Job Interview...help please?

Options

Replies

• htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    - research the company and have some facts about it ready (I've been asked "so what do you know about our company?")
    - practice those questions that HR people like to ask like "what's your greatest weakness/strength"
    - have a list of question for the company ready, they will probably ask if you have any questions, then you look like you are interested in the company/job
    - bring copies of your resume (I've gone to interviews where they asked for copies, especially if there's more than 1 interviewing me)
    - I also bring a copy of my transcript from college and a list of every job I've had (in case they make me fill out a job application on site, it happened once where I didn't have the information, so now I carry a list everywhere)
    - I always go in an interview like I am interviewing them to decide who I will work for because it helps me feel more confident during the interview

GOOD LUCK!
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I would suggest to do a little research on the company, and always be prepared to ask a question. They usually ask, Do you have any questions. You will have one. And if you know about the company, you can give answers that are geared toward them. Does that make any sense?

^^^^^ This! And gear your answers to how well you and the company match as a unit and how your skills can improve the company in it's mission. Don't just talk about how wonderful you are or how wonderful they are. Speak to the unit.
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    First impressions count in an interview, so make sure you make an effort on your appearance as most people make a decision on an interviewee in the first 30 seconds.

Dont overdo perfume or makeup however as you are going for a job and not a date and I have had the misfortune of interviewing someone who seemed to have fallen in the perfume bottle. It was not nice and I wanted them out asap. If you are unsure, then just soap is better than too much. Also polish your shoes and iron yoru clothes (seems basic but I've interviewed people who havent) as people take offence if you dont make an effort. Dont wear jeans and trainers and a sex pistol's t-shirt as you want to be taken seriously and to show them you are taking them seriously.

Make sure your palm is dry when you meet them and shake their hand firmly (not too firm!) and smile and look them in the eye. Wait to be asked to sit down. If they ask if you would like a drink. take a water as it helps to have somethign to sip when your brain freezes. It also gives them an excuse to get one if they want too. Bear in mind they are possibly nervous and they want to hire someone and get all this "interviewing" over with.

When you sit down, lean forwards when you are speaking and show that you are interested. Keep making eye contact and smiling. If you can make them smile too then that is half the battle. Mirroring their body language is effective too. Make sure your own body language doesnt make you seem defensive (keep your arms and legs uncrossed) or disinterested or aloof etc. Its worth looking a little into Body Language to know what to avoid (such as avoiding tapping your feet unconciously).

When being questioned, make sure you understand exactly what is being asked and answer that and not what you would rather they asked. If you get the opportunity to show your good points though, do so. I always carry a folder with my CV (resume) as an aide memoire (and you can look down at it and "refer" when your mind goes blank) and also I carry a list of questions I would like to ask them at the end. It looks far more professional to look at you list of questions at the end and say "thanks but it seems you've answered all the points I wanted to raise" than to sit there and say "no, I've not got anything to ask".

Make sure you research their company online if you can. Dont ask about benefits (holidays etc) or if you can have time off to look after your kids now and then and dont ask about promotion prospects. You need to get that job and not appear that you are using it as a temporary way in. I've made the mistake of being "too good" at an interview before, so make your examples aimed at the same level as the post. Dont appear desperate. Make them feel they want you as much as you want them (so be confident).

If you can, watch out for the points the interviewer is keen on and try and expand the interview on those points. The interviewer will be happy talking about the stuff they enjoy and that will leave a more favourable impression about you... and it might make them run out of time to ask the "tricky" questions.... I've used that tactic myself once to get a job in a position I had no clue about... but I DID know about somethign else that was mentioned and I talked about that and my knowledge of it as much as I could.

I've no idea what a 4gpa is, but when I interviewed people, my main criteria was "did I like the person"? Then "did I think the rest of the team would like them or would they be trouble and cause morale problems" and then I would finally see if I thought they could actually do the job. Even then, if I liked the person enough on a personal level and if they made me think that they were intelligent and could learn the job, then I would take a gamble.

So, sadly appearance and first impressions count most. I have no idea what you look like, but Gok Wan etc seem to be very good at dressing people to get the most out of their figures and features, so consider strip usage etc.

The night before an interview I'd always have an early night and I'd not have anythign to drink. If I failed to sleep, then it would be a Red Bull (or two once) just before the interview to make sure I was on my game (I dont touch caffeiene normally). Oh that reminds me... oral hygene is a must. Bad breath (or BO) are no noes.

Dont get caught lying either. The only time I got pissed interviewing someone was when I discovered they were lying. I'd have rather had the truth than the drivel the guy was spouting.

Finally, if you are consistently failing, then try hypnotism. I got it for my fiancee who was APPALLING at interviews and she aced the very next one... and I mean aced.

