My thumb is swollen, HELP!

wish21
wish21 Posts: 602 Member
I know i'll probably get some backlash for posting this on the forumns instead of going to the doctor, but i need some advice!!!
I bite my nails and sometime bite the skin. I've bit the skin to close to the nail and its always healed. Last week I bit the skin close to the nail on my right thumb. It hurt really bad, like I couldn't really use my thumb for anything, because it would be a sharp jerky pain. I thought nothing of it and polished my nails using regular polish and the crackle polish Friday night. I am in more pain the next days as well. Tuesday morning my thumb is swollen! In much more pain than the previous days. I noticed a green patch forming were I bit the nail (that was the color of my polishes). That night i put antibotic cream and took benadryl. I feel a tad better but my thumb is still swollen and the patch that was green is spreading around the nail. The skin that I bit has grown back, but I am out of options.

My mom doesn't seem to think it serious enough to visit the dr, i didnt either untill yesterday when it swoll. Since its swoll its making daily activities hard like working out and stuff.

Do you guys think I should just wait it out or visit a dr? Could use some major feedback:sad:

Replies

• elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Dude!!! Go to urgent care and get some meds!! WTH???
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,317 Member
    Some infections can lead to permanent disfigurement, amputation, or death. So. Doctor.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Doctor! Ack!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Is this serious? IF it's what you say, you need to go to the doctor and get an antibiotic. I don't know about you, but I'm kind of attached to my thumbs (and they're attached to me). I wouldn't want to lose one from an infection.
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 232 Member
    You likely have a staph infection. Get some meds, you'll be fine.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,173 Member
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_Ma4ES2BYgJ4XW3z7DSXWSFOpDr_HnfWBUHv3T_aMQv7I9cyrqg
  • wish21
    Is this serious? IF it's what you say, you need to go to the doctor and get an antibiotic. I don't know about you, but I'm kind of attached to my thumbs (and they're attached to me). I wouldn't want to lose one from an infection.

Trust me i love mine too! Doctor it is
  • wish21

I am not trying be funny!! I AM very much serious!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member
    Mission failed.......I found it very funny.

Go to the doc

• reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Green drainage is pus and you do have an infection. You need treatment. Beware flesh eating bacteria.
  • LauraMacNCheese

You clearly have an infection that is only going to get worse if you don't get meds. Go to the doctor...NOW.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member

^ THIS!!! Sorry, but I LOL'd. Maybe you'll finally stop biting your nails!
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    I had the same prob a few weeks ago with my big toe...it swelled up soooo bad but i wouldn`t go to the doctor. I popped the swelling (yellow) with a sterilised needle

Oh what a relief it didn`t hurt a bit.

then 3 days later I had to go to the docs cos it was infected....save yourself the wait...go to the docs get some antibiotics now
  • TeresaWash
    TeresaWash Posts: 283
    Run... to the nearest medical center. :sad:
  • viper_7
    viper_7 Posts: 14
    Infections of fingers/toes can lead to loss of the digit if not treated.

Regular soaking in a salt solution will help but a course of anti-biotic is probably in order - naturally most of us on here are not Doctors, so seek professional advice.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Seriously? If this is true, you need help.

Sounds like a troll to me....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrfVSkbSRmXfQgDowUIaTbwS2pZU-lrY9gP1SWlAM7Xy2c8oRpZA
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Gross! Do you also pick your nose in public?
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Nail biting is nasty.
  • wish21
    Gee i see why so many people hate the message boards, thanks to those who actually to me serious! I'll try my best to see a doctor soon. Thanks again.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    Gee i see why so many people hate the message boards, thanks to those who actually to me serious! I'll try my best to see a doctor soon. Thanks again.

Apologies if I offended you. But if you've seen some of the posts on the boards, you'd understand why some of us found this suspect.