Still not enough protein!!!!??

Options

Replies

• Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I second greek yogurt. That stuff has a TON of protein in it.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, peanut butter, whey?

I love makin protein smoothies as dessert. Although I think 75grams of protein is already more than the average person. Do what works best for you!

Really? How do you find out how much you need?
    According to US & Canadian Dietary Reference Intake guidelines, women aged 19–70 need to consume 46 grams of protein per day, while men aged 19–70 need to consume 56 grams of protein per day to avoid a deficiency.[19] The American and Canadian guidelines recommend a daily protein dietary allowance, measured as intake per kilogram body weight, is 0.8 g/kg.[15] However, this recommendation is based on structural requirements, but disregards use of protein for energy metabolism.[15] This requirement is for a normal sedentary person.[17]

Although I think it all depends on what works best for you :)

That seems very broad, don't you think; ages 19 to 70. From my understanding, to create muscle you need more than the RDA.

I've heard/read many places that to maintain muscle/lean body mass, you should have 1g protein/lb of lean body weight. So I aim for 89g of protein a day, but I'm also fairly small.

OP, I only eat fish twice a week. The rest of the time, I supplement with protein powder, tuna, greek yogurt, nuts, and dried edamame. I've heard cottage cheese is great too, but I'm just not a fan.

*Edit: My diary is open if anyone wants to see how I get in my protein.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    After looking at it, you have a very high protein goal for the day. Is there a reason for that? Do you do a lot of weight training? The general rule is that if you are doing weight training, you want to do about a gram of protein for ever pound of lean muscle. With the amount of protein you are trying to eat for your size if you aren't lifting, and drinking lots and lots of water, you could be doing lots of damage to your kidneys.

You have to balance carbs with a high protein diet. Which the OP is doing just fine with. I could be wrong, but a high protein diet is the standard for anyone looking to increase muscle mass and decrease body fat.

Yes that's why I said if she isn't on a weight lifting progam then she is eating to much protein. It really all depends on when she is eating the carbs, and what kind she is eating as well, but you also have to understand that you are probably going to lose weight slower that way, because you are increasing your muscle size.
  • spadina86
    Options
    LEAN MEAT is the answer!
    I see you eat too much snacks and also few of your meals are really protein sources. Include lean meat into your diary such as Tuna cans, Chicken breast, also protein veggies such as black beans. They all are very low in cals and some of the highest protein foods!

I disagree with the thinking that lean meat is the answer...take a look at this...
    http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-4364/7-Vegetarian-Superfoods-for-Protein.html

Some of these are far better sources than meat!
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    1 egg
    1 scoop protein powder
    2 tablespoons peanut butter
    1 tablespoon skimmed milk

mix it all up and put in a mug

microwave for 2 mins

27 gr fat
    4.5 gr sat fat
    11 gr carbs
    38 gr protein
    445 cals

Not my recipe, but one i got from here the other night...Very tasty
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    After looking at it, you have a very high protein goal for the day. Is there a reason for that? Do you do a lot of weight training? The general rule is that if you are doing weight training, you want to do about a gram of protein for ever pound of lean muscle. With the amount of protein you are trying to eat for your size if you aren't lifting, and drinking lots and lots of water, you could be doing lots of damage to your kidneys.

You have to balance carbs with a high protein diet. Which the OP is doing just fine with. I could be wrong, but a high protein diet is the standard for anyone looking to increase muscle mass and decrease body fat.

Yes that's why I said if she isn't on a weight lifting progam then she is eating to much protein. It really all depends on when she is eating the carbs, and what kind she is eating as well, but you also have to understand that you are probably going to lose weight slower that way, because you are increasing your muscle size.

Well I know the OP. She is already a healthy weight. She just wants to lean out. That means building muscle.
  • Azziesmama
    Options
    This is correct. Protein is a macro nutrient that will be stored as fat if you are not doing intense weight training. Go for some edamame for healthy protein that is lean and boosts energy levels but watch your nutrients. Bulking up on protein without extreme work outs will hurt your body in the long run.
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I've had a protein shake already! Along with chickpeas, peanut butter, houmous, milk, veg, and tofu...

