Beer

Options
124»

Replies

• 19danno77
    19danno77 Posts: 84
    Options
    start slowly. switch to light beer and drink 3 instead of 4. somewhere in between the first and the last beer drink a large glass of water so it helps fill up instead of getting full off of beer. then make it 2 beers and 2 waters etc. You would have to find the perfect balance for you. trial and error my friend but you can do it. maybe just switch to light beer and keep your routine.

Good suggestion!
  • 19danno77
    Options
    Did you got to Coopersmiths? Because their chili beer is really freaking awesome.

I reckon it was! We had met up with two couples from Phili at the NB tour and hitched along with them down the street to O'Dells...liked their tour better. NB was a bit too adoring of their precious founder for me and reminded me a bit of wine snobbery...O'Dells was more down to Earth. I switched to diet cokes by the time dinner was happening because I was toasted off some 6-9% beers. I had Coops homemade spicy black bean burger with bacon and guac...yum. Next time we go I'll be in better condition to try the beers!
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have one large strong beer and take my time drinking it. Like Unibroue Trois Pistoles....

Usually it's red wine or vodka with Pellegrino & lime.

Love Unibroue. I try to keep it to one drink a night, whether that's beer, red wine, or rum mixed with something.

ETA: I remember seeing a post on here about a guy asking if a bottle of red wine a night was too much, but that was his low cal fix: he used to drink a whole six pack every night. Doing better is a relative thing.
  • 19danno77
    Options
    vodka whisky and rum have way more calories than beer :( I stick to Stella

On a per ounce basis this is correct, but that's not how spirits are consumed...the rough equivalent is 1 ounce of spirits to an average beer. Calorie content of those would be ~60 for the normal spirit (unsweetened, non-liqueur/schnapps) versus 150 for a normal non-lite beer. Spirits can catch up again on calories if mixed with tonic water, juices or sugar sodas but will maintain a buzz-per-calorie advantage if mixed with diet sodas, juices, drink mixes or taken straight or with water. Alcohol has roughly 7 calories per gram regardless of what beverage it comes in. Beer brings by default other carbs/sugars/protein which are all 4 calories per gram, spirits bring much less because they're distilled.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    HomerSimpsonBeerSong.gif

THANK
    YOO
  • yoovie
    Options

On a per ounce basis this is correct, but that's not how spirits are consumed...the rough equivalent is 1 ounce of spirits to an average beer. Calorie content of those would be ~60 for the normal spirit (unsweetened, non-liqueur/schnapps) versus 150 for a normal non-lite beer. Spirits can catch up again on calories if mixed with tonic water, juices or sugar sodas but will maintain a buzz-per-calorie advantage if mixed with diet sodas, juices, drink mixes or taken straight or with water. Alcohol has roughly 7 calories per gram regardless of what beverage it comes in. Beer brings by default other carbs/sugars/protein which are all 4 calories per gram, spirits bring much less because they're distilled.

im so sorry please let me rephrase my entire answer.

since i can drink a beer for a half hour to 45 minutes and a shot takes three seconds and comes in sets, involves one swallow and then is gone, or replaced by another... to me this means beer has less calories.

vodka whisky and rum have way more calories than beer per swallow :( I stick to Stella

A bottle of Stella (11.5 oz) is about 150-155 calories right?
    12 oz of say... Jameson and ginger is twice that - around 300
    12 oz of say... vodka cranberry is about 250-260
    12 oz of rum and coke? 370 calories
    8 oz of vodka on the rocks? about 600 calories
    a 5 oz tumbler of rum? 500 calories
    4 shots of Jame-O? 275 calories

If you are out, wanting to have a drink and choosing one of these things instead of beer, to drink for the evening, you wont be having 1.75 fluid ounces. I dont have a shot to wind down on Fridays, a I have a couple drinks and a shot isnt a drink ,its a shot.

Im very sorry that we ave conflicting views on this although we are both technically right.

I take my dinking very seriously. :D
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    Options

Shame too, as I love me my whiskey.
    However, I'm sorry but I will never give up my dark beers. I love them too much.
    That said, I enjoy a good, cold Hoegaarden or Hard Cider now and then too.
  • yoovie
    Options

Shame too, as I love me my whiskey.
    However, I'm sorry but I will never give up my dark beers. I love them too much.
    That said, I enjoy a good, cold Hoegaarden or Hard Cider now and then too.

IN that case, I drank 3 or 4 guinesses for you last night dahling

*pats my gigantic beer gut*
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I always drink Kettle one lemon flavored Vodka with Club Soda on ICE....GREAT Low cal drink for the summer time

This but with other flavors too
    Grey Goose L'orange, UV grape is good
    Taste like a soda/fizzy pop
  • 19danno77
    Options
    im so sorry please let me rephrase my entire answer.

since i can drink a beer for a half hour to 45 minutes and a shot takes three seconds and comes in sets, involves one swallow and then is gone, or replaced by another... to me this means beer has less calories.

vodka whisky and rum have way more calories than beer per swallow :( I stick to Stella

A bottle of Stella (11.5 oz) is about 150-155 calories right?
    12 oz of say... Jameson and ginger is twice that - around 300
    12 oz of say... vodka cranberry is about 250-260
    12 oz of rum and coke? 370 calories
    8 oz of vodka on the rocks? about 600 calories
    a 5 oz tumbler of rum? 500 calories
    4 shots of Jame-O? 275 calories

If you are out, wanting to have a drink and choosing one of these things instead of beer, to drink for the evening, you wont be having 1.75 fluid ounces. I dont have a shot to wind down on Fridays, a I have a couple drinks and a shot isnt a drink ,its a shot.

Im very sorry that we ave conflicting views on this although we are both technically right.

I take my dinking very seriously. :D

Ha-ha, if you gotta have something in your hand instead of a shot, mix the drink in a highball, or, light a cigarette. Partying at home with some maryjane is WAY lower calorie as long as there's no chips or take out around!
  • yoovie
    Options
    hahahahaha i think i adore you!!!
  • yoovie
    Options
    lolol@ me I said dinking
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Why the heck would you give up beer? Unless it was that low-cal ****. But that's not really beer anyways...

Cold beer or chilled white wine on hot days.
    Red wine on cold winter nights or when I'm devouring a bison.
    Vodka when I go out to get smashed.
    Tequila when I'm already smashed.
    Rum - no... no rum. Rum is for degenerates.

Shoooooterssss!

Just work it in to your daily caloric requirements without giving up your veggies and tasty animals.
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Why the heck would you give up beer? Unless it was that low-cal ****. But that's not really beer anyways...

Cold beer or chilled white wine on hot days.
    Red wine on cold winter nights or when I'm devouring a bison.
    Vodka when I go out to get smashed.
    Tequila when I'm already smashed.
    Rum - no... no rum. Rum is for degenerates.

Shoooooterssss!

Just work it in to your daily caloric requirements without giving up your veggies and tasty animals.

THIS. THIS thisthisthisthis.
    I think I love you.
  • ukgray
    ukgray Posts: 9
    Options
    Thank you all for your replys :o)
    Yes I think as long as I enter the beer into my daily caloric requirements then as you say eveything should be ok
    Thank god I don't have to give up the odd drink when I want to chill out .
    I have found Becks beer blue is low on calories 110 although non alcholic but ok for when I am the designated driver which is most of the time and a 275 Ml bottle of Beck's Light Beer is only 64 calories for when I am not. Ok if you like a german beer which I do :o)

a big THANK YOU to you all for your advice
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    It's usually just part of my diet and since I don't eat a lot of calories it's how I hit my calorie goals usually :) love the stuff