Getting the best out of a gym session.

Options
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on getting the best out of a gym session? During a 50 mins session, I do a mini circuit around the gym, going on five different machines, yet no matter how hard I try I can only seem to burn between 350 - 400 cals. Is there anything I am doing wrong?

Replies

• cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Do you mean cardio type machines or strength training machines?

If it's cardio ones, try sticking with one for 20-25 minutes at a time, and do intervals, I usually do 2 minutes hard and 2 minutes easier for 20-25 then a 5 minute cool down. Then switch to the next machine and the same thing.
  • LastTenPoundsGodDamnYou
    Options
    From a Personal Trainer = 1300 Cals NET

Then

5 minute warmup on the bike
    Treadmill intervals (1 minute running on a speed of 13.0+ on an incline of 1, 1 minute speed 5.5 incline of 8, repeat for 10 minutes)
    Rowing machine 1000 meters as fast as possible, aim to beat last sessions time
    Bike, cycle 2km as fast as humanly possible, aim to bear last sessions time
    Arm cycle for 5 minutes
    then either:
    elliptical for 10 minutes, start on inline 8 and resistence 30 and each 2 mins crank up another 5, or cross trainer, the same
    then
    Abs and stretch
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    350-400 cals in 50 minutes sounds good to me.

That's roughly what I burn in a 60 minute gym class (combat, step, jam etc) and probably slightly more than I would burn in 50 minutes of machines.

I suppose one machine for the whole time would burn more - I think I can do 300 in half an hour of flat out treadmill but the boredom kills me!

How tall/big are you? Your burn really isn't bad for a female I don't think.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Wow. Burning up to 400 calories an hour is awesome! I know I'm small, but even playing racquetball-my most intense exercise-I only burn 350/hr, which seems really overestimated to me. Whatever you're doing sounds great. I would agree with giving HIIT a try.
  • LubyLu89
    LubyLu89 Posts: 10
    Options
    Sorry, didn't add many specifics there. I meant cardio, so not ready for strength yet!
    I'm 5ft 11in and weigh 280lbs. I have around 100lbs to lose!
    I go to the gym three times a week, I also go to Zumba twice a week and I try to fit in an hour swimming in at some point in the week too.
  • xraylady33
    xraylady33 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    TAKE A ZUMBA CLASS, YOU WILL BURN 600 PLUS!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    If you're circuit training on weight "machines" you need to throw some calisthentics in there to up your HR. Add in Box Jumps on a near by bench, Jumping Jacks, Burpees, Tuck Jumps, Scissor Jumps (Lunge Jumps), Push-ups, or even a lap around the gym. Get your HR up and keep up by not taking long breaks between your sets.

OH and switch to free weights (take a trainer to learn proper form). Free weights use more of your stablizer muscles...
  • msbanana
    Options
    Sorry, didn't add many specifics there. I meant cardio, so not ready for strength yet!
    I go to the gym three times a week, I also go to Zumba twice a week and I try to fit in an hour swimming in at some point in the week too.

I started strength training when I was your size... DO IT!!!! It's the best thing I could have done for myself as it REALLY jump starts your metabolism.

As for your cardio HIIT HIIT HIIT!!!! (google it!)
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I've been using High Intesity Intervals will up the calorie burn fast. I saw the post on MFP 4 weeks ago and have been using it since on the elliptical machine.

after 2 minute warm-up...
    Phase 1: (for 10 minutes) 15 seconds as fast as possible, then 45 seconds at medium pace. Repeat for 10 minutes.
    Phase 2. 25 minutes at medium pace
    Phase 3: (for 10 minutes) 1 minute as fast as possible, then 1 minute at medium pace. Repeat for 10 minutes.

If you're pushing yourself, you'll easily burn 550-600 calories in that 45 minute period. I usually see my heartrate between 130-150 in phase 3, but have seen it as high as 170. You have to push yourself. If you aren't sweating, you aren't exercising hard enough!
  • LubyLu89
    LubyLu89 Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I will definately give the HIIT a go in the gym tomorrow. I would also like to give strength training a go, but I haven't a clue where to start.
  • msbanana
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I will definately give the HIIT a go in the gym tomorrow. I would also like to give strength training a go, but I haven't a clue where to start.

Start here: http://youtu.be/qvhHhDNjtxM

:flowerforyou:
  • monjero
    monjero Posts: 15
    Options
    you can try walking on a treadmill with a high incline. you will burn more calories than you think.
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    If you're circuit training on weight "machines" you need to throw some calisthentics in there to up your HR. Add in Box Jumps on a near by bench, Jumping Jacks, Burpees, Tuck Jumps, Scissor Jumps (Lunge Jumps), Push-ups, or even a lap around the gym. Get your HR up and keep up by not taking long breaks between your sets.

OH and switch to free weights (take a trainer to learn proper form). Free weights use more of your stablizer muscles...
    Good advice right here.

I'd add a jumprope. 7mins of fast jumprope = +/- 115 cal, and if you do it on sport flooring it's waaaaay less impact to knees/shins/lower back than a similar amount of running.
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I would say 300-400 in an hour would is about right and good. That's what I get with 60 minutes on the elliptical/bike/treadmill/circuit training and my heartrate usually is between 130-150. I got the Polar FT40 to make sure I was accurately recording my burned calories.
  • outtanms
    outtanms Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    bump....I need to start weight training too.
  • mmklinemm
    mmklinemm Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    after 2 minute warm-up...
    Phase 1: (for 10 minutes) 15 seconds as fast as possible, then 45 seconds at medium pace. Repeat for 10 minutes.
    Phase 2. 25 minutes at medium pace
    Phase 3: (for 10 minutes) 1 minute as fast as possible, then 1 minute at medium pace. Repeat for 10 minutes.
    I'm going to try this on the treadmill next week. Thanks!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

I started strength training when I was your size... DO IT!!!! It's the best thing I could have done for myself as it REALLY jump starts your metabolism.

As for your cardio HIIT HIIT HIIT!!!! (google it!)

Agreed 110%!!!
  • boyslie72487
    boyslie72487 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    You don't need to run fast on the treadmill to get your heart rate up for a higher calorie burn just up the incline

It also helps for better running outdoors, giving a more realistic approach to real ground with more friction

Also the same applies to the cross trainer, going at it hell for leather on a small resistance isn't as effective as a slower pace but high level

This is what I believe anyway :)
  • JustJessicaRabbit
    JustJessicaRabbit Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree, strength training is the best thing you can do when you have a bit to lose. It helps firm you up so that you are encouraged and it also keeps you from losing too much muscle instead of the pesky fat!