uk clothes sizes

Options
I am 5'8 and started 46 lbs heavier in a size 18
I am now 12 stone 2 and a size 14 uk
any ideas when I can expect to be trying on the 12s????!!!!

BTW I did get into some 12s in Dorothy P's yesterday, zipped up and all! And was doing a happy dance in the changing rooms before my 6 year old pointed out that the top of my tummy ( my sloggi pants) were outside them!!! So not sure technically that was in them, unless they these low cut things, but either way...any ideas???

Replies

• Tari_D
    Tari_D Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in the answer to this sort of thing too really. Ideally my goal is more a size and look thing than a weight goal. But i guess it will really vary person to person and even shop to shop.

One thing you could do is look on the websites of some of your favourite clothing shops, find out the actual measurements of their difference sizes and see how far you are off measurement wise. If you have been measuring as you go then you might have an idea how long it takes you to drop an inch...

Well done on all the weight loss by the way! I'm still an 18, i hope I too can make it to 14 sometime :smile:
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body shape, not your weight, really. I've been a 12 at 170lbs and a 14 at 160lbs before. Now, back to a 12 at 153lbs. It depends where you carry your weight.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    what is the differance between UK sizes and American?? Just curious :bigsmile:
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

BTW I did get into some 12s in Dorothy P's yesterday, zipped up and all! And was doing a happy dance in the changing rooms before my 6 year old pointed out that the top of my tummy ( my sloggi pants) were outside them!!! So not sure technically that was in them, unless they these low cut things, but either way...any ideas???

All depends on how you are toning up really.

For an approximation though, for every 10lbs you lose you go down one size. So if you get down to 11 stone 6lbs, you will be in a size 13. 10 stone 10lbs a size 12.

However, you may fit into a 12 when you are heavier than 10:10, it definitely depends on your muscle.

Brilliant success on your weightloss so far by the way, you are doing yourself justice and doing grand!!! xxx
  • runnercheryl
    Options

We're just a size bigger. Our 12 is your 10, for instance.
  • Di3012
    Options

A US size 10 = a UK size 14
    A US size 8 = a UK size 12

Basically, 4 sizes difference.

etc
  • Di3012
    Options

No, somewhere along the line, the sizes all changed, they're all up the wall now.

Good site below for conversions:

http://www.dresssizes.org/
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm 130lb and been in 12s since about 145ish. I have the occasional size 10 top too but some places the cuts are messed up plus as someone else said its all about body shape too!
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

A US size 10 = a UK size 14
    A US size 8 = a UK size 12

Basically, 4 sizes difference.

etc
    Right I'm moving to the us so I can say I'm an 8 lol
  • runnercheryl
    Options

No, somewhere along the line, the sizes all changed, they're all up the wall now.

Wow. Didn't know.

Er...HOW did the gap between sizes get bigger? Have they just been subtly changing in recent years? :huh:

I'm aware there's probably a very simple answer to this...
  • ctriston
    ctriston Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    thank you for the advice and support too !

All depends on how you are toning up really.

For an approximation though, for every 10lbs you lose you go down one size. So if you get down to 11 stone 6lbs, you will be in a size 13. 10 stone 10lbs a size 12.

However, you may fit into a 12 when you are heavier than 10:10, it definitely depends on your muscle.

Brilliant success on your weightloss so far by the way, you are doing yourself justice and doing grand!!! xxx
  • ctriston
    ctriston Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    well done by the way, amazing weight loss
    I'm 130lb and been in 12s since about 145ish. I have the occasional size 10 top too but some places the cuts are messed up plus as someone else said its all about body shape too!
  • Di3012
    Options

Wow. Didn't know.

Er...HOW did the gap between sizes get bigger? Have they just been subtly changing in recent years? :huh:

I'm aware there's probably a very simple answer to this...

No idea, however, I strongly suspect it is done from the top in order to make the customers feel better about themselves.

Quick example, twenty odd years ago, when I was 126lbs in weight, I had the statistics: 25.5inch waist and 36 inch hips - I wore size 12 (UK). If that were now, I would be in an 8.

They should leave all sizes alone, they are just helping people to fool themselves and it is annoying :((
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    It depends! everyone is different!! Ive lost 19lb and still have to go down a size. Im at that "inbetween sizes" stage where the size im wearing it too big for me, but the next size down is too tight!
  • Di3012
    Options
    It depends! everyone is different!! Ive lost 19lb and still have to go down a size. Im at that "inbetween sizes" stage where the size im wearing it too big for me, but the next size down is too tight!

Same here actually lol.

I have to wear trousers for work and the waistband on those are miles too big, but a size 10 is a tad too tight. Me thinks I need braces LOL!