Can any one recommend a good protein powder?

Options
mwcraig34
mwcraig34 Posts: 359 Member
I haven't had too much experience with protein powders! I'm looking to start adding some to my diet any recommendations? And taste will also be a big factor! I don't need 2lbs of poo powder! If it taste bad I will find you and make you drink it!

Replies

• hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I just started on Body Fortress - Super Advanced Whey Protein - Chocolate last night and it's awesome especially if you use some almond milk (I just use the regular kind). It mixes in really well and tasted awesome. Two scoops will get you 52 grams of protein and especially the essential kinds you need after a workout.
  • gracefullyjenn7
    gracefullyjenn7 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like optimum nutrition from Vitamin Shoppe. Doesnt have a lot of fillers
  • aguilarrumiko
    aguilarrumiko Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nhh2012
    Nhh2012 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    GNC Strawberries and cream- i usually add some frozen mixed fruit from food club-it's DELISH!
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Myofusion Probiotic
  • iloveseattle
    iloveseattle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • CaloriaHernandez
    Options
    Sun Warrior products are more apealing to me
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition!
  • dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I haven't had too much experience with protein powders! I'm looking to start adding some to my diet any recommendations? And taste will also be a big factor! I don't need 2lbs of poo powder! If it taste bad I will find you and make you drink it!

I use Trutein by Truscience. It has 40% Whey, 40% Micellar Casein, and 20% Egg White with no sugar added.
    23g Protein with Omega 3's as well.

Hook Em Horns!!

Diana
  • cp37
    cp37 Posts: 36
    Options
    We use Optimum Nutrition in my house. We have tried Vanilla Ice Cream and Strawberry. My kids even like it if that tells you about the taste... definitely not like poo. :) It mixes really well too.
  • musclefat2k
    musclefat2k Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Biorhythm 100% whole gains.
    Just add water!
    It has all of the vitamins and minerals needed to maintain good macronutrients as well. it's the best switch i have made over the last two years and i have used a couple different brands and types. The Isopure's and the Wheybolics are more for post workout recovery and protein supplementation. But if your looking for a meal replacement as well as a post workout recovery protein. It's probably the best tasting one that I have ever had.
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I use CytoSport 100% Whey Protein Powder (Vanilla Flavour). http://www.amazon.com/CytoSport-makers-Muscle-Protein-Vanilla/dp/B003U0E044
    Personally, I'm not a HUGE fan. One scoop mixed with just water makes me feel kind of queasy, but mixed with other foods (like one scoop +oatmeal) it tastes pretty good.
  • wmlpd6
    wmlpd6 Posts: 135
    Options
    I just started on Body Fortress - Super Advanced Whey Protein - Chocolate last night and it's awesome especially if you use some almond milk (I just use the regular kind). It mixes in really well and tasted awesome. Two scoops will get you 52 grams of protein and especially the essential kinds you need after a workout.

I second this. I have been using this lately. Tastes pretty good, makes nice smoothies or you can just mix with water, milk etc
  • mvat839
    mvat839 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased PRECISION ENGINEERED WHEY PROTEIN POWDER in wild strawberry flavor from Vitamin World...and have to say...it's very tasty! I've tried a bunch of others and mixed in different ways. However, this particular brand mixed with 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk makes it taste pretty close to a real milk shake! Ok ok not really that close but close enough for a healthful drink.
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I haven't had too much experience with Protein Powders, as i've only tried two brands, but so far I like using Optimum Gold Standard Whey,

http:// www .bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey. html

I bought 4 flavours: Delicious Strawberry, Mocha, Chocolate Peanut Butter and Banana Cream. Flavour wise? I'd rate it as:

Banana: 10/10, excellent flavour, mixes superbly, no after taste.
    Mocha: 8.8/10, Mixes good too, taste is good especially with milk.
    Strawberry: 1/10, Mixes fine, but NASTY, whether or not I got a bad batch or it's just the horrific flavour it is - didn't like it's smell, or during/after taste. I did mix that with Milk as well.
    Chocolate Peanut Butter: 8/10, First time I didn't like the flavour (also with milk 1%), but second time I did. I suppose it's recommended to shake well before use, maybe for even flavour/sufficient distribution.

I also tried a locally store bought brand of "MuscleTech" I chose the Decadent Chocolate and a Vanilla Creme one. Chocolate was good, Vanilla .. not so much.

I bought 2lb tubs of each of those flavours, and am more than 3/4 down on Mocha, about more than 3/4 on PB, about same as Banana and Strawberry I won't touch until I *Have* to.

I have found some gains using them too, I was staggered at the same weight/muscle building for the longest times, reps never getting better, sets same - but have progressed and up'ed the weight in weeks, each week - especially bench, but I could also attribute that to fine tuning weaker muscles that were holding me back in sets (ergo - Triceps).

Just my two cents. I know if you buy from bb.com sometimes if you checkout the "Workout Equipment" Forum sections, there are BB,com Discount codes you can apply to orders. I used one for my purchase.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb tastes pretty good if you can handle stevia-I'm allergic, otherwise this would be the brand I would use
  • USMCConditioning
    Options
    Hey there Craig, I find that my current protein powder suites my needs well, However, i'm not a picky person really. I can stomach 8oz of of not so great tasting protein powder if that means i can get 23+ grams of protein with light calorie count to follow it. I get EAS 100% whey protein, Vanilla flavored. that contains a little more than 100 calories a scoop. However, there is a GNC product that is of a higher quality that is roughly 80-90 calories per scoop. It's called Amplified Wheybolic pro. It's a little expensive, but that is because it's extremely important to get 23-30 grams of protein ASAP, post workout. and the Amplified wheybolic protein ensures that you get the protein needed within the time frame needed. All i do is just add it with water, but that is because that is 99% of my fluid intake.

Both of those protein powders i have suggested work well for me, but as always, people's opinions will vary. good luck!
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like NitroFusion, it's tastes pretty good plain, not chalky. I use vanilla because I can mix it in anything; fruit, greens, cacao..
    120 cals
    21g protein
    2g fat
    4g carb
    390mg sodium
    60mg potassium
    BCAA 4,500mg
    L-Glutamine 3,350mg
    But depending on your goals you might need something with more protein per serving.

ETA: best deals I've seen on any protein powder are on amazon.com
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    I just bought a big bag of supermarket's own skimmed dried milk powder. Just add it to milk with a banana or oats, or whatever you want in there... easy home made protein shake :bigsmile: