Runners: shorts if you thighs rub together???

Options

Replies

• Iluvcheezits
    Iluvcheezits Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    NIKE PACER SHORTS ... second choice...TEMPO. Read the reviews if you dont believe me Everyone talks about that same thing...I love them!
  • biobreak
    biobreak Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I second (third? fifteenth?) the recommendation for running skirts. I don't ever wear shorts anymore and I don't have to worry about bunching up. My favorite one is from LuluLemon, which was much more expensive than any previous item of running clothing I had ever bought, but SO worth it, especially for long runs. It's like this one, but with only one layer of ruffles instead of two: http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/women-skirts-and-dresses/Run-Pace-Setter-Skirt-54545?cc=4804&skuId=3439461&catId=women-skirts-and-dresses. Grippy elastic on the shorts keeps them in place, and you get a back pocket (for my phone) and two smaller key/gu pockets on the front. Awesome.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of chub rub... but it will somehow be worked into my vernacular.

Marvelous.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I rub some lard between my thighs. A faint smell of bacon while I run is my reward.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I second (third? fifteenth?) the recommendation for running skirts. I don't ever wear shorts anymore and I don't have to worry about bunching up. My favorite one is from LuluLemon, which was much more expensive than any previous item of running clothing I had ever bought, but SO worth it, especially for long runs. It's like this one, but with only one layer of ruffles instead of two: http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/women-skirts-and-dresses/Run-Pace-Setter-Skirt-54545?cc=4804&skuId=3439461&catId=women-skirts-and-dresses. Grippy elastic on the shorts keeps them in place, and you get a back pocket (for my phone) and two smaller key/gu pockets on the front. Awesome.

Those are bleeping cute!!!
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I"m with you - no matter how thin I could be, my legs will touch and my shorts will ride up (I'm slightly knock-knee'ed)...as in, 'oh no, my crotch is eating my shorts'......my luck has been compression shorts with a running skirt over it - I like the ones from runningskirts.com (the ones with underwear built in...because the ones with shorts built in...ride up.) I might check out the REI ones though....I'd LOVE to be able to wear shorts.....
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Ok, just to be clear........I'm not concerned with the chub rub. I'm really only concerned that they DONT ride up.........so do these shorts stay down in the crotch and not ride up?

I'm glad I kept reading, lol, because I was gonna recommend biker-style shorts and body glide.

As for riding up, I've got a couple different style bottoms from Athleta and none of them ride up. Athleta is good about returns, by the way. I have some good running tights from Nike, and also a pair of shorts (I think they're called Tempo- they're a really popular style in many colors I am finally able to fit in).
  • c3nterstage
    Options
    I run track and I usually wear spandex shorts when I do intervals. While I personally think all shorts ride up to some extent (it comes with the territory), I recently bought I pair of lulumon like shorts from target and they were AWFUL, so when it comes to workout clothes there is definitely something to be said about quality. For me, I spend my money on bottoms and stick with plain tshirts on top
  • c3nterstage
    Options
    also, maybe more uncomfortable for summer but knee length crops don't ride up at all
  • CS1012
    CS1012 Posts: 4
    Options
    Body Glide will change your world. It is the best product ever. It looks like deodorant but it prevents blisters (I use it for running - on my toes/heels) and chafing (between legs, near sports bra line, waistbands, etc.). It's a miracle product.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Lots of baby powder or polyester clothing. You need a lot of baby powder if you sweat a lot but baby powder can become extremely messy so you should put it on outside and not in your home. Lots of athletic stores sell polyester underwear but they never really feel right. If you are a larger person, you will not find a size for you. The last option is to purchase polyester shorts and grab your crotch every now and then during your jog.

Edit: Never tried body glide. I just grab my crotch every 8 mins.

Edit 2: Never mind. I thought this question was pertaining to chafing.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    That is why I wear capris....
  • noahsampeer1
    noahsampeer1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Compression underwear and bodyglide are life savers on long runs. Also, for anything over 45 mins, I recommend taping the nipples. Medical tape works well, as do bandaids. If nothing else, any kind of tape that will stick to your sweat soaked skin for a while.

Also, Bodyglide.<
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I wear cheap crappy spandex shorts, and I make sure to find the ones with like an 8 to 10 inch inseam, versus the ones with the 4 to 5 inch, which does tend to ride up. FYI, the tighter, the better. I haven't had problems with the cheap versions riding up... I don't think you'd need to invest in super expensive stuff...

but I do know what you mean about riding up... I refuse to run in normal running shorts because I don't want to constantly be digging fabric out of my crotch, and/or running with a weird hitch in my gait to correct the problem and thus creating an even bigger issue..... especially when I need to be more worried about my breathing and things rather than how my clothes fit. I will say, I am super picky about my clothes during running. I have to have smaller, tighter shirts with a loose neckline or V-neck, and then spandex shorts or pants. I feel your pain!
  • c3nterstage
    Options
    I have the perfect solution in 2 words! RUNNING SKIRT! They have built in short bikers underneath the skirt, are very cute, and comfortable. I ordered several more after I got my first one. They have a nice selection (I like the "Athletic" ones cause they're an inch longer and looser fit) at runningskirts.com

thank you! I actually love running skirts but I lost weight and dont fit into my old one........I should get more.

I've never used a running skirt before... Must get one of these! :)

I just bought a super cute one from lululemon that i'm super excited to try!
  • KaylanRose
    Options
    I have the perfect solution in 2 words! RUNNING SKIRT! They have built in short bikers underneath the skirt, are very cute, and comfortable. I ordered several more after I got my first one. They have a nice selection (I like the "Athletic" ones cause they're an inch longer and looser fit) at runningskirts.com

TOTALLY true! I swear by them!! Lululemon has some supercute skirts but they're pricey (great quality though) also try roadrunnersports.com as well.
  • cecejoy
    cecejoy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'd say use a lot of Bodyglide on your thighs..

or wear a pear of tight shorts underneath to stop the rubbing
  • HeatherBriggs1970
    Options
    Thank you for asking this question!! I actually measure my progress on whether or not my short are riding up when I walk. I thought I was the only one! Hahahaha

Definitely NOT having the problem this year like I was last year but still happening a bit. Thanks for the tips!

This is cute!
    http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/RRL1023/cmproductcrosssell/#long_description
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    I've seen the Body Glide suggestion, and I used it before when I was heavier just for normal chub rub issues.......but I'm wondering if that actually works for anyone with this problem. If I used Body Glide, would it prevent the shorts from riding up? I'm not concerned about the rubbing issue, I'm more concerned with my shorts completely riding up.......that's just uncomfortable!

I know this sounds obvious. but have you tried going a size larger in shorts? That will give them a little more length and roominess when you run.
    Also, they make spandex shorts. I have some and run in those on long runs on hot days.
    As for the Body Glide, I use it for my long runs, under the elastic on my sports bra and it does work pretty good.
  • c_hampagne
    c_hampagne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I actually wear tights/leggings under my shorts, mostly because I'm self conscious but it has the added side effect of preventing chafing.