MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• aolson78
    Options
    Greetings fellow runners!
    Today was a 4 mile Monday for me! I had a fantastic and fast (at least for me) run and followed it up with a swim.
    I've been successful in my marathon training thus far and completed 14 miles solo on Sat morning. I found that running while listening to a talk show was much better than music for me, I'm not sure why, but my run was great until I came across a small pack of stray dogs. They did a little bit of chasing, but thankfully I avoided a bite - I'm going to have to change up my long running route, I really don't want to have another canine encounter!
    Keep up the great work and thanks for all the great recovery tips!
    -Amy
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Kelynn -- I wish I new the magic formula. I've been running for 1.5 years and have yet to figure it out. But I have been told (but haven't tried it yet :embarassed: ) to keep a journal for a while....noting what you eat and when and when you run and how you felt. Maybe that would shed some light! I'm still waiting for someone to say eat this at this hour -- and then I'd feel great:bigsmile:
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Kelynn -- I wish I new the magic formula. I've been running for 1.5 years and have yet to figure it out. But I have been told (but haven't tried it yet :embarassed: ) to keep a journal for a while....noting what you eat and when and when you run and how you felt. Maybe that would shed some light! I'm still waiting for someone to say eat this at this hour -- and then I'd feel great:bigsmile:

Thanks, jabdye, for the response- I guess it helps to know that I'm not alone. I'm SUCH a creature of habit. I basically eat the exact same things at the exact same times every day, so I tend to not like to stray from my routine. I guess I'm afraid that if I change it up I could feel even worse on a run, maybe?:huh: I don't know. I'm very concrete- I want that magical formula, magical timeframe, etc. but deep down I know that's not how life works. I guess I'll just keep experimenting- the journal idea is a good plan- although it's hard when there are variables that I can't control such as the weather (and sometimes the time of day that I run).

Thanks for the info :flowerforyou:
  • ldbenincasa
    Options
    Good morning! I have a question for all you runners. I am in the middle of the couch to 5k and wondering when and if I will ever NOT struggle. Do you all feel like you were born to run or did you get into it later? I hear everyone talk about how much they love to run--do you think ANYBODY could feel that way or is it some crazy running gene or something?

I did that program twice (took a winter break between times). I didn't start running until I was 31 and had never considered myself a distance runner. In fact, in junior high my track coach punished my for skipping practice by making me run the 800 (1/2 mile) in the following meet. (My events were the 100 and the 400; I thought I was going to die running the 800!!) Anyway, I struggled big time with the C25K program...but I loved the feeling of accomplishment. I am currently training for my first half marathon and I still don't love running. I do, however, love the way it makes me feel! I love that I control it. I love the way it makes me look. And I love that it is something that I accomplish completely on my own. When I get to opportunity to run with friends, it is so much easier and more fun. Good luck and keep up the hard work! You are definitely not the only runner without the "running gene."
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I have a question for all you runners. I am in the middle of the couch to 5k and wondering when and if I will ever NOT struggle. Do you all feel like you were born to run or did you get into it later? I hear everyone talk about how much they love to run--do you think ANYBODY could feel that way or is it some crazy running gene or something?

I didn't start running until this past March, and I was 28. Started the Couch to 5k and never looked back. Definitely struggled sometimes, but I just did it to the best of my ability. I do really enjoy running, but I'm not sure I would do as much of it without the benefits...I love the way it makes me feel afterwards, how it helps me to look, and the rush of accomplishment I get after pushing through a long or hard run.

Maybe you won't love actually doing it, but the benefits sure are hard not to love.
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Shuntae--reading your post just makes me so proud of you and all of us that are C25K graduates and how our conversations how evolved from "how are we going to really run 5 minutes straight?" to "what race are we going to run next?"

I have had several "little" moments lately where I have gotten to realize how much has happen since Ive started. I passed the loop that I took my first steps at as a runner. I can now run that 20 times in a row without stopping. I remember thinking "ok I can only get around this loop" LOL

Then on Sunday I ran 8 miles on the same route that I could only run 3 miles 3 months ago.

Keep at it and you will be where we are now!!
  • lindsay1982
    lindsay1982 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I need to know when I can start running. :huh: I am very heavy and am scared to death that I'll "run" out of air and collapse miles from home. :cry: Any suggestions???? :huh:
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone else enjoys watching runners born every day on here. It takes time to crawl before you are running, but it's amazing to see em when they take off. Great job all you C25k folks. Ya know, everyone ran a 1st mile sometime.

Diet and running is a very personal matter. After 15 years of this you just know what works and doesn't. Something I studied a long time ago was to learn foods and their glycemic index (I think that's still what they call it). It's the rate food converts to blood sugar, and hence energy for whatever you are doing. A banana has a super high value and converts to energy in a little over an hour. So, it's about the only solid I'll eat before a run. It takes alot of trial and error to know what doesn't give you problems and also give you energy. The other think I have learned, that less is certainly more when it comes to energy and not feeling like a brick.

