Heavy lifting for dummies - basic instruction??

Options
kopmom
kopmom Posts: 491 Member
I am thinking about trying some heavy lifting. I am looking for something (website, instruction sheet, youtube video) that gives the most basic moves/lifts and how to do them?

Also I am a 5'4 Female at goal weight of 120, what would be a good range of weights (lbs) to expect to start with?

I did take a look at the Stronglift 5x5 program which seemed pretty basic but I am not really sure how to do alot of what is listed. I am looking for a short time, basic move program to tone more so am open to any suggestions

Thanks

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength by mark rippetoe has extensive instructions. Even after reading online/watching videos, I still learned a lot.

I would suggest you start with an empty olympic barbell.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Another option is New Rules of Kifting for Women.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women

Worth the $12 or so for the book. Very good program.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women

Worth the $12 or so for the book. Very good program.
    This
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    NROL is great. If you want videos I can't recommend bodybuilding.com's videos enough. they are detailed and give great instruction.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    On the main page of the Strong Lifts website where it lists the routines, each of the moves are clickable. Click them and it'll take you to a page describing each move, and there are videos. Also, youtube is great.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    NROL is great. If you want videos I can't recommend bodybuilding.com's videos enough. they are detailed and give great instruction.

This also!
  • BuckeyeBoi
    BuckeyeBoi Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about trying some heavy lifting. I am looking for something (website, instruction sheet, youtube video) that gives the most basic moves/lifts and how to do them?

Also I am a 5'4 Female at goal weight of 120, what would be a good range of weights (lbs) to expect to start with?

I did take a look at the Stronglift 5x5 program which seemed pretty basic but I am not really sure how to do alot of what is listed. I am looking for a short time, basic move program to tone more so am open to any suggestions

Thanks

feel free to pick my brain,,,,,
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Bumping this so it stays on my threads - had exactly the same question as OP (thanks for asking it!)
  • skbruewer
    skbruewer Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I love New Rules of Lifting for Women. It not only gives you detailed instructions and diagrams, but also shows you what kind of diet to eat, with recipes. My favorite part of the book though, is the first half, where they explain WHY you need to eat more and HOW/WHY you should train.
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    what everyone else said. also, check out catalystathletics.com/exercises for videos of almost every lift imaginable. :)
  • alyssaanagram
    Options
    Bump!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I love New Rules of Lifting for Women. It not only gives you detailed instructions and diagrams, but also shows you what kind of diet to eat, with recipes. My favorite part of the book though, is the first half, where they explain WHY you need to eat more and HOW/WHY you should train.

This!
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Another vote for NROL4W.
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    NROLFW is great. I just started the program Monday. Your local library might have it if you want to preview it before you buy.

Otherwise here is a link to a program:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    One more vote for New Rules!
  • munsterisque
    Options
    Hardgainer has disappeared from the shelves over the past decade, but it is the Bible on no-BS, Heavy Lifting.

Aimed at a male-audience, so possibly a turn off for females, but still the best explanation on lifting heavy and putting on Muscle.

http://www.hardgainer.com/
  • Six6xiS
    Six6xiS Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength by mark rippetoe has extensive instructions. Even after reading online/watching videos, I still learned a lot.

I would suggest you start with an empty olympic barbell.

Rippetoe Coaching the Squat:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawBY5p29fQ

Rippetoe Coaching the Deadlift:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX8jgCFXYTU&feature=relmfu

Rippetoe Coaching Weighted Press:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAXPJ3PfdyY

Those are just a few of Rippetoe's coaching vids, and there are many more in the related section.
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options

This also!

these