I add a scoop of vanilla protein to my coffee along with a bit of almond milk, making it a faux french vanilla coffee, tastes pretty darn good!
  • snuggllepuff
    Options
    I add two scoops into each protein shake that i drink. So each shake is 60 grams of protein. I also eat a lot of eggs.
  • Azziesmama
    Options
    If you still want to increase protein (are on a weight lifting program) try quinoa.
  • methodless
    Options
    On the days where I don't get enough, I put a spoon (not a scoop) or two of unflavoured protein powder into my flavoured yogurt.

Sprinkiing it into stuff like that doesn't change the taste and adds 5-10g here and there.
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    LEAN MEAT is the answer!
    I see you eat too much snacks and also few of your meals are really protein sources. Include lean meat into your diary such as Tuna cans, Chicken breast, also protein veggies such as black beans. They all are very low in cals and some of the highest protein foods!

I don't eat meat.

In regards to lifting/ exercise, when i began, i was working out 90+ mins 5/ 6 times a week including strength training/ weights, but recently i've only been doing this say 3 x per week so i guess i should lower the protein requirement. It's so hard to know what levels are right :/ I've been compiling a list of low carb, high protein foods, and today was my first day of trying to get them into my diet. It seemed like such a lot of protein i was surprised when it still came out lower than mfp said i needed, i was like omg how am i supposed to do this?? lol

I have half a tin of chickpeas left over from dinner so i think i'm going to bake them and snack on them through the day tomorrow, and have eggs for breakfast :smile:
  • tgzerozone
    tgzerozone Posts: 160
    Options
    Eat more fish and what about eggs?
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    what do you have for breakfast. A little tip is i have oats for breakfast and mix in casein whey to the oats, slow release protein, easy way of getting extra protein without having to consume extra

Yep i usually have porridge, sometimes with a banana and/ or ground flax, and semi-skimmed milk. Love oats!

I ate quinoa with dinner today already lol

Will definitely try adding the milk powder to coffee and other drinks for a bit extra.

Although I mainly need to get leaner, i do want to drop some weight as well, or rather, i want to lose inches (2 dress sizes).

Thanks for all the suggestions. Just need to work out a good protein goal now as i think it is definitely too high. But my macros are currently 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat which is what most people are i believe?
  • sullymanjohn
    Options
    a good greek yogurt with a one scoop of blue bonnet why protein= roughly 50g of protein and is a good substitute for ice cream :D
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    what do you have for breakfast. A little tip is i have oats for breakfast and mix in casein whey to the oats, slow release protein, easy way of getting extra protein without having to consume extra

Yep i usually have porridge, sometimes with a banana and/ or ground flax, and semi-skimmed milk. Love oats!

I ate quinoa with dinner today already lol

Will definitely try adding the milk powder to coffee and other drinks for a bit extra.

Although I mainly need to get leaner, i do want to drop some weight as well, or rather, i want to lose inches (2 dress sizes).

Thanks for all the suggestions. Just need to work out a good protein goal now as i think it is definitely too high. But my macros are currently 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat which is what most people are i believe?

My macros are 50% carbs 30% protein 20% fat.
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    a good greek yogurt with a one scoop of blue bonnet why protein= roughly 50g of protein and is a good substitute for ice cream :D

Mmm this sounds yum! Off to buy some greek yoghurt now :love:
  • dieseljay74
    dieseljay74 Posts: 376
    Options
    Considering you don't eat meat and are full.....protein shakes are the best way to go.
  • rosamonds
    rosamonds Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Tofurky Italian Sausages, yum yum, yum

:flowerforyou:
  • crdav13
    crdav13 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I went to a nutritionist and she has me eating at least 90-100 grams of protein (my exerscise varies but includes cardio, yoga, and weights). Some things I have done to up my protein - 2 servings of Kashi cereal and 1 cup of milk (had this for breakfast and that alone is 27 grams), edamame, string cheese, greek yogurt, luna and think thin bars. I know you said you don't eat meat but does that include seafood? If you do then shrimp and tuna are great options as well.