Hope that isnt TMI, but if you need to know more, then contact me as I've interviewed loads of people and only ever failed one so far (the one where I was too good) ... the ones with the woman who didnt like me DONT count! :D

Good luck.
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    You may be an interrupter. You maybe excited and nervous and have this annoying ability to finish others thoughts and questions for them. Try really hard not to do that. If you do it a few times ask for forgiveness and let them know that you are really excited about starting with them and that you are sorry to interrupt. This way they will know that you know you do this. It does help.

I still do it but I haven't had any angry faces made at me in a long time since I let folks know I am an interrupter.
    Good Luck.
  • NurseCarolyn2014
    Options
    All great advice :happy: This was perfect, I'm also looking for work, thanks everyone :flowerforyou:
    And OP.....good luck !!
  • newbeetler
    newbeetler Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Not read all the responses so sorry if this has been said.

A couple that I always try and do.

Try and relate to the interviewer and direct your answers to how you can make a difference.
    I always try and make then smile. My last interview was with a director who by the agencies admission never smiled. I was asked a question about my hobbies and managed to make a small joke about not having time for hobbies as I have twins.

They all laughed. But I also answered it seriously by saying that I like to travel and I like to swim with my girls.

Showed I had an interest outside of the company as well as inside the company.

A strange piece of advice I would give but has stood me in good stead in the last few interviews (I am 3 for 3 in the last 12 months).

When offered a glass of water take it.

Then if I had a question asked of me that I needed to think about. I would pick up the glass and take a sip. Kind of like you are making sure you are not getting too thirsty to talk.

But taking that sip gives you that extra 30 seconds to think about your answer without them all staring at you in silence.

Above all, Be yourself and good luck.
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Tips for when you get a brain freeze:

1. Ask them to repeat the question
    2. Ask them if you can come back to that
    3. Tell them that you've had a brain freeze and ask if you can be given a minute
    4. Look at your resume and gather your thoughts after saying "I just need a moment to think of the what I feel is a good example of..."
    5. Say "I cant think of anythign specific to that right now, but somethign similar is... " and ask if you can come back to it later.
    6. Take a drink of water and take a deep breath.
    7. Take your time. They want to know what you know and not how fast you can remember it.

Its also possible to highlight items on your resume that you want to make sure you point out and its possible to have addiditional notes on your "questions" list.

PS. Something else I've done before is taken in a folder with all my qualifications. At the end of the interview I have offered to loan it to them to prove that my resume is genuine and that they can see I know my stuff. No one has ever taken it, but at least one company did admit to hiring me based on that as I "obviously knew what I was doing".
  • alderman59
    alderman59 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ditto on doing research about the company. I have been on numerous interview panels and hired people individually. I am always impressed when the individual answers a question or asks a question that is specifically related to the company. Shows that they cared enough to check things out. Introduce yourself with a handshake, be sure to not interrupt someone when they are talking, eye contact and thank them after the interview for the opportunity.
  • newbeetler
    newbeetler Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Oh and one more.

If you feel yourself getting flustered. Tell them.

I had an interview where I had travelled 2 hours. Been delayed on the tube and was in a real tiz when I got there.

The first question they asked I actually stumbled over my words and could not speak.

I actually said, "Sorry, let me take just a moment and I will start again".

It showed that I recognised I was a little flustered, they chuckled as every one gets like that sometimes. But it also showed in a stress situation I can remove myself for a moment and put my point across in a calm and collected manner.

The guy interviewing commented on it when they offered me the job that I seemed nervous to start with but the 30 seconds of calming and starting again meant I flowed through the interview with confidence and he could see that I can calm myself and get things done correctly.

Don't get yourself in a panic just take your time.
  • butterflyliz32
    butterflyliz32 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure you actually interview them as well. I like to ask the interviewer what they like best about working for the company. It usually catches them somewhat off guard and they will answer honestly. I don't know about you, but I have been in enough companies that I hated after 6 months, and the last thing I want to do is to get in somewhere because I am desperate, and then have to start all over again, or be stuck somewhere I hate.

Understand what that business does and why you want to be a part of it.

Also, DO NOT talk crap about your last job. EVER. I don't care if they set you on fire!! Interviewers will relate what you say about your last job to how you will talk about this job. Be honest about why you are seeking new opportunities, but remain professional. Besides, with all of the networking out there, you just never know who knows who.
  • therealjanelle
    Options
    Here is another body language tip. If you are at a table or desk, fold your hands on the table so that they are visible. If you are not at a table, fold your hands on your lap. Honest, confident people do not hide their hands.

It is okay to use your hands expressively while talking in a subdued fashion but do not make wild gesticulations and do not allow your hands to fidget while you are not the one speaking.
  • susanofscottsdale
    Options
    It is a tough market. You may not be doing anything "wrong". However, there are many things that can give you a relative advantage, or disadvantage in interviews. The list is long - including your manner, greeting, eye contact, quality of answers, dress, follow up..... Does your college have a career counseling office? Get help there - push to be able to do practice interviews and then listen to the feedback.

