bad back and exercise

Options
Can any one tell me a low impact dvd exercise that will work for someone with a bad back? I have arthritis in the back. And I am just starting out so i thought i would ask and see what everyone thinks.

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Start with something like Yoga and Pilates. I did Yoga when I had back problems, and it gave me the core strength and flexibility to attempt other stuff.
  • Angelalovunicorn
    Options
    Thank you .. will look into that.. Got any favorite? got the ok from the doctor.. she say just keep it easy first.. and see how you do..
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    Squats, do lots of squats :) doesn't have to be weighted obviously, but they've helped my lower back immensely. (and strengthening around my bad knee too!)
  • rayraex
    rayraex Posts: 50
    Options
    Try a recumbent bike. My dad has a very bad back (a slipped disc that pushes against a nerve) and that is what his doctor recommended for him.
  • Angelalovunicorn
    Options
    that good to know.. i have a icky knee too.. had surgery for a tear!! Thanks
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Beginner or Beginning Yoga by Patricia Walden. Great for getting started. You don't need a whole bunch of fancy props either. Some books or boxes instead of blocks, some pillows and blankets to use instead of bolsters. The DVD is made by Gaiam.
  • Angelalovunicorn
    Options
    Ok great... thank you. How do you get the tracker under your post?
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options

Good question, I don't remember. LOL! I think when you're in a forum, there's a link for options and it's in there. But you need to make a tracker first, and that's under the tools tab.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options

Click "Settings" just above the thread title....it is the only option in forum settings.
  • gracielee1
    gracielee1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    try yoga, its low impact and has healing benefits for all your arthritic joints and back issues
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    LOVE Leslie Sansone! I have chronic pain, a lot of it in my back and hips and with her videos I can do as low impact as I need or on good days, I can up it as much as I need!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    actually it's in "Tools", "Weight Loss Tickers"
  • dlaw216
    dlaw216 Posts: 14
    Options
    I can vouch for the recumbent bike as well, I have a ProForm XP XP 400R and its amazing. I started out a year and 4 months ago just on a slider machine and it was not doing enough. We walked into a Sears, the bike was on sale end of story. I have been using it since July of last year and its amazing. I have back issues (kids, car wreck and slight scoliosis) and also knee/ankle issues (skateboarding). Just like the yoga/squats, taking it easy as you go from the start is the best bet. With the bike I started doing 5-6 miles a day, now I am up to 7.5-8/day.
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have a permanent fracture of my L3 vertebre and arthritis from the accident that caused it. I have had a lot of success using the balance balls and various dvd's created for them. They are also fantastic for building your core muscles which will eleviate stress on your spine.
  • Angelalovunicorn
    Options
    that so awesome.. ok so heres what i got.. start off with yoga and move up
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I have Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction and Psoriatic Arthritis is my back, knees, feet and toes. I also have sciatica going down one of my legs. I feel your pain. Two of my toes are starting to become deformed a little...ugh (like rheumatoid arthritis but in the feet) It sucks...

Saying that, when I first started out the things that really worked for me were:

If you go on the treadmill, make sure the incline is set to at least 3/15. You don't have to extend your legs as far and it will not impact your joints as bad. (Told to me by the doctor and it really works) plus you get more of a workout :)

I also suggest the elliptical. One of the awesome things about it is that it is realllly easy on your joints but you burn some serious calories on them.

Stretch: do a runners stretch, calve stretches and back stretches.

I lift weights now but that is a trial and error thing. You will have to get someone to help you with that. I have been told that free weights are much better on your joints cause its smooth movements.

Would you believe that at least 70% of my pain is gone now? My sacroiliac joint used to come out of place 3-5 times a day and pinch my sciatic nerve and now its has only happened like 3-4 times total for the last 7-8 months due to a stronger body. If I am feeling stiff in the morning, I go to the gym and I have no pain after because my joints are "mobile". I take a lot less medication and I am almost never sore being on my feet. Its incredible!

Trust me, I know it doesn't seem like it right now because you have limitations but this is going to help you so much! Once I lose more weight I am thinking about taking up contemporary dance! If you would have told me I would be fit enough to do that a year or two ago, I would have told you that you were insane because I had so much pain I couldn't even walk in the mornings. Not now, bring it on! ;)

You can do this!

Learn it, live it , love it!