QUITTING SMOKING, WHAT ARE YOUR TIPS?!?

Options
Okay, so I myself am definitely NOT a smoker! But my parents and some relatives are and I really want them to stop! My mom and aunt want to stop too but they just dont know how. They have tried nicorette gum and patches and those did not work =(
I know some people say they did it cold turkey but .. come on now, not everyone has your guys' awesome will power!

My mom heard about this laser that can get you off the habit ... I think that anything that is going near your brain or anything like that is scary and is not worth it!

Any tips people? I would greatly appreciate some help!

Replies

• OliveJuice1984
    Options
    To be completely honest, I didn't quit smoking until I was actually ready. TRULY ready. I quit cold turkey and it sucked for about two weeks and then each day after that it got easier and easier. It's been almost three months now and I will very rarely have a split second thought of wanting one but I just toss the idea out of my head and move on. Regular gum helped a lot during the first month but now I don't even need the gum (when I thought I'd be addicted to the gum for the rest of my life).

Just like losing weight I don't think quick fixes are that successful. There are tools that one can use, i.e. Nicorette gum/ e-cigarettes/medication, but they are just tools. You (general) have to have the drive, dedication and willpower to quit. If you don't have that then you won't last long.

I wish your family the very best of luck!
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I wasn't ready to quit until about a year ago and you know what worked like a friggin charm? Electronic cigarettes which is just water vapor and nicotine.

I couldn't give up the 4,000 chemicals (including tar) in a cigarette plus nicotine at the same time, so I went to the e-cigs with a low nicotine amount and eventually had so little in my system that I stopped buying those too.

I'm sure there are cons to e-cigs too, but they can't possible be worse than inhaling smoke into lungs. Maybe have them try that. Don't buy the cheap ones at the gas station, order them online. I used V2. You pick your cig flavor (reg or menthol) and a starter pack is about $40 bucks.

That's the only suggestion I have because I never tried the patch or gum.
  • natvanessa
    natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey!! It's not as hard as you would think (and I was a VERY heavy smoker)

My 2 things that helped are a book called "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr, and an iPhone app called "My Last Cigarette".
    They were both truly miraculous in helping me, seriously recommend those that need/want to quit. Good luck to your family!!!
  • erineddy81
    erineddy81 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey about 3 yrs ago I had one every once in a while after that. But I haven't had one in well over a year now. I just figured how much money was being puffed into smoke and put it down and started working out :) Now a good sweat session is my drug of choice :D
  • vicky1966
    vicky1966 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey 7 years ago ...it took around 2 years for the cravings to fully diminish ...just stick with it...don't give in, even on the darkest days..you can do it!
  • Totallydetermined
    Totallydetermined Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The Allen Carr book is amazing. Google it, there are amazing results.
    I've bought this for a few friends and everyone who has read it has quit no problem at all.
    I just wish my parents would read it :-(
    Good luck :-)
  • kjerstenkipp
    kjerstenkipp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I used the gum and the Quit Now app...it's been 190 days. I didn't use the gum on a regular basis. I kind of went cold turkey and right when I would get to the point where I would have said "eff it, I'm buying a pack" i had a piece of gum instead...it got me off the ledge so to speak. Honestly, they have to WANT to do it...you can't quit for anyone but yourself.
  • sunnydale2009
    Options
    Regardless of quitting aids such as gum/patch/champix/zyban/etc, what is essential is the absolute desire to be smoke free. "Wishing" doesn't cut it, the smoker HAS TO WANT TO QUIT, and THAT want has to be strong enough to conquer the nicotine addiction. I know you mean well and that your heart is in the right place, but no one can make the decision to quit except the smoker. I'm glad to say I made that decision last June, and have never regretted it!
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You need two things:

(1) Chantix
    (2) The will to quit.

Worked for me.

As sunnydale said, THEY need to make the decision to quit. You can't do it for them.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I took my usual amount of cigs per day....let's say twenty..