Good luck!
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Definately make sure that you show lot's of interest in the role and the company. As an interviewer I find it a turn-off when interviews are mostly one-way. If a candicate expresses an interest in what it's like to work at the firm I see that as someone who is actively looking for the opportunity I have to offer and not just going through the motions to get another job.

This! I used to be a recruiter and I can't tell you the amount of interviews I've had where the candidate just said "yes", "no", and I'd have to pry for explanations or examples. With most questions, you can usually add a personal example to demonstrate when you performed a certain task.

I agree that you should do your research on the company that's interviewing you. And ASK QUESTIONS! BUT, Don't ask about pay, vacation entitlement or benefits at this point.

And always answer in 3's. What are your strengths? Give 3. What are your weaknesses? Give 3, and tell them how you're working to improve on them.

If you don't know an answer, don't ever bull**it your interviewer! Say that you do not know. There's no shame in not knowing something. If they explain it, engage in the explanation by asking them questions to understand. Be interested and candid. And then thank them for it. It shows that you're open to learning and appreciative of knowledge recieved.

And above all else, just be yourself :) The interviewers know that you'll be nervous - most candidates are :) The definitly should take that into consideration when debriefing after your interview.

Let us know how it went!
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    The company I work for also uses the STAR method. Situation/Task, Action, Result.
    Make a list of significant projects/processes you've done whether the result/outcome was positive or not. For each situation think about what you had to do, how you did it, what you did, and the outcome of your actions. Take the list with you and refer to it if you get brain freeze. It's ok to say you'd like to refer to your notes. Interviewers may be looking to determine how you handle a less than expected result and what you learned and how you would do it differently, so don't be afraid of giving examples those types of projects or tasks but be sure to have a "what I learned" included in the result.

I always pop a mint in my mouth on the way to the interview, I can't tell you how turned off I am when I am interviewed or have to interview someone with awful breath. I just want it to be over and all I can think is; I don't want to be working closely with this person on a day to day basis.
    Good luck.
  • angbieb
    angbieb Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    You are all helping me out sooo much..thank you!! Another hard question...Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Also, what are the best questions to ask them? Thanks again!:heart:
  • angbieb
    angbieb Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! Your advice is going to help out sooo much!! I will let you know how it goes!!:heart:

If anyone has some commonly asked questions at interviews would you please post them? I'd like to make some notes and see if I can answer them well. :smile:
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! Your advice is going to help out sooo much!! I will let you know how it goes!!:heart:

If anyone has some commonly asked questions at interviews would you please post them? I'd like to make some notes and see if I can answer them well. :smile:

It's hard to say, but here's some general ones:

What are your strengths and weaknesses?
    What are your future goals?
    Tell me about your last employer? (remember, no last employer bashing...)
    What makes you a fit for this position?
    What do you know about our company?
    What do you think this position entails?
    Do you have any questions for us? Ask questions about the company, like more details about daily operations. Ask about acceptable work attire. Daily schedules (when to arrive, lunch, break, leave). Ask if there's opportunity for overtime work. Umm and really anything else that comes to mind... just dont ask about pay, vacation entitlement and benefits at this stage...
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Well, seems like you tons of replies and I didn't read them to see if we have the same suggestions, but here is what I would suggest...

1. Eye contact is crucial. People who don't make/keep eye contact come across as either shady or uncertain.
    2. If it's a group interview, make sure you try to address everyone in the room at some point.
    3. Have extra resumes with you just in case.
    4. Find ways to equate your real-life experience to situations they present.
    5. Smile and RELAX! The more stressed, the worse the interview.

Good luck!

AFTER the interview, make sure to thank them, ASK for the job (you'd be shocked at how few people do this), follow up with a nice e-mail or follow-up letter thanking them for their time, and addressing anything you felt wasn't mentioned in the interview, or perhaps needs further clarification. This is your opportunity to sell yourself without interruption!!!
  • sarafit926
    sarafit926 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Please wear a professional outfit. I'm a hiring manager and sometimes people come in for interviews wearing jeans and sneakers...ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I send people home if they aren't dressed up, even if they came from 8 hours away.

That's my best advice. Everything else will come naturally if you're confident and know a lot about the company.
  • cbu23
    cbu23 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Even though you are super eager to get the job don't come off that way. When I was looking for a job I met with a recruiter that said she happy to know I was so eager, but I needed to tone it down for the interview. If you are overly excited you could come off as desperate for a job. I had never thought of it like that?

Also, I know when they ask questions such as "tell me about a time when" it's really easy to get a lost feeling. You should already have a number of these stories in your head. Try to have one story for 3 or so different scenario questions. Don't feel like any of your past experience isn't good enough. My first office job I used a lot of restaurant example because that's all I had experience. Most interviewers don't care, customer service experience is experience no matter where it comes from. (works for more that just customer service, just my example).

Good luck on your interview!