Beginner deadlift question (less than 95#)

Options
Hi,

You do have to start out deadlifting less than 95#, right?

My gym does not have all plates at 17", so I'm currently deadlifting 75# using small 10 and 5# plates. (just finished 5th workout using NROL4W).

So, how do you deadlift using plates smaller than 17"? Do you stack 1 or 2 plates flat on the floor on each side and rest the barbell on them? I stacked plates flat on the floor, but it is so awkward putting the bar back down; it rolls and sometimes falls off the stacked plates.

Is there a secret to this, or am I underestimating what I could do? Do I go right up to using 2 25# plates on the bar?

thanks.

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Could you try using dumbells as a lower weight alternative? It's the only option I have at my gym.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    I don't see how that would work, bc I'm already at 75# . . . need to continue upward with the barbell.

thanks for your answer, though.

anyone else tried stacking plates?
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I don't see how that would work, bc I'm already at 75# . . . need to continue upward with the barbell.

so that's about 34kg or 17kg per dumbell? You don't have dumbells going that high in your gym? We have a a full range which go much higher than that. I don't see how big dumbells wouldn't work.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Ask your gym if they have bumper plates or training plates somewhere. Otherwise look for a power rack and set the pins at the appropriate height.
  • sleepytexan
    Options

so that's about 34kg or 17kg per dumbell? You don't have dumbells going that high in your gym? We have a a full range which go much higher than that. I don't see how big dumbells wouldn't work.

Oops, the 17" plates are 45 lbs each, ha! So until I can lift 135 lbs, I will not be at the ideal start position on the floor.

2 dumbbells are not the same as a barbell lift,. The bar itself weighs 45 lbs and is distributed across your back. For 80# with dumbbells, as an example you would have 40# in each hand, instead of say 85# on a barbell: 45# distributed across your body and then 20# on each side. It will not be the same proportions, the balance is different, the technique is different, and by default you will not employ your back muscles the same way. You're going to lose your grip faster too.

It's all a compromise, so I'm just trying to do it the best, safest method with a barbell until I can lift the 17" plates.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Ask your gym if they have bumper plates or training plates somewhere. Otherwise look for a power rack and set the pins at the appropriate height.

thanks, I'll ask.
  • mrdoc79
    mrdoc79 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, not sure why you are having problems, if using a bar and not deadlift machine, only put 10kg plates on to warm up, these are relatively small in diameter. Have you tried standing on a step or some weigths yourself if you need to give yourself a different position
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yeah i'm not quite sure what the exact problem is. is it that the plates you're using aren't large so you have to squat lower to touch the bar to the floor?

if that's it then you can try using a step riser to set the bar on.

and why do you HAVE to start deadlifting at less than 95#? you start out with whatever weight you need...
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Hi, not sure why you are having problems, if using a bar and not deadlift machine, only put 10kg plates on to warm up, these are relatively small in diameter. Have you tried standing on a step or some weigths yourself if you need to give yourself a different position

OK, I'm pretty sure you're not understanding what I'm talking about. Smaller plates ARE the problem.

Here is a video link demonstrating proper technique for deadlifting. They are doing this at Crossfit, where they have all weight plates the same size (17"). If you watch, you'll notice that the trainer references that fact. This is important, bc for ideal deadlift technique, the barbell has 17" plates, and that will place it at the PROPER HEIGHT from the floor to begin the pull.:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rippletoe+deadlift&oq=rippletoe+deadlift&aq=f&aqi=g-s3g-ms4&aql=&gs_l=youtube.3..0i10l3j0i5i10l4.11403l12440l0l12804l9l9l0l0l0l0l82l642l9l9l0.

My problem is that my gym (not Crossfit) does not have all plates at 17", therefore, when you have lighter (smaller) plates on the bar, the bar will be LOWER than the ideal position for the start of the pull. THIS CAN HURT YOU.

So . . . when this is the case and you have smaller plates (because you can't lift heavier yet), you would typically stack up some plates and rest the barbell on it. Here's a video of someone doing this very thing I am talking about (although she is going to blow her knees out with those squats). This video shows her starting with a deadlift and then squatting, so you don't see her put the barbell back down each time as you would with deadlifts, but it shows what I'm talking about with stacked plates anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0wtMrjLTh4

SO, when I stack the plates, the barbell tends to roll off when you set it back down. I'd like to know HOW DO YOU AVOID THIS? Maybe you can't. I don't know. Just asking!
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    yeah i'm not quite sure what the exact problem is. is it that the plates you're using aren't large so you have to squat lower to touch the bar to the floor?

if that's it then you can try using a step riser to set the bar on.

and why do you HAVE to start deadlifting at less than 95#? you start out with whatever weight you need...

No, you definitely don't understand what I'm saying. You don't squat to deadlift. You don't get higher than the bar. You need to put your feet UNDER the bar. If you have small plates on you can't fit your feet under the bar. You can't put the bar on a step, it will roll off-- my problem is it's rolling off the stacked plates.

I posted videos above. take a look if you're interested.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    i assume you mean something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X8CC7QJdxw

.. you can try those stepping things.. or c if they have something similar like wood in the gym.

edit.. http://www.sportstek.net/images/xrs.gif .. something like this maybe? not sure if gyms allow it but you can ask
  • ianmgull
    ianmgull Posts: 6
    Options
    Everyone here is making this MUCH more complicated than it needs to be.

If you're deadlifting 95lbs put your 25s on each side of the bar. Stack a couple plates under each one; problem solved.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    My deadlift is at 65# now, and I can't wait to be able to use the 45 plates instead of the 25s so I can get the proper set up. For now, I'm just putting the bar on the floor and risking the bad form. It sucks. I shouldn't do it.

I should probably put the bar on a small box (they have those jump box things at my gym) or a few risers like for aerobic step ups. I can see it rolling off of plates, I understand how that is frustrating for you.

Try setting it on a short box or step up risers?
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    i assume you mean something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X8CC7QJdxw

.. you can try those stepping things.. or c if they have something similar like wood in the gym.

edit.. http://www.sportstek.net/images/xrs.gif .. something like this maybe? not sure if gyms allow it but you can ask

yes, that's what I mean, but we don't have blocks. We only have plates. Just wondering if there is a way to keep them from rolling off the plates. Maybe there is no solution.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

this.

otherwise, i guess you would have to rig something.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Everyone here is making this MUCH more complicated than it needs to be.

If you're deadlifting 95lbs put your 25s on each side of the bar. Stack a couple plates under each one; problem solved.

GAH!!!! That was my original question!!! I AM stacking plates!! IT ROLLS OFF, I'm just asking if there is a way to keep them from rolling off. Maybe there is no solution. arghhhhhh.
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I use the squat rack
  • BuckeyeBoi
    BuckeyeBoi Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    R u doing Zerchers squats as well? You can buy foam squares that arent expensive and cut a pcs out of the center to create a groove for your weight till you get heavier weight which shouldnt take a long time at all.... Friend me if you need any questions...
    Brian
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I understand what your saying but unless your gym has boxes or training plates you will need to use a rack. Just lower the pegs to the lowest level and do your lifts from there. You wont be able to lower it all the way to the ground but it will have to work until you get up to a high enough weight.