Any women trying to put on muscle??

Options
It seems a lot of people on here are trying to mainly lose weight.. but are there any women who are really trying to gain muscle size?? Just curious because I am finally switching over from a strength to a body building program today. I'm really excited about it.

Just wondering how much you're eating and what kind of programs you're doing for size. :)

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight AND gain muscle. LOL. I work with a personal trainer 2 days/week to do strength training and they have me doing heavy weights. I then do cardio on my own 3 days/ week. My trainer has me "trying" to get at least 100 grams of protein a day, though I struggle with that.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I hear protein shakes do wonders as long as you do hard core workouts. I've also heard fish oils are good for you.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Im trying to maintain my weight atm although if i put on a few pounds that would be helpful! :)

i go to the gym 3 times a week and have been doing weights:- a comination of free weights, squats, sit-ups and some weight machines too. usually 2 reps on a moderate weight resistance.

I eat 1200 kcals a day on average but i have put on 4lbs since january this year since i started tracking with MFP :) [which i was aiming to do]

i suggest meeting your calorie intake as indicated by MFP and doing a good mix of weights and cardio. i dont know of any good weight training programmes but i hope you find some! x
  • brookeaghajani
    brookeaghajani Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of muscle from past "lives" so I am trying to lean out while maintaining my muscle mass. It's particularly important to build/maintain muscle load as that is where your increase in metabolism will come from. Fat doesn't use any energy- muscles need it so burn calories. Increase protein and weight bearing exercise (and you don't need meat for increased protein consumption BTW) so I am certainly NOT recommending that you increase your animal-base food consumption....
  • snuggllepuff
    Options
    lol I have NO PROBLEM getting protein. I've been getting about 130 grams a day. I've been noticing a difference in my muscles by going way over what MFP tells me to eat. I try to just make sure I'm keeping it at 40% carbs, 40% protein, and 20% fat. I've been looking a lot leaner too. So I'm going to keep eating like it's going out of style haha.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    *raises hand* I am!

I am eating 2500 calories a day. Look up the THT4 program. Anyone can feel free to add me :)
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I hear protein shakes do wonders as long as you do hard core workouts. I've also heard fish oils are good for you.
    I find that to be true. I do both.
    I was out in a strappy blouse with some people. This guy was staring at my arm & in mid sentence of another…, commented on my developed arms. (They aren’t guy muscles, just very tone.) Running & P90X, baby!:wink:
  • snuggllepuff
    Options
    I've been specifically training for strength for the past 4 months because I was doing some power lifting meets. But now that I feel okay with all my 1RM and feel that I've made some pretty good progress with strength, I'm going to do this.. starting today!

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/nonlinear_periodization_for_size_and_strength
  • kassied09
    kassied09 Posts: 397
    Options
    I am (while trying to lose weight). Important things that have helped me:

Switch off cardio and strength training days. It takes the body at least one day to repair those muscles when you lift weights, so give it time.
    Eat ASAP after workouts - strength training days especially.
    Eat your eggs!
    Stay away from protein shakes/bars/powders for the most part. A lot of it tends to be jam packed with sugars and other crap you don't really need. Eggs, chicken, nuts, oatmeal are all great for protein.

Goodluck and don't push yourself too much...You will regret it tomorrow! haha.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm working on gaining muscle while not adding fat. Only a few weeks into my plan but I like what I see so far.
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I am! I eat about 2500 calories per day and do crossfit. but basic barbell strength workouts will do WONDERS for you. check out stronglifts or new rules of lifting for women. :) don't be afraid to eat healthy fats; they'll keep you satisfied. and yes, be sure to eat a mix of carbs & protein ASAP after a workout! good luck!
  • TDRA1368
    TDRA1368 Posts: 2
    Options
    The best way in the world to gain muscle is to find a Body Pump class in your area and go 2-3 times a week! It is a fantastic, well rounded program that hits all the major muscle groups and never gets old because if you have a great instructor she will change it up each week. The music is great the group atmosphere makes it fun and they miss you when you are not there, so it keeps you coming back.
  • Annafly3
    Annafly3 Posts: 63
    Options
    bump
  • snuggllepuff
    Options
    I've been lifting pretty heavy for my size. I'm 112 lbs and my 1RM are:

Deadlift: 200
    Bench: 100
    Squat: 170
    Press: 80 :(

Most of my workouts in the past were based on ONLY those main lifts at about 75 percent of my 1RM for as many reps as I could get.

I'm going to still do some big lifts of course, but now I"m going to do more body builder specific type stuff like bicep curls and pull-ups. which I wasn't really doing before. I'm pretty muscular and "ripped" now. I just want to get bigger. I feel like a scrawny child. haha.
  • abigailm83
    abigailm83 Posts: 110
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight and gain muscle also. I currently lift 3x week but starting next week I'm bumping it up to lifting 5x week.
  • sangelic
    sangelic Posts: 207
    Options
    The best way in the world to gain muscle is to find a Body Pump class in your area and go 2-3 times a week! It is a fantastic, well rounded program that hits all the major muscle groups and never gets old because if you have a great instructor she will change it up each week. The music is great the group atmosphere makes it fun and they miss you when you are not there, so it keeps you coming back.

LOVE body pump! I was mostly just doing machine weights before I took this class and the difference is amazing.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Still need to lose a few pounds, but i'm also working on gaining muscle. I've put on about 8 pounds in the last year (DEXA scan used to evaluate gains), while losing about 55 pounds of fat.

I work with a trainer, and he changes up what i'm doing every six weeks or so. He's had me scale back on cardio to keep from burning the muscle we're building. I do heavy lifting about 8 hours per week, 1 hour of body weight exercises, and about 5 hours of mixed cardio.

Lots of lean protein and protein shakes, keep the carbs down, but not too low. Moderate fat intake (good fats). The last month of my diary is not a good indicator, as i had surgery a month ago and have been on restricted exercise, plus my husband was home from overseas and we indulged a bit. However, he left yesterday, so i am back to my more austere diet, and i hope to be back in the gym for more than cardio in another 2 weeks.

Good luck!
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options

Ah yes! I subscribe to Nerd Fitness and read her story. She's awesome!

As for me, I average 100g protein... some days more, some less. Yep, protein powder plays a huge role in hitting those numbers. I work with dumb bells (no access to barbells) along with body-weight exercises (some HIIT too) and am seeing a tremendous increase in my strength and muscle mass.