White Kidney Bean Extract

Options
I was wondering if anyone has tried this, and if so what is your opinion on this? I saw it on Dr Oz so I bought a bottle and just started taking one before each meal. Anyone have any success or side effects?

Replies

• christ4life63