3LB Gain overnight

Options
Last night I went a bit overboard... Popcorn, crisps and takeaway... I'm up 3lbs today. Is this actually possible?!?!?!?

Replies

• HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    it's that evil water weight...
  • polonightmare
    Options
    salt in the chips making you retain water...drink up and it should come off :)
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Thanks for raising this. I have odd mornings like this and it can be so disheartening. I'll try a couple of gallons!
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    This is why I weight in every day and log it as a food note because doing so actually stopped making me crazy....LOL. It is amazing how much weight fluctuates overnight - up 3 down 4, up 2 down 1..........just laugh about it and move on. Within a day or two it will be back down. I laugh at the scale now.
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I get this after a Chinese meal, always 3lbs up the next day. Don't worry, it comes off almost as quickly if you get back on track. It's not real weight, it's water retention from all the salt. Give it a couple of days and it should be gone :)
  • papergirl22
    papergirl22 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate as much as 5# from one morning to the next at times. It's ridiculous. The thing that calms me is asking myself...did you eat 3500 (or 5x that!) extra calories the last couple days, or yesterday, whatever to actually gain that pound. Generally the answer is NO. So I win that scale battle hands down. I also get 3-5 weight readings on my scale, it never reads right the first time, even when I've tested it with a confirmed weight, like a barbell plate. So I take the one that comes up the most. When I hit a loss, I record it and that is my weight...the rest is fluctuations due to water gain/loss. I use one day a week as my official but I NEVER record a higher weight unless it's me truly packing on the pounds because I can't control what I shove in the mouth....

Don't sweat it as long as you are being honest with yourself about your food portions and selections.

;-)
  • charmalene
    charmalene Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the positive feedback guys. It's good to know I'm not the only one and also makes me more determined to get it back off! Drinking water like there's no tomorrow! Hopefully I will be back to normal in the next day or two :):)
  • arl29
    arl29 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself this morning and am almost 5 lbs more than I was when I weighed in last week. I have been at my calorie goals and added in more exercise this week. I have a HORRIBLE cold though with swelled sinuses and throat. Could that make a difference? I'm feeling very discouraged. :frown:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've gone up as much as 8 pounds overnight. It's temporary.
  • arl29
    arl29 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks Lorina. That makes me feel a bit better (just a bit, haha).
  • sandiburn
    sandiburn Posts: 149
    Options
    been there done that. I have put away my scale because of the rollr coaster ride.
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I had a 2 and haf lb gain this morning... Water weight for sure! No worries, drink up, it will come down. Mine always does.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I get this after a Chinese meal, always 3lbs up the next day. Don't worry, it comes off almost as quickly if you get back on track. It's not real weight, it's water retention from all the salt. Give it a couple of days and it should be gone :)
    Thanks for saying this! I had Chinese yesterday and I went up. I only ate half of it and it fit into my calories, AND I busted my butt at the gym. I was disheartened by the scale this morning. This comment made me feel better! :smile:
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    Yes, it's been happening to me a lot lately. I'm up 2 lbs from Monday, and I was up 2 lbs even then, so I'm really up 4 lbs from my low weight!

I know very well that I have maintained a lot more than a 500 calorie deficit between my BMR and my food intake every single day, so I haven't done anything to gain. Water retention is a probable cause. My trainer also suggested an alternative when I was telling him about it. A few weeks ago I managed to really get my metabolism going at a high rate for awhile and was burning calories like crazy and lost several pounds really fast. My trainer suggested that I may have been burning at such a high rate that my body burned some muscle as fuel since my body fat content has dropped quite a bit. Now that my metabolism has slowed down a little, the muscle is getting a chance to rebuild, and of course, muscle weighs more than fat. It also looks better than fat; my clothes are fitting better than ever and I don't look like I've gained anything, so that is helping to calm me. But I'll still be glad when I can get that scale moving in the right direction again.
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    dont stress (: that happens to me too if i have snacks at night, your body has burned the energy or digested it yet (more than likely), plus alot of it will be water weight as it was salty snacks! it will come off.
  • DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    too much sodium in all the things you listed so yes it is possible....IT'S HAPPENED TO ME :embarassed:
  • Candi8099
    Candi8099 Posts: 178 Member
    Options

Mmmmm Chinese!!! Haven't had any since starting on here, lol
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    flush out that sodium, drink up the water!! If you normally drink 8 glasses, drink a few more for the next couple of days...it will go away :)
  • ahni77
    ahni77 Posts: 75
    Options
    Make sure you're getting plenty of sleep too. I notice my weight fluctuates the most when i'm lacking the zzzzzz's. If I can just convince my toddler daughters to let mommy get 8 hours of sleep every night, I'd be golden.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    In addition to drinking additional water, try some strenuous exercise... That will help you sweat out some of this excess... Of course, make sure you stay hydrated while doing it.