that I really enjoyed it. I liked the feel of being outdoors. I liked the variety that comes from deciding to turn down a new street or into a new park. I liked having regular routes I could race my best times on. It really worked for me.

When the weather turned and I went back to the treadmill, I found I couldn't handle it anymore. Something about walking and running on a treadmill just seemed so confining. I'd see a spot on the wall in front of me and, after a half hour of running, I'd be no closer to that spot. It really started to bother me. I found that I'd struggle to spend 30 on a treadmill when I could keep going for 45 minutes or an hour outdoors.

Fortunately, this past winter was ridiculously mild, so I didn't have to spend much time indoors. Even on cold days, if the pavement was bare, I stayed outside. It's surprising how few layers one needs to stay warm when you're walking fast or running.

I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference. What will get you exercising more? A treadmill? Or the outdoors?
  • projectconsistency
    Options
    Can anyone tell me what the major pros and cons are of each? I'm thinking about being brave and signing up for my very first half marathon in January, but I don't have any really good running areas around me to practice in. I can't run the course to practice because it's in Phoenix and I'm not ;-), but I do have a treadmill. What are the major differences I should be prepared for?

Depending on how much you increase your mileage, a run or two each week on the treadmill can really make things easier on your body. Running on a treadmill is certainly better training than not running at all. Can you drive somewhere and do your weekly long run outside? I know ultra runners who do all of their runs except for the weekly long run on a treadmill, so I'm sure it would work great for a half. Some big differences between running inside on a treadmill and running outside are humidity, temperature, being able to pace yourself, impact on your body, and the actual motion of running. Also, make sure you get in a good run or two in the rain so you know what to expect if it rains on race day.

Good luck!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Run outside as much as you can. You dont need a special trail. Just get outside and run.

In my experience running outside works all muscles in my legs because the terain varies (hills, flats, speed, weather factor etc..) whereas TM running for me is a constant even if u set the TM for uphill.

My body gets stronger running outside. If u plan on doing a half I would train 95% outside running.

Good lucK!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Indoor Running:
    Pros - Easier on the joints and your speed is regulated for you.
    Cons - Harder on the brain. Seriously, BORING. Even with TV. Even with music. You're running in place!

Outdoor Running:
    Pros - Easier on the brain. You control your own speed.
    Cons - Harder on the joints. BUT you can run on trails which is usually softer.

My conclusion? Both are useful in different ways. Treadmill training is great for rainy days and winter months and days you just want to get in and get it done with your strength training. Also, if you can run for an hour on the treadmill, you can (mentally) run just about anywhere.

Running outdoors can't be beat though, in my opinion. The fresh air, the scenery, being out in the community or hitting the trails - all of this can't be beat by softer impact on my joints. I'll take the beating.

I would suggest that you run outdoors though, during your training, so you can get your body use to the pavement pounding and you learn how to moderate your speed yourself. Some people are disappointed that they run slower on the treadmill than on pavement. Either way, it's great that you're getting out there and running :)
  • shoyrob
    shoyrob Posts: 25
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill for my runs, and outdoors for power walking. It's hard for me to control my breathing while I'm outdoors running for some reason. My chest get tight and I have a hard time. But I can run on the treadmill all day everyday. But power walks I love the outdoors.
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I prefer outside as well for all reasons mentioned above, but I still run on a TM at least 2-3 times per week and usually 3-4 miles.

One reason for TM running that has not been mentioned (or I overlooked it) is speed and interval training. With a treadmill, you can adjust your speed up and down to accommodate an interval/Fartlek workout or just do some speed training. Now, since you are starting out, I will relay the wisdom that I have heard many times before -- do NOT start speed training until you are comfortably running more than 20-25 miles per week.

Others have mentioned this, but I am a big fan of changing up my surface for running. I run 2-3 times a week outside on streets, which gives me a variety of conditions to run in, but the pavement is tough. I run 2-3 times a week on a TM with some cushioning, which is easier on my knees/hips - but I DO feel confined. I try to run on an oval indoor track at least once a week, which is GREAT on my knees/hips. The problem is that I abuse my body by running sprint intervals, usually after a heavy weight session.

Whatever you decide, just RUN!!! If you are comfortable on the TM, then run on it! You'll still be able to complete that HM, many people do. Give yourself ample time to train for this race though!

Greg
  • monkeefun
    monkeefun Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone! I do think I'm going to suck it up and go outside :). It's a pain because I work a ton of hours every week, and the only places to really get a good jog in without playing in traffic involve another drive, so it will probably be a challenge some days ( I do better when I can just suit up and DO IT!), but I've been talking to people too, and I think I may have a part time jogging buddy lined up besides. I am sold on running outdoors though - I do like my treadmill but it can be boring. Huzzah! Thank you everyone! :)
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I run at this cool state park with trails!
  • khagador
    khagador Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Set your treadmill to 1% minimum. Try to do a hill interval session every week to replicate course hills and to build strength, stamina, and foot turnover speed.

Run outdoors as much as possible as long as it's safe.
  • TheNewDoug
    Options
    Outside I only run on trails because I am scared to death of traffic. Indoors I have a Sole F85 that I set to an incline of 2 and that comes pretty close to the way pavement feels.
  • Jojo1859
    Jojo1859 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I personally love being outside with the sun and fresh air, but it tears my shoes up pretty fast.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I've been told that your physical stance is not the same running outside as running on treadmill. Your running habits should be "running proper form," running outdoors. Occasionally running on the treadmill is okay on days of storms and lightening. Both are good for just general exercise. I would run outdoors mostly to train for marathon.
  • SusanleeBee
    SusanleeBee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I much prefer the treadmill. I have a pretty severe hip tilt, and tend to trip on surfaces that are the tiniest bit uneven. If there are rocks and holes around, I might as well call an ambulance ahead of time, because I am going to go down, hard!

Plus, my treadmill has a fan, so i never feel sweaty gross face, even when the rest of me is drenched.

That said, if you're training to run outside, you should probably train outside, at least part of the time.
  • OCGeoff
    OCGeoff Posts: 10
    Options
    Probably covered sufficiently, but starting with the treadmill and transitioning to the outdoors could be the best way to go. In the past, running outside had really messed up my knees, but I've been doing great treadmill action for awhile now without any overt pain. Some people are just not built to run outside I think, and using alternative forms of exercise is just as important. Bests of luck