1/2 Marathon Plan

Options
I want to run the Detroit Half Marathon in the fall. It's a plan I really want to stick with and I think it's pretty realistic. However I wanna do this the right way. To know that I'd training properly. How have you guys trained for a half marathon? Any tricks/tips? I mean, I run every other day (sometimes only 3 days a wk depending on my distance to give my legs a break) and I've heard some ppl have actual methods to getting up to a half marathon.

Any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated! I wanna make this goal a reality!

Replies

• taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I followed this plan to a "t" and ran my first in March:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    If you are running 3 times a week oyu shoould be a-ok! Just do a Long run on the weekend....do it every weekend
    I ran the CHicago Rock & Roll 1/2 marathon in 2010 and did jsut that.............
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Make sure every other week you do a tempo run and speed work. I agree that running 3x during the week is good and your long run on the weekend. When I trained for my half my long runs were on Sunday. Monday and Thursdays were my easy runs, Wednesdays were either tempo or speed work. If you want, send me a message with your email and I can send you the program that I did as a guideline.

ETA: The person who set up my program is a coach for Team in Training and has run several marathons, tri's and has done a few Iron Man's so he kinda knows what he's talking about ;)
  • paperbagprincess
    Options
    I only run 5k 3 times a wk. Sometimes 6. So that's why I feel I have A LOT of work to do. Just dunno how to lay it all out.

I'd LOVE to do the Rock n' Roll 1/2 in Chicago... but it's in July... dead heat... not sure if I'd survive? I don't mind running in the midday so maybe I can handle the humidity...
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    The Hal Higdon plan mentioned above will help you tons! I think HH does a great job leading noobs through their first experience with a new distance. I used his plan for a FM and had a lot of success with it.
  • paperbagprincess
    Options
    The Hal Higdon plan mentioned above will help you tons! I think HH does a great job leading noobs through their first experience with a new distance. I used his plan for a FM and had a lot of success with it.

I was looking at that link and it seems pretty thorough.Thankfully I'll have the time to try out a few things. And see what's helped the best.
  • projectconsistency
    Options
    Runner's world has some great half training plans. If you aren't ready for tempo and speed workouts yet (they're so much fun and do so much for your running!), just get in the miles. For your first half, that's all you really need to do.
    Also, if you're thinking of running a really hot race, make sure you train in really hot weather. If you fo all of your training on the treadmill or in the dark, the heat will kill your race.
    Good luck!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I'll be another to back Hal Higdon plans. I ran a 7-K and a 10-K last year with personal bests each time using his 10-K training plan for both. And I'm going to be running my first half this Sunday with his half training plan.

If you don't think you're ready to start with the mileage on one of the half marathon plans, just start with the 10-K plan first, and basically add as many weeks of the 10-K plan to the front of the half marathon plan as needed to ramp up your mileage accordingly.

And remember, something that Hal Higdon points out in regards to his plans - it's not as important that you follow his exact plan to the letter, as long as you're consistent with the modifications you make. For me, I slide the one I chose across the week so that my rest day suited my life better. And then I swapped out his Wednesday plan to be alternating weeks of fartleks and hill training since my half is in San Francisco and involves hills. But then I stuck with that through the whole time of training.

Also, have fun. :D
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
  • MrsEb79
    MrsEb79 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

That's the plan I followed last year and it worked awesome. I'm following it again now for a half in June.

Good luck!
  • TraToy
    TraToy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    BUMP! :)

Saving 4 later...I'm running my 1st Half Marathon in Sept!
  • rebeccask
    rebeccask Posts: 170
    Options
    I only run 5k 3 times a wk. Sometimes 6. So that's why I feel I have A LOT of work to do. Just dunno how to lay it all out.

I'd LOVE to do the Rock n' Roll 1/2 in Chicago... but it's in July... dead heat... not sure if I'd survive? I don't mind running in the midday so maybe I can handle the humidity...

I'm doing the Chicago Rock n Roll half marathon! My first half is this Saturday. I just googled a 12 week half marathon training schedule and like others have said, long run on the weekend and 2 easy runs during the week. I tried to incorporate tempo/speed runs but I didn't always but I know I'm ready. Have fun training!
  • tobirhae
    tobirhae Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I ran my first (and only, so far) half about a year and a half ago. I used RunnersWorld.com to come up with a training plan and followed that. I also used that to do my first 10 miler. I really like the way they plan things out. I didn't do the speed work or intervals because all I was worried about was finishing. I'm hoping to run another one this fall and if I do I'll probably work on my speed.

Good luck!
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first 1/2 right now. I used the "Smartcoach" feature on www.runnersworld.com. Somebody mentioned the tempo and speed work already, those are built into the plan. It's free, too.
  • AUNIkki
    AUNIkki Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I followed the 1/2 marathon plan listed on www.battlefieldmarathon.com. Loved it!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options

I used this plan last year and for one coming up in June! Good luck!
  • lmd172
    lmd172 Posts: 172
    Options
    bumping for later...my first half is in nov...
  • paperbagprincess
    Options
    So good to see soooo many ppl planning on running their first half this year! Maybe I'll be ready for Chicago (that'd be nice!) and if so, I may see some of you there! If not, Detroit will be waiting for me in the fall! :D