Staying on track in social settings and holidays

Options
I can usually stay on track during the week when it is just my husband and I, but on the weekends, when our friends want to go out to dinner and have drinks, it is so hard to be good when everyone else is enjoying all the bad stuff. What do you do to try to keep on track in social settings.

Also, any suggestions for the Easter Sunday feast coming up this weekend? How do you limit your calorie intake?

Replies

• peppiee
    peppiee Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've decide to exercise Easter morning and then not worry about food the rest of the day. It's only one day. As far as the social situations, that's much tougher. I'm actually limiting them for now, so instead of every week, say every other, plus definite gym time the day I go out. Finding as I get lighter and am eating less, takes a lot less to get buzzed, so must be careful.
  • kayceerox
    kayceerox Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Good idea... I guess I need to burn major calories sunday morning so I can enjoy a few goodies. This is my first week back on MFP so I am just worried about losing motivation by having one bad day, because that tends to happen to me. As far as the social events, I guess I can always be the DD when we go out to at least limit the liquid calories.
  • kelleyke
    kelleyke Posts: 20
    Options
    If I know that I'm going out I tend to eat a lighter breakfast and lunch and not have snacks so I can go out and still enjoy myself. I sometimes will also add an extra workout during the day to give myself more of a calorie buffer. If it's a regular kind of thing I think your best bet would be working on moderation.

As for Easter Sunday I'm going to enjoy myself and not limit my calorie intake but also try not to go overboard. It's one day, I would have to consume almost 6000 calories to gain a pound and that would just be pointlessly stuffing myself. The important thing I think is to avoid getting off track before and after. Leftovers/candy and not exercising for a few days before and after I think is where people tend to fall off the wagon.
  • kayceerox
    Options
    Moderation! That is something I definitely need to learn. This weekend will be a great test to see if I can actually stick to a diet for once in my life. I am going to try not to go crazy so I can come home feeling great instead of guilty. The guilt I think is what makes me lose focus. If I over indulge, I feel like I messed up and ruined the whole diet and then I just give up on it all together and then I just start all over again a few months later. It is a vicious cycle that I have to break. Thanks for the advice guys :)
  • jfaure23
    jfaure23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I hate to see food go to waste, and part of that led me to the weight I was at. Now during social get togethers, I understand it's not my responsibility to eat all the food prepared for the guests. I eat only what I want to eat, not what I think I should be eating to let the host(ess) know I appreciate his/her food. Does that make sense? And, I also just try to cut calories in my options... for example, I don't butter the bread, and I keep dressing on the side. Small changes that nobody will notice, only you.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    It's one day out of the month! Enjoy yourself and enjoy the company! That doesn't mean Gorge your face off, but be conscious of the quality of your choices and you'll be fine!

In the long run, one evening isn't going to kill your progress. Besides, good food is one of the greatest simple pleasures in life!

Think Big Picture/Long term changes, not day by day and you'll be on the right track
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to be careful, and trying to figure out how I will handle it. We are having to go to two easters this year....one side of the family is very supportive of losing weight and has been on me for a while about it, while the other makes fun of me for not eating more then a quarter of the plate (because usually they will eat two or three big plates full).....
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Skip the dinner, have drinks and go dancing!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Yep I work hard most of the time to stay within my daily allowances but on date night or out with friends I just have fun. I do know a lot more about what I am eating now and cant help but calculate how many cals are in whatever Im eating/drinking.
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The fact that you're aware of the temptations you're about to face is a good thing! One big meal won't undo all of your hard work. Just make sure it stays as one meal or one night or one day.. don't let it spread beyond that.

Enjoy the weekend but pay attention to mindless calories you may consume.. ie. not standing near the chip bowl etc or grabbing handfuls of mini eggs or drinking beverages you don't love. Save the calories for the real feast.

