Why does everyone congratulate on not meeting net calories?

Options

Replies

• TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I guess most people want to give positive comments and don't want to give unsolicited advice about how many calories they "should be" eating.

This ^
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    If I see a friend too far under, I will comment on why so low.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    its better then going over

HA i went over today AND I FEEL.......sleepy...so (:yawn: ) sleepy.....zzzzzzzzzzz......e um GREAT I FEEL GREAT!!:tongue:
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I agree with this, it seems like the majority of people here have a 1200 calorie daily goal which is already too low for most people. Going under that is never good and in many cases, actually eating more within reason, of course, is definitely better.
    its better then going over

I disagree, I've learned it's better to go over than to stay under.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I usually try not to comment when someone doesn't make their goal, they already know. I'll read thier diary if it's open and sometimes send a personal note if THEY comment first, but especially if they are downing themselves for doing it.
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    If you are suppose to be reaching your net calories for healthy weightloss, why does everyone congratulate and therefore promoting not eating your caloric needs? I mean I can understand if you are like 100 or less away, but 300, 400, 500.... that's not good!!!! So why do I see it so often?

Amen, sister! I wish MFP would do away with that. It's not healthy to stay under your goal. Your goal should be met right? But this topic has been talked up one way and down the other and people still don't listen.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    mheh. i dont pay attention to my net calories. i dont see what the big deal is. it doesnt make a difference for me. some days i have some pretty tough workouts and can burn close to 1000 calories in an hour. if i'm not that hungry then there's no way i'm going to eat the 1800 calories i regularly eat AND an additional 1000 on op of that just to make the net calorie graph even out :laugh:
    agreed, and other days i DO eat all those additional calories!!!!
  • mcgwnkrista
    Options
    I guess most people want to give positive comments and don't want to give unsolicited advice about how many calories they "should be" eating.

This! Sometimes I will be like "Wow, I don't know how you survived without any snacks during the day!" just so I can point out the lack of calories consumned without coming off forceful or as giving unwarranted advice.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I turned off the stupid auto-newsfeed post. I'm sure no one cares if I was under or over my calories, it's just pointless spam.
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    i disagree with you how do you know they have eating disorders unless they tell you so? I regularly go way under calories because i have major burns and just can't eat that much it doesn't mean i am starving myself or binging. Most people on here are glass houses throwing stones how did you get to where you are in the first place over eating is as much an eating disorder as anorexia or bulimia. Why can't everyone stop being so judgmental and just support everyone who is trying their best to be healthy.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    That is like asking why people are so nasty and mean on thread posts rather than giving a civil answer they are mean and cruel. Positive encouragement is better than being mean and rude in my book and when one comes right down to it if you don’t have anything good to say don’t say it at all. If my friends are doing good I will say something if they are not I will give them other type of encouragement.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a different threshold of what is a "good" under and what is "too low". for me, 100-200 under and even up to 100 over are all good within the target range. Once it gets to 300-400 under that's probably not as good. I usually won't say anything in this case.
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I try to only congratulate when they are under and close to their calorie goal. I wholeheartedly support meeting the calorie goals.
  • Dojjin
    Dojjin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am almost always under, even when I "cheat" I still always seem to be under or right as my Net calorie intake.

I don't really try, I don't have to, I eat so healthy now that it's easy to keep under and still be full and completely nourished with nutrition.

For the comments on: "It's better to stay under OR go over." I say it's better to do what your body feels it needs, don't starve or gorge, listen to your body.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Well, I burned 1000 calories today and eating 2500 feels impossible. I'm just not hungry. If I was hungry, I'd eat, though.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    this is why my diary is password protected and only select people have the code, I got sick and tired of the negative drama..we don't know what someone has been thru, if they are under the care of a doctor, etc. I tend to offer advice when asked, or if I am legitimately worried..I'm not the food police..
  • SlimBBQ
    SlimBBQ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Serenity64
    Options
    I changed my setting so that whether I'm over/under my calorie goal doesn't show in my feed and therefore, my friends don't get daily announcements. Some days I'm right on, some under and some over. I'd rather be congratulated for exercising and progress toward my weight goal.
  • austindog2
    austindog2 Posts: 128
    Options
    Before I comment on a friend's diary completion, I check out what they ate for the day. Went over a little but still ate healthy? Congrats! Was under by a few hundred but earned a lot of calories from exercise? Congrats again! However, if they're significantly under and have been for a few days, I might offer some constructive feedback along with praising something that they did well that day, like hydration. I'm not an expert, but if I were doing something detrimental to my body (especially unintentionally if I didn't know any better), then I would like to have someone point it out nicely!
  • LeisureRunner
    Options
    Who says you have to eat all of your exercise calories? If you burn a lot and want to eat more then have it! If you don't feeling like eating back any exercise calories then don't. Wow, that was simple.