Runners: shorts if you thighs rub together???

Options
Are there any running shorts that DONT ride up in the middle if your thighs still rub together? I'm a little scared to make the leap on a pricey pair of LuLuLemon or Athleta shorts if they are just going to give me the same problems that I have with the cheaper Target shorts I've got.

I generally run in running tights or compression shorts and avoid this, but with the weather warming up I wish I could run in shorts. Yesterday on the track I saw a couple of girls about my size and they didn't seem to have the ride-up problem but I could be wrong.

For reference, I'm 5'6", about 160lbs, and I'm about a size 10 right now.

Replies

• shorty313
    shorty313 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm in the exact same boat. I'll be watching for suggestions. I have heard of people using BodyGlide.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I have these Nike shorts that I wear, I love them and they don't ride up! Here's what they look like! :)

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-457706/pgid-434547
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    http://www.rei.com/product/809900/brooks-versatile-shorts-womens

These are the only shorts I can wear over 4 miles without getting chub rub. The external pockets don't hold anything so I safety pin GU to the insides if I'm carrying it. For keys there's a pocket in the liner on the outside of your thigh.

I love these. In fact, I just ordered another pair while looking up the link.....
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I've seen the Body Glide suggestion, and I used it before when I was heavier just for normal chub rub issues.......but I'm wondering if that actually works for anyone with this problem. If I used Body Glide, would it prevent the shorts from riding up? I'm not concerned about the rubbing issue, I'm more concerned with my shorts completely riding up.......that's just uncomfortable!
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I, too, have issues with chub rub. I find bermuda length shorts work pretty well. I live in the south and am still comfortable when the weather warms up which it did in February this year. Body Glide is good, but it's really just expensive vasoline.
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I run in men's shorts... For some reason, they "fit better in the thigh" than women's shorts and don't ride up as much... Hope that helps.
  • IveLanded
    Options

These are the only shorts I can wear over 4 miles without getting chub rub. The external pockets don't hold anything so I safety pin GU to the insides if I'm carrying it. For keys there's a pocket in the liner on the outside of your thigh.

I love these. In fact, I just ordered another pair while looking up the link.....

Ok, just to be clear........I'm not concerned with the chub rub. I'm really only concerned that they DONT ride up.........so do these shorts stay down in the crotch and not ride up?
  • 15in8
    15in8 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I am ok now, but I used to wear long underwear that held my thighs in, I was only about 102kg though (220ish). I found that that worked ok.
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I wear running shorts with a pair of bike shorts under them. It usually stops them from riding up and even if they do go up a little, the bike shorts do not move (as long as you don't get a pair that is too big). Good luck :)
  • IveLanded
    Options
    I am ok now, but I used to wear long underwear that held my thighs in, I was only about 102kg though (220ish). I found that that worked ok.

I bought compression shorts to wear under running shorts, but it still didn't prevent the running shorts from riding up in the crotch.
  • CapsFan17
    CapsFan17 Posts: 198
    Options
    My shorts always rode up, even in high school when I was at my smallest (5'4" ~ 115lbs) and running track. I wear conpression shorts under my shorts. Hopefully you can find some that work for you, but don't beat your self up if you can't. I'll definately be watching this to see the recomendations.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I bought shorts that go down past my mid thigh, so that when I run they don't ride up to the point where my thighs rub together. I have large thighs that haven't really shrunk enough so they don't touch, and I think they always will touch no matter how much I weight. These work pretty well, I got them in Kohls and they're a nice breathable fabric.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I use something like these, which are long spandex, so they don't ride up. Top with a pair of loose shorts and you can say bye bye to thigh rub. http://www.championusa.com/workout-clothes/women/shorts---skirts/shorts/champion-double-dry-reg;-cotton-rich-fitted-7-womens-bike-shorts
  • jreed1920
    jreed1920 Posts: 123
    Options
    I have the Nike Livestrong Pacer shorts. They have an inner panty that keeps them in place. I also run in bermuda length C9 mesh shorts from Target and those don't ride up either. You could also try a running skort.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Triathlon shorts - they're like bike shorts but have a much lighter chamois as they're designed to be worn swimming, biking and running.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options

Ok, just to be clear........I'm not concerned with the chub rub. I'm really only concerned that they DONT ride up.........so do these shorts stay down in the crotch and not ride up?

I've never had an issue and used them for an entire marathon training cycle. Theres a rubber grippy strip on the underside of the liner that helps keep things where they belong.

I have noticed they get a luttle bunchy while im stretching, but never while running.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Lulu Lemon. Get them. Yes, expensive, but so worth it. "The Run: Speed Short" is perfect for avoiding that problem. I promise you will not regret it. I bought my first pair when I was 20-25 lbs heavier than I am now and my thighs definitely rubbed, but I never had an issue with these shorts. I just keep buying them in smaller sizes :)
  • erintheinspiration
    erintheinspiration Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I, too, have issues with chub rub. I find bermuda length shorts work pretty well. I live in the south and am still comfortable when the weather warms up which it did in February this year. Body Glide is good, but it's really just expensive vasoline.

This!^^^ I wear bermuda length shorts as well and have never had a problem. Of course I haven't run LONG, LONG distances though. Some of my favorites are Danskin shorts that you can get at Wal-Mart for around $9.00.
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I too have the rubbing thigh issue. I have several pairs of Nike running shorts. I have some with an 8" inseam that fit snug. I also have some that are about 12" inseam that are not skin tight at the bottom(They hit right above the knee). I love both of them and have had no issues with riding up. If you do have areas that get chaffed, body glide is wonderful!
  • IveLanded
    Options

I've never had an issue and used them for an entire marathon training cycle. Theres a rubber grippy strip on the underside of the liner that helps keep things where they belong.

I have noticed they get a luttle bunchy while im stretching, but never while running.

Awesome! I'll check em out next time I'm at REI!