Hurray for Gastric Bypass!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I'm contemplating bypass surgery (the sleeve) but im pretty scared that after all that I will go back to my old habits and nothing will be resolved. I'm also concerned about what losing 75% of my stomach will do to me long term. I'm however more and more aware of the fact that there may not be another option. My brother lost 50 lbs on medifast diet in just one month, and I think, what can't I do that? but im pretty sure I can't.
    Would love to hear from others,

My opinion is that you CAN do it on your own and that is thee BEST way to do it. This site is full of people who lost a lot of weight but you have to put in the effort and you have to realize it's a very SLOW process. You do not want to lose 50 lbs in one month, it's not safe at all.

First, let me say I'm not here to bash those that chose surgery as their option for weight loss. I considered this many times, with only the financial part that held me back. But I also want to put it out there that most EVERYONE can lose without surgery! I'm living proof to this. I was a whopping 665lbs just last February. In around 13 months, I've dropped 287lbs & feel tons better! No surgery, no magic pills, no weird diets. Log my food, do my exercise, drink my water....& lots of prayer! God bless you all....I'm here to support you whatever HEALTHY choice you make(no hcg, no crazy fad diets). Have a blessed day!:drinker:
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I am curious what the docs tell you about alcohol consumption after surgery. I ask because I have a relative who had gastric bypass and apparently he gets drunk after one or two drinks and has had a couple of DUI's. It is really affecting him adversely.
  • Sal4kids00
    Sal4kids00 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    that's awesome Gary!! May I ask you what kind of meal plan were you on?
  • Kluvztt18
    Kluvztt18 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1, 43 year old female. I had gastric bypass surgery on June 28th with a starting weight of 216 and was a size 18/20. Today I weigh 125 and am a size 4. It is the best thing I could have ever done for myself. It's still a work in progress. My focus in 2012 is fitness and nutrition and being healthy. I love my new size. I had virtually no complications with my surgery and would do it again in a heartbeat if given the choice again. I used to have a love affair with food. I love that I do not think about eating all the time now. It's just something I do to survive, it's not an event. I would be happy to answer any questions that any of you might have that are considering such a drastic step. I was fortunate that my insurance paid 100%. I have been the model gastric bypass patient and follow the rules, take my supplements, get the protein intake, etc... I never want to go back to where I was. You can see my pictures on my profile before and how I look today. I am very proud and only have 5 more pounds to go before I'm done.

Can I ask you all that have done WLS something? I have a HS friend that had gastric bypass and she was very successful but she had a ton of skin leftover that she had to have surgically removed. Has anyone else had this issue? Is it fairly common with WLS?

Thanks!
  • babyblooeyes
    babyblooeyes Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm contemplating bypass surgery (the sleeve) but im pretty scared that after all that I will go back to my old habits and nothing will be resolved. I'm also concerned about what losing 75% of my stomach will do to me long term. I'm however more and more aware of the fact that there may not be another option. My brother lost 50 lbs on medifast diet in just one month, and I think, what can't I do that? but im pretty sure I can't.

My opinion is that you CAN do it on your own and that is thee BEST way to do it. This site is full of people who lost a lot of weight but you have to put in the effort and you have to realize it's a very SLOW process. You do not want to lose 50 lbs in one month, it's not safe at all.

First, let me say I'm not here to bash those that chose surgery as their option for weight loss. I considered this many times, with only the financial part that held me back. But I also want to put it out there that most EVERYONE can lose without surgery! I'm living proof to this. I was a whopping 665lbs just last February. In around 13 months, I've dropped 287lbs & feel tons better! No surgery, no magic pills, no weird diets. Log my food, do my exercise, drink my water....& lots of prayer! God bless you all....I'm here to support you whatever HEALTHY choice you make(no hcg, no crazy fad diets). Have a blessed day!:drinker:

Great work Gary1977 your hard work and determination is paying off. You should be proud of yourself.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Not trying to highjack this thread, and I feel the same way Gary does.... More power to you for taking control of your life for the better but as a voice of reason too, it is very possible getting your mind right, eating right, exercising daily, and putting yourself first can achieve the same result without surgery. I started out at 560 lbs. an pretty much unable to walk, I had a computer chair I rolled myself from room to room.. I finally had that AHA moment and decided either get busy living or get busy dying... and I choose Life!! It has been a long hard fought road but worth every ounce of blood, sweat, and tears... To the OP congrats on your weight loss, just wanted to throw my hat into the ring that this is possible without surgery.... Cheers.......
  • bigdal77
    bigdal77 Posts: 69
    Options
    Hi i had gastric bypass on 9 jan 2011 and lost 232lbs so far and i started at 471lbs not had any problems its been great and good luck to all of you :)
  • OCMomof2
    OCMomof2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I finished my 12 weeks of Option classes with Kaiser. I've gotten a few calls from the surgeons office. I'm just waiting to set up a nutrition class, one on one with the surgeon and my surgery date! Shouldn't be long now!
  • jewel1222
    jewel1222 Posts: 1
    Options
    WTG on your weightloss!!!!!!!!!!! You should be so proud of youself:wink:
  • itamd1970
    itamd1970 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass on 10/22. So far so good! It's definitely a challenge. Now that I'm feeling good, all the urges have come back. I'm hoping that I learn how to manage myself. At any rate, I've lost 20 lbs in two weeks. Not bad on the whole. I'm going to try to learn how to use this tool, now that i don't eat very much. Hopefully I can get it to become part of my life.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!