Pet Insurance

Options
apatrick106
apatrick106 Posts: 68 Member
Does anyone have pet insurance for their dog? Do you think it is worth it? Which company do you use?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• Redapplecandie
    Redapplecandie Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't have it for my cats, but it is offered through my work via MetLife.

I have an account with the Vet's office, where it takes a set amount of money out of your check per month (we have it set at $5 per check) and puts it into a secure "pet" account that you can use for anything at the vet office.

We use it for shots every year. Its also nice to know you have something in case of emergency.

You should ask your vet if they have that option
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I have one through Healthy Paws, http://www.healthypawspetinsurance.com/

I think its worth it, I have a French Bulldog, and they are know to have hip problems, so even though she is perfectly healthy right now, I would hate for something to happen, and for me to have to make a rough decision because of money......I want to make sure she lives a happy and pain free life, so this will help if I ever need it....
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I do! I have it through Sheltercare. My dog is a rescue dog, and the organization we adopted her from (who I volunteer for as well) gives you one month free of pet insurance from the time of adoption, and I opted to continue the service for about $30 a month for my little lady. It's SO worth it. While we haven't had to use it yet (thank God), I know that even the tiniest thing can wind up costing soooo much money with pets. My mom's mini dachsund had to have an impacted tooth removed and it wound up costing her almost $600!

I feel like my dog is a family member, and I have health insurance for my family, so why not for my dog? Highly recommend Sheltercare, they have 3 different plans you can choose and they're all very affordable.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I don't have it for my cats, but it is offered through my work via MetLife.

I have an account with the Vet's office, where it takes a set amount of money out of your check per month (we have it set at $5 per check) and puts it into a secure "pet" account that you can use for anything at the vet office.

We use it for shots every year. Its also nice to know you have something in case of emergency.

You should ask your vet if they have that option

Ohh that's pretty cool! Our pet insurance doesn't cover routine things like shots, those are paid out of pocket, perhaps I'll ask my vet about something like that as well.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I've got the ASPCA insurance on Mischief, but I have not been really happy with it, so we haven't put it on the new dog yet. I think we're going to switch insurers to put it on both of them. We were looking at another company, but I can't find the quote just now.
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I will tell you from working in a Vet clinic for 7+ years most vets do not except it :(
    SO I would talk to you primary vet and make sure they even take it before you invest your
    money into it. I also know that the insurance doesn't cover a whole lot of routine things, so you are still out that
    money.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I also use HealthyPaws pet insurance. I don't ever want "kids", so I treat my animals like my children. I would insure a human, so why wouldn't I insure a furbaby?! I've been in a position where I went broke paying out of pocket for my pet when he got sick (college student, couldn't even afford my own insurance at the time!), and I don't ever want that to happen again. It's definitely worth it!
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have an accident prone horse, so have made a lot of claims.

NFU and Petplan are two of the best, they paid before I even saw the bills - Thanks god! First bill for only 3 days of treatment was for £3500 would have been terrifying!

I am now with KBIS, they are meant to be very good.

Also it's worth keeping in mind with dogs and cats of certain ages you can get life long insurance covering long term illnesses that may come up - means I can get my dogs diabetic medicine on insurance. (Check though some companied make you pay a yearly excess)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    We looked into it and felt it wasn't worth it. That being said, we don't hesitate on what our dogs need. Last year, my dachshund had a ruptured disc in her spine. I didn't even ask how much it cost. I just asked how soon should we schedule it.

Oh, it was nearly $4K. We don't have tiny humans, either. Our dogs are most important to us. Money is no object when it comes to them.
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I didn't have it when my Aussie started having seizures. I spent countless thousands on his care until epilepsy finally took him away from me 4 years later. Tens of thousands, I'd guess. I really wish I had it.

On the other hand, my other dog (a shelter mutt) has never had any serious health problems and it probably would have been a waste of money on him.

Murphy's law says that if you have it, your pet will never get sick and if you don't, your pet will get very very sick. :(
  • apatrick106
    apatrick106 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Very helpful! I would have not thought about an account at the vet, great idea! They should all do that!!!
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I use Pet Plan for my cat. I think it's a wonderful insurance company.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    we have insurance through Banfield...and love it. The office we go to has been nothing but awesome..Our dogs even have their favorite crate to sit in when they are there.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Pet Insurance, huh? I guess we really love our pets.

Works for me until I have to start paying taxes to provide Pet Insurance to out of work watch dogs or indigent cats.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I have a credit card called CareCredit...every purchase is interest free for 6 months. It's widely accepted at vets, dentists, and plastic surgeons. I just use it for the vet. :)
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If I were to get a puppy I would definitely look into it. Our dog was adopted as a senior and though she has her share of medical needs the cost of the monthly premium is almost as much as we put out for her each year.
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Bumping for a later read.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I do. It costs about £9 a month, so it's next to nothing compared to my car insurance and I care about my dog a whole lot more.
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    As someone who has paid close to $20,000 on surgery for my last dog, I would highly recommend it.
  • TNTwedell
    TNTwedell Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    we have it for our rescue Boxer - she had a LOT of health problems when we got her 2 years ago, so we wanted to make sure we didnt go broke. hahah - and yes, a few people mentioned, not all vets accept it - so you have to make sure ahead of time
    i HIGHLY recommend it - has saved us a TON