If you are not getting enough water (yes, just water) it can really make you feel sluggish too.

Something all runners come to know, you simply have good and bad days. Try to enjoy the good days all you can, and know your bad days eventually lead to good one's. Just keep going forward.

Great job all, I better shut up now.

Raymond
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    I need to know when I can start running. :huh: I am very heavy and am scared to death that I'll "run" out of air and collapse miles from home. :cry: Any suggestions???? :huh:

I absolutely recommend the Couch to 5K program. You can find it online at:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Depending on your fitness level, you may need to tweak it a little or repeat weeks, etc. Or, you could even start your own walk/run program to fit where you are right now. I can tell you that I've gotten better weight loss/toning results from running than any other cardio activity.

Good luck...and welcome to the group! We have a wonderful, supportive and very knowledgeable group here. You'll love it!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    5 mile run for me today. Group of 4 of us ladies running at 5AM... love it! :bigsmile:
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Good morning -- Happy Tuesday to you all!

I got in 6.5 easy miles this morning. I just don't understand why lack of sleep sometimes equals a great run. I was up most of the night weeping about family issues -- and got very little sleep. However, I had a great run this morning. I think that running is so therapuetic for me that I was so antsy to go that I was just pumped up on adrenaline. Who knows -- who cares :bigsmile: -- it was a great run -- I'll take it!!!

Hope you all enjoy your day.
  • lindsay1982
    lindsay1982 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! I will check out that site tonight. I like to think that my fitness level is moderate. I walk 4 days a week, about 1.25-1.5 miles. And, I do love the support here!!
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Just a quick (relatively speaking) 3 miles in 30 minutes this morning.

Julie ~ (((hugs))) :flowerforyou: Hang in there!

Happy Tuesday everyone!

Becky
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Good morning:flowerforyou:

5 miles at an easy pace for me this morning. I am looking forward to this "light" week of my "very hard" training program. I can tell I am sooo much stronger from training hard. I was scheduled for 5 miles @ an easy pace of 10:30 today. In 88% percent humidity, I did 5 miles @ an easy pace of 10:05. I felt strong.:drinker:

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Check out some of Jeff Galloway's programs (sorry, don't have a link), where you start with mostly walking with little intervals of running in between, and you increase the amount of running as you get more fit. That way, you'll have lots of recovery intervals to get your breath back. Of course, if you are really worried, just start with walks and add the running in later when you feel better about it. You can always map out a short course, like going around the block 10 times. Less interesting, but if you start to struggle, you're never too far from home. Or hop on a treadmill - yo'll never get stranded that way.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Ran by myself during my son's cross country workout again today. Got in 10 K in just under an hour, so not a bad work-out. Running in a new park, so I had some exploring to do. Always good to get a change of scenery. (And knowing that the team may come up and lap me at any time is good motivation not to dog it too much.:laugh: )
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    5 miles at race pace for me this morning. My 10 mile race is Saturday and the way I was trained was you try and do half the distance at race pace the Tuesday before your run. Now I remember why? Just like race days for me I went out too fast at the start and was hurting around the halfway point. Now at least I know where to set the alarms on my Garmin for the race.

Yes - I am quite a sight to see in an ice bath - usually I'm bundled up on top to help with the shivering and yes I always follow it with a nice warm shower. As far as eating before long runs - I try to eat 2 hours out but in the summer when I need to get out early to beat the heat it is usually closer to an hour and I have a whole wheat english muffin with peanut butter and banana.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options

Don't over do it first off. Second, choose a route in your neighborhood and don't stray far from home. I started on the treadmill first and when I go outside I give myself a time limit, 15 minutes out and 15 minutes back home and I slowly increase the time, as your speed grows that 30 minutes can be all sorts of distances.

Also, I would recommend using a program like couch to 5k so you can build up to a full run. you can just google couch to 5k to get the program, you do not have to buy the book all you need is online. Using a training tool like couch to 5k will guide you through pacing yourself and increasing your endurance and hopefully avoid injury.

:drinker:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Ok, so a hard 2 for me today, my body didn't want to cooperate with my mind today but I got it done and feel great as usual! Hopefully tomorrow my legs will listen :laugh:
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Oh my gosh! I haven't been on here in a long time!!! I missed you guys!

I have been super busy....the college is a buzz with all the activity and the new students. I've been working 10-15 hour days lately just to keep my head out of water. This time of year is always crazy for us when the fall semester starts. Tomorrow I start teaching at the prison again, so that will take away some of my free time (what little I get lol).

I've been doing great on my running. I average 4 miles on my normal days, and 7 miles on my long runs. I am now to the point where I am wondering where to go next on my runs so I've been scoping out the area a lot lately.

Hopefully I'll be able to log into here more often but probably not until the school semester dies down a little. I'm teaching two classes plus my normal I.T job.

Anyways, take care all and I miss you guys!

Happy Running

Liza