Feet Go Numb While Running

Options

Replies

• kyt1206
    kyt1206 Posts: 101
    Options
    Your circulation is getting cut off - your foot is using up all the available energy and after that 1 mile mark, it's run out of what ATP it can pull in the immediate vicinity, hence you're getting numbness and tingling - it's telling you it's low on energy.

Go to a Running shoe store, like Fleet Feet, get sized properly, go run again :)
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    My feet tend to do this on the ellipitcal. I started tying my shoes a little looser and it helped a bit.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Could you be pregnant, or maybe diabetic?
  • bilzprincess
    bilzprincess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    This happens on the AMT machine (low impact)' happens when I run on treadmill, happens when I run in streets. One size larger shoe hasnt stopped it, and I'm just sucking it up. Which is foolish--I just didn't think there was a solution. I may ask at the running store to fit me for a wider Brooks shoe. I'm at about 100 miles left on these shoes. I am excited to find out if just a wider shoe cld so easily solve it!
  • lovelee79
    lovelee79 Posts: 362
    Options
    Bump.
    My feet often go numb on the elliptical, but not when I run. I hate the feeling and always wondered what was wrong with my feet :(
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note, your feet may swell after you're into your run, causing your shoe to restrict circulation. This happened to a friend of mine who ended up going to a running shoe "expert" who would get down on the ground to watch him walk, measured his foot from a bazillion different angles and made him run on a treadmill. When all was said and done, he handed my friend a size 11 shoe while my friend adamantly told him that no, he wears a size 10.5. Shoe man said doesn't matter for running shoe, said foot is size 10.5 for church, for around the house, for work, but is size 11 for running. He told my friend his feet swell when he runs and that he needs the extra room to allow for the swelling.

Shoe man was right. My friend had no more tingly, achy feet.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Go back and talk to them. That's one of the advantages to dealing with a running store. They will help analyze the problem, and likely swap them out for a something different.
  • tammiemcdonald
    tammiemcdonald Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. I had that - tried new shoes (Asics the best). To no avail. Then i went to podiatrist and he said i have flat feet. Since ive had orthodics, i dont get pins and needles in my feet anymore (or lose sensation).
  • todaysanewday
    Options
    I had that for years... I wear a size 10 in alllll shoes, so I bought a 10 in running shoes always. Someone suggested that I get a size bigger... duh! Never, in 16 years of running did I think of this!!! It worked like a charm! I've never had numbness in my feet since!!!

I have to tell you, I was a Women's Shoes Buyer for Nordstrom for years so I know a thing or two about shoes and sneakers. If you run, I highly recommend you buy one and a half sizes larger (at the very least one size larger, I happen to prefer one and a half) than you normally wear in shoes. The sneaker is designed to have those extra holes to lace up all the way up your ankle so that the laces are tied and keep your heel in place at the back of the sneakers while your toes in the front are roomy and comfortable while you are running. I can guarantee having a larger size sneaker will help you without a doubt :)
  • mybiketrip
    mybiketrip Posts: 239
    Options
    Hey! I think this might help.

When I tie my shoes too tight they cause my feet to become tingly and numb, so I loosen the laces a bit and they fit much better.

I also read in a running book... Either "The complete book of running" or "The lore of running" I cant remember.... that some people will have two sets of laces in their shoes (cutting them down to size) where one of them overs the toe-midfoot lace holes, and the second one covers the midfoot to top lace holes. This enables you to loosen/tighten the shoes grip on both parts of your feet until you find a good lace tension which works for you.

Happy running!
  • mybiketrip
    mybiketrip Posts: 239
    Options
    Hey! I think this might help.

When I tie my shoes too tight they cause my feet to become tingly and numb, so I loosen the laces a bit and they fit much better.

I also read in a running book... Either "The complete book of running" or "The lore of running" I cant remember.... that some people will have two sets of laces in their shoes (cutting them down to size) where one of them overs the toe-midfoot lace holes, and the second one covers the midfoot to top lace holes. This enables you to loosen/tighten the shoes grip on both parts of your feet until you find a good lace tension which works for you.

Happy running!

Oh! and I also wear a slightly larger shoe size when it comes to sunning shoes!
  • Heidi_M78
    Heidi_M78 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Try loosen your laces a bit.
    That helped me. I was doing them too tight
  • Michellerawrrr
    Michellerawrrr Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mrdanielpartridge
    Options
    I have been having this same issue. It started happening everyday lately. I would get this once in a while previously, and I found I had tied my shoes too tight. However, now I am absolutely dumbfounded as to why it is happening all the time. I am going to try different shoes. I went to a shoe store and was fitted with Brooks Ghost5 size 13 with a wedge correction for over pronation of left foot. Previously I was wearing Nike Lunarglide+ 4 size 12. We shall see.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I use to have that problem when I was running many years ago (1999ish)...I found out later it was because of the issues in my lower back, have since had 2 back surgeries...my feet don't go numb anymore, but I can no longer run. My back can't take the impact...so I have to do elliptical or something that is low or no impact.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Take the shoes back. This happens to me in a lot of shoes (like Brooks). I think it's something about how the cushion is laid out in the shoe and your foot strike. I mildly overpronate, but have a mid-foot strike, so it took some doing to find something with cushioning and support in exactly the right place for my feet. Numbness around mile 1-1.5 that never went away was a frequent problem in shoes that weren't right.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that said you need bigger or wider shoes. Your running shoes need to be a half to a full size bigger than your normal shoe size. A good running store should know that. I think you have run enough miles for the shoes to be broken in so that's not the issue. I know the running store by me would take them back. If you went to a good store and got fitted, they should take them back.
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    As some mentioned before you shoes may be too narrow. I don't fit in most running shoes in the female shoe, because they are too narrow. So I wear the male version. Normally I wear about a 10 -10.5 female and run in Asics 9.5 male sizes. Since I do this I never had an issue with numbness.
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Are you tying them too tightly? I used to have the same problem when walking on the treadmill. Try loosening them up a little.
  • CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Take them back! Tell them what the issue is. Anyone at a running store should be able to tell you what the problem is and fix it by getting you into the right shoe. Good Luck.