20 cigs a day for 2 days
    19 cigs a day for 2 days
    18 cigs a day for 3 days
    17 cigs a day for 3 days
    16 cigs a day for 3 days
    15 cigs a day for 4 days
    14 cigs a day for 4 days
    13 cigs a day for 4 days
    12 cigs a day for 4 days
    11 cigs a day for 5 days
    10 cigs a day for 5 days
    09 cigs a day for 5 days
    08 cigs a day for 5 days
    07 cigs a day for 5 days
    06 cigs a day for 6 days
    05 cigs a day for 6 days
    04 cigs a day for 6 days
    03 cigs a day for 6 days
    02 cigs a day for 6 days
    01 cig A day for 6 days

As you can see it was a three month process that I used to wean myself off tobacco...giving myself several days at each level, longer time as lower levels so I would not cave into cravings.... I started it and never looked back... No cheating, no excuses.... That was end of last year and I was tobacco free by November 1.... And it is a rare moment when I think about it, and if I do, I simply tell myself I am not a smoker..... I dont go to convenience stores to buy anything and it's the only place that sells cigs here....
  • i_spock
    i_spock Posts: 1
    Options
    It took me about 10 years to quit. One motivation was marrying someone who was a staunch anti-smoker but loved me enough to marry me anyway :-) I used Zyban, nicotine gum, and the patch. For a long time I continued to smoke when I was out at the bars and then used the gum when I couldn't smoke, which was mostly any other time. I also chewed tobacco so I was getting nicotine almost all of my waking hours.

The big motivation for me was when the bars in Wisconsin stopped allowing smoking indoors, so the gradual decline of it being socially acceptable to smoke played a big factor.

Later I was motivated by having my son and I didn't want him to ever see me smoking and think it was an OK thing to do.

In the end I got through it by quitting the gum, using the patch, and sticking to it. I had a plan for what I was going to do when I had a craving. I also found a non-nicotine gum that approximated the nicotine gum's flavor that I had become addicted to- Dentyne Ice Spearmint. For me that was what I went to when I was on the patch and had a nicotine craving.

Anyway it took me a long time to quit, so the point is, if you hit a rough spot and go back to smoking, don't feel bad about it, regroup and try again until you get it!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I quit with an electronic cigarette. It worked instantly. http://www.volcanoecigs.com/
  • Shannonbayer
    Shannonbayer Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You need two things:

(1) Chantix
    (2) The will to quit.

My easiest time ever "quitting" was this way, I definitely agree!
  • Amy_Lee_2012
    Amy_Lee_2012 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking the same day I started my weight loss journey- talk about stressful! I quit cold turkey. It's only been 5 months but I don't miss smoking at all.
    I smoked 2 packs a day- so I figure it I can do it, anyone can. The first month was terrible, and exercising was so hard as I was much heavier then and my breathing was messed up from all the smoking.
    After the first month, though, it got so much easier. I am so happy I quit smoking, especially since I am focusing so much on being healthier.
    You can do it!
  • heidienglund
    heidienglund Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Quiting was the hardest thing I did, and I am so proud I did!
    It's been twelve years, and my advice is:
    Chew gum, go for a walk, talk to other people who don't smoke, eat an apple at your worst craving time, get cinnamon altoids, or cinnamon gum, breathe deep, do different things, and hang in there. It's worth it.
    I got to sing on a hayride after I quit smoking and it felt so good to breathe.
    I wish you the best of luck, it will save your life, if you quit.:wink:
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    You need two things:

(1) Chantix
    (2) The will to quit.

Worked for me.

As sunnydale said, THEY need to make the decision to quit. You can't do it for them.

I agree wholeheartedly. I started smoking at 11! I quit 3 years ago, at 51, using Chantix. I tried everything, for years, gum, patches, cold turkey, even hypnosis. Nothing worked. In all honesty, I didn't really want to quit then. I really wanted to quit when I actually did, using Chantix. Something else may have worked for me too, by that point but, I was a skeptic. I wish you a lot of luck and the best to you and your family. If they want to quit, I think they can.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I tried cold turkey and failed miserably. Champix worked for me, it's been 1 year and 3 months :)

ETA: Champix is the Canadian version of Chantix.
  • Marper8521
    Marper8521 Posts: 160
    Options
    I recently choose not to smoke. Had been smoking for almost 25 years. You can't will someone into quiting they must want to for themselves. What will help them is your love and continue to talk to them about how much you cafe for them. Until they decide, you will just make yourself sick. I used the pill (wellbutrin) and patch.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Sign up for a road race and start training to run it - the whole thing. It's been a while since I've been a true smoker, but working out and drinking less helps the most for me. It took a little while, but eventually I started to LOATHE the sluggish, tight-chested feeling I'd get when I tried to run or work out after I had smoked in the previous 24 hrs.