water, water, water....crystal light?

Options
I have been learning all about the importance of water - for life, for health and for weight loss. My problem - drinking that much water! I know that I will be able to get there but at the beginning of this journey it is hard. I have been drinking crystal light and water and I was told that that was ok...the fluids are important.
Thoughts?

Replies

• joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I am not a big water drinker either. I didn't used to drink water in the a.m., because it made me feel nauseous. Now I do while I'm exercising. Also in cold weather I don't drink much - I don't like my water too cold. Sometimes, I would go most of the day before I realized I hadn't drunk any water. Then I would end up drinking a lot before bed and then have to wake up a few times in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.
    I try to drink a glass of water before each meal or snack. That way I get my water in and I fill up a little before I eat and won't stuff myself as much.
    I also heard that we don't really need to drink 8 glasses a day - because we do get water from other foods, so I thnk the magic number now is 6 glass a day.
    Sometimes I squeeze a lime or lemon into my water for some flavor - plus some much-needed vitamin C.

Good Luck!!:smile:
  • jastarki
    jastarki Posts: 14
    Options
    When I started out, I was drinking a lot of crystal light. I liked the flavour and it seemed to help with my sweet cravings.
    I started phasing it out slowly, by using only half a pack (the singles, for one bottle of water), and then a quarter, and then just a dash. I found that I could still taste the sweetness of it, even when I was only using a little bit.
    Ideally, I like to keep any unnecessary sweeteners out of my water, but if it's helping you drink more I don't know that there's any harm.
    I have heard that the intensity of the taste can cause cravings, though, which is why I started phasing it out.
    "Training the taste buds", so to speak. :wink:
  • pmdhardy
    pmdhardy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I always use crystal light.. and I am drinking it right now. I try to use only half a pack in my bottle. Crystal light makes it so much easier to drink the water.. the only thing i find is i hate to drink it without using it now because there is no taste.. so I am gonna stick to using it because I love it and i always get 3-4 bottles of water a day. I also use some flavours when making smoothies.. it makes them so tasty.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I drink more water when it's flavored, and currently add Propel Zero to mine. The raspberry lemonade flavor is my favorite.
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I drink the Propel Zero Berry. It's my FAVE!!!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I like getting the packs that supposedly make 2 liters and make 3 liters with them. Plenty tasty for me.
    I also water down gatorade g2, not nearly as low calorie, but not so bad.

Also if water itself bores you, try adding some lemon or lime. I've heard they even have lemon or lime
    flavor things..trulemon or something?
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    To each their own, the way I see it.

I stay away from any type of artificial sweetener because it makes me bloat. But lately I've discovered Crystal Light Pure, which is sweetened with Truvia and real sugar (and only 30 calories a packet). It helps me get an extra bottle or two of water down each day.

I was always told to have lots of water and unsweetened iced tea.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of sparkling water with a slice of lime or lemon during the day, when I'm at work. At home, especially in the summer, I add cucumber slices and mint leaves to large bottles of still or tap water and refrigerate them - the water infuses with the flavour, no calories are added, and it's very refreshing. Other people add berries, different herbs, citrus... play around and see what works for you. I also make sure to have a large glass of water as part of my daily rituals - first thing when I wake up in the morning, after I brush my teeth, when I get home from work and just before bed. A UK pint glass is more than 2 cups of water/glass, so those four moments provide my minimum for the day - spaced out is just as good as constant drinking.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    The only way I can get my water in is the generic form of mios (from walmart). It really helps, the taste is wonderful and I feel that its a small price to pay to get in my req water for the day-I say do what works!
  • kteej
    kteej Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I make a pitcher of 'lemonade' every morning - juice of 2 lemons, 2 pkg stevia, a lot of water. It can also be heated to replace tea or coffee.
  • kteej
    kteej Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Drink a glass of water - as though it's a vitamin - every time you wash your hands after using the bathroom!

I also like basil, stevia, & ginger in hot water.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I love CL but I think it gives me a stomach ache...I try to limit myself to one maybe two a day....I mix one in 1-1.5 liter bottles...too sweet in those smaller bottles!

Good job on increasing your water! It is so important!!!
  • awidener86
    awidener86 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    When I did weight watchers the lady told me that I could drink crystal light and count it as my water intake. I love that I found the energy ones they seem to have just the right amount of caffiene for a quick and easy pick me up
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I've heard lots of negative things about crystal light, including a story from one man that resulted in his wife in the ER as a result of feeling like she was having a heart attack. The Dr, even though I'm not sure of the research/science behind this stated it was likelly caused by "excessive amounts of cl". I'm not sure how much you are planning on consuming, but I would use cl only in moderation or none at all!