If you're going to "cheat".. make sure it's with high quality food and drink!
  • jaydubbayu
    jaydubbayu Posts: 456
    Options
    Work out, light breakfast, light lunch, light dinner, drink what ya want and eat some pretzels! That's how I justify a 12 pack on a Friday!
  • kayceerox
    Options
    This is great advice. Make sure it is just one meal, or one day. That is always the hardest part. I can't feel like I have failed for indulging once in a while and have to make sure to get right back on track. I am going to keep this piece of advice in my back pocket. :)
  • NinjaMonkey201
    Options
    Eat before you have the feast. That way you're not starving and having to stare at all that yummy food. And if you're going to eat some not-so-healthy food, portions portions portions.
    I also like to throw in an extra workout, just in case.
    And if it's a pot-luck feast, bring with something healthy.
    And most importantly, forgive yourself if you don't eat something healthy. That was always my biggest mistake. I'd eat something bad for me, then throw in the towel the rest of the day because of it. One meal is one meal. Not the whole day.
    Good luck!
  • alharbour
    alharbour Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have stopped going out to lunch with friends. I am the only one of my friends who has what I call a "healthy lifestyle". They are all mommies who have not finished having babies and they simply aren't concerned about their bodies. I am thru having babies and ready to lose this weight! I do take a cheat day every Sunday so that my family can go out for lunch after church. I plan to enjoy my Easter meal and time with my hubby and kids and not worry about what I am eating. Sometimes you just have to take the day off to maintain your sanity!
  • jbash94
    jbash94 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am also someone who doesn't like letting food go to waste! I often blindly eat the food, and after I eat, feel guilty. But it's getting better :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If I go out to eat, I'm going to eat and enjoy the food. Why pay for something I either A.) Don't really want or B.) only eat half of? I just don't go out as much anymore.
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I like to go out to eat with my friends - I have taken to looking at the menu online in advance to plan out some healthier options or at least plan the rest of my day around the meal if I am going to indulge. For instance I will be having some beer with friends tonight so I am going to have a very light breakfast and lunch + I ran this morning. And try to remember one bad day really won't hurt you if you can keep your weekly calorie goals in mind! A week's worth of exercise/ calorie deficit matters way more, don't be discouraged by one bad meal or bad day, we all have them sometimes!
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    On regular social settings.. I've got a handle on what I can eat.. might be very little but I stick witht he raw veggie platters and stuff like that. Now Holidays are much tougher for me because the family parties revolve around food. Usually high fatty yummy foods that I choose not eat. But I always feel out of place at the holiday parties because everyone else is stuffing their faces and I am walking around seeing if anyone needs a refill.. ughh.. Strict Fitness Meals are a killer. It is definitely not for everyone.
  • CarlaDye
    CarlaDye Posts: 17
    Options
    I cant drink alcohol so that is not an issue for me. As to what to eat, I try to suggest restaurants that have grilled steak, pork chops or chicken since sauces are deadly to the scale. Since most meals come with bread, I try to limit myself to 1 piece. I also ask if I can substitute a veggie for the potatoes. For dessert, I suggest ordering less and sharing.

I also plan my other meals around going out. I try to stick to low carb and low sodium on dining out days.

As for the holidays that is much harder. We have large family get togethers based around food. Again I try to limit the carbs and sodium in other meals that day and just accept that I will go over my goals that day. It is just one day. Our menu for Easter is glazed ham. sweet potato casarole, green beans, cole slaw, blackberry pie and pumpkin pie. I make the potato casarole and use half the sugar and butter, it calls for, no one seems to miss it. I do the green beans with Mrs Dash so they aren't covered in cream of mushroom soup. I also do the slaw with light Marzettis and no one seems to notice a difference. We have lots of raw veggies with a light homemade dip.
    I also weigh and measure my food. It is too easy for portions to creep up otherwise. I make sure I am the last one to sit down and the first one to get up. I also refill the serving dishes. I helps me to be moving around instead of watching everyone else eating heaping plates of food. I make sure I cut the pie into at least 8-12 servings depending on the size of the pie plate. No one complains about it since they can help themselves to a second piece.

This works for me since I have a tendency to binge when I feel deprived. I end up gaining alot more than if I allowed myself to have the same food as everyone else.