Blondies with garbanzo beans - YUM

Options
ChelleDJM
ChelleDJM Posts: 161
Made these yesterday - YUM for that chocolate cookie craving and the kids love them!

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/18/chocolate-chip-blondies-and-theyre-good-for-you/

Genius Blondies

(makes 15-20 squares)

1 1/2 cups chickpeas or white beans (1 can, drained and rinsed) (250g after draining)
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
heaping 1/8 tsp salt
3/4 cup brown sugar* (See note below)
1-2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup ground flax (20g) (see nutrition-info link below, for substitution ideas)
1/4 cup peanut butter (or other fat source) (see nutrition-info link below, for lower-cal options)
optional: 1/3 cup chocolate chips (Not “optional” if you’re CCK!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend all ingredients (except chips) until very smooth in a food processor (not a blender). Mix in chips, and scoop into a greased (or tinfoil-lined) 8×8 pan. Bake for 38-40 minutes. You want the blondies to look a little undercooked when you take them out, because they’ll firm up as they cool, and you don’t want them to get hard.

Click to see the blondies’ Calories and Nutrition Info.

*I also made a batch using stevia, which I thought were delicious! But my friends informed me they tasted like bars of soap. Therefore, I’ll keep making the stevia version, but just for myself… a tray of blondies all to oneself is never a bad thing! (Edit: commenters have had success with subbing some of the sugar for stevia, with xylitol, with evaporated cane juice, with banana, etc. Please feel free to try any of the ideas people have left. But don’t be upset with me if the experiments don’t work out well. I can only vouch for the results if you make the recipe as written!)

Replies

• mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • bcr1559
    bcr1559 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am going to make these and see if anyone can tell what's in them. Don't tell the fam, it will be our little secret :)
  • salzej01
    salzej01 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    She also makes a cinnamon cake/pie that is made with beans and is AMAZING! I'll try this too, thanks!
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    Bump
  • alc7181
    alc7181 Posts: 29
    Options
    Bump
  • Jen0414
    Jen0414 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    bumpt 4 later!
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bump
  • M♥NIQUE
    M♥NIQUE Posts: 12
    Options
    bump
  • avibachar
    avibachar Posts: 47
    Options
    Bump
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I've made the black bean brownies before. I wasn't crazy about them. But this sounds kind of interesting!
  • chemeispn
    chemeispn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm from New Hampshire saw your receipe I'll have to try this is my first day and thought it was cool to chat with others for support. Good Luck to you! I need more meal and snack ideas. Heres one for you. Weird combination but really delicious...Avacado cut with 1 sliced banana. Filling and delicious!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I'm back on Phase 1 of South Beach for another round, and I think I could REALLY use this to do some serious damage to some dessert cravings! Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, I just made these. Amazingly good!! Super moist, chocolatey, gooey. They are downstairs right now, calling to me. How am I going to not eat them all before my husband gets home???? Hooooowwwwww?????

I made a couple of substitutions- I used 1/8 cup of raw sugar and subed the rest of the sugar for dates. Instead of ground flax I used a combo of quick oats and almond flour. I may have added, um, a few "extra" chocolate chips. I also may have eaten a good amount of the delicious raw batter, but y'all don't need to know that.

When I put it into MFP's recipe builder, they came out to about 170 cals per serving (12 servings). Guess what I am having for breakfast tomorrow?
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    these are great. soft and chewy and chocolatey
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    OMG! These are delicious! Dare I say decadent, even? (Especially when still warm).

I made a batch yesterday, and I was sorta worried my husband wouldn't like them. I had set the pan of cooling blondies in the kitchen, and when I went back in to get one, it turned out he had already eaten two of them. They're just that good!

I only used 3 tbs peanut butter, and I substituted xylitol for the sugar and chia seeds for the flax seeds. I cut an 8X8 pan into 9 squares (nice size for a dessert). It seemed to work out fine and they ended up being 144 calories each and very satisfying.

You do need a food processor though, my poor little immersion blender just about died trying to mix the batter.