chinese takeaway - healthiest options?

Options
Hi!

so, its take away night.. chinese! i do want to get something from there, as i havent had a cheat meal in forever, but I want to go with the healthiest option. So obviously anything with pork and fried rice are out of the question...

So what sort of dish should I go for?

Id like something a little lower on cals, and lower in fat... if possible! ahah :) Thanks!

Replies

• arielian
    arielian Posts: 200
    Options
    Moo goo gai pan is usually a simple stir-fried dish consisting of sliced or cubed chicken with white button mushrooms and other vegetables. Popular vegetable additions include snow peas, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and Chinese cabbage. Moo goo is different from other Chinese take-out chicken dishes in that it eschews the traditional "brown sauce" in favor of a light chicken broth-based sauce.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Beef & Broccoli
    Stir Fry Mixed Vegetables
    Egg Drop Soup (kind of...)

LOVE Chinese food! HATE the calories & sodium. Enjoy!
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    I always get the same thing when I get chinese. Chicken and broccoli is my fav so I order it steamed with the brown sauce on the side. I add a *tiny* bit of the white rice because it just doesn't taste like chinese without it. ;)
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Moo goo gai pan (1 cup serving)

Calories 272
    Sodium 304 mg
    Total Fat 19 g
    Potassium 488 mg
    Saturated 7 g
    Total Carbs 12 g
    Polyunsaturated 7 g
    Dietary Fiber 3 g
    Monounsaturated 4 g
    Sugars 0 g
    Trans 0 g
    Protein 15 g
    Cholesterol 35 mg
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    stir fried vegetables. Avoid rice & noodles.
  • katie_on_a_mission
    Options
    White rice and a veggie dish. Enjoy!
  • schokofan
    schokofan Posts: 37
    Options
    thanks guys..

the moo goo sounds good however from memory its not on the menu ..hmm!

Stir fried vegetables sounds nice though
  • dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    Options
    I've never had moo goo gai pan but will definitely have to try it! We LOVE chinese food!!!
  • SmileeBarbFLA
    Options
    Chinese take outs usually have a few items on their menu in a "diet" section. From there I usually get steamed chicken and vegetables with the sauce on the side. YUM!!!
  • elyssiam
    elyssiam Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I like steamed veggies with either chicken, beef or tofu. Sauce on the side (dip the tip of your fork into the sauce before picking up the food). If they have brown rice (some at least have that option), get that and stick to either 1/3 of a cup or 2/3 of a cup. Yummy, AND good for you!
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I usually get stir fried veggies with Sechuan or Hunan sauce, sometimes with tofu added.
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Steamed ANYTHING! :)
    Also, if it's traditional Chinese, go for the "cakes:" radish cake, yam cake, ect.
    Anything with ginger in the name is always a good choice as well. Lots of vegetables, no rice, no noodles. Fried rice? Forget about it! ;P
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I tend to go for the chicken lettuce wraps.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I get steamed broccoli, fried tofu no rice and brown sauce on the side. My sis gets shrimp & steamed broc w/ sauce on side.
  • Pullingersom
    Options
    I have just had a chinese takeaway but can't find any info about it I had Chicken with bamboo shoots and water chestnuts and plain rice. Any help appreciated
    Thanks
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Asian food can be your best friend or your worst enemy. (At least in my case, its been that way. Lol.)

Stay away from anything fried and stay away from rice.

I usually get steamed veggies instead of rice, or brown rice (just make sure that you control your portions, rice is really heavy in calories.)

Shrimp, chicken, and tofu are all good protein options as long as they are not deep fried.

Soup is also a really good option.

On a side note: my fiance is chinese and knows how to make the food, and just fyi, they deep fry the chicken for orange chicken *twice* before serving, so watch out for the fried stuff!
  • Wilson336
    Wilson336 Posts: 76
    Options
    It's not the best, but an egg roll (or even two if I can swing it) do it for me. They are filling and mostly veggie on the inside, so I pretend they are good for me.
  • tashajo414
    tashajo414 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Steamed veggies and shrimp with white rice...then add some low sodium soy sauce!!! A fav!!!!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Moo goo gai pan (1 cup serving)

Calories 272
    Sodium 304 mg
    Total Fat 19 g
    Potassium 488 mg
    Saturated 7 g
    Total Carbs 12 g
    Polyunsaturated 7 g
    Dietary Fiber 3 g
    Monounsaturated 4 g
    Sugars 0 g
    Trans 0 g
    Protein 15 g
    Cholesterol 35 mg

From where and what Specific recipe? Keep in mind that not everyone makes is the same. Nonetheless, this will probably be close.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Steamed veggies and shrimp with white rice...then add some low sodium soy sauce!!! A fav!!!!

This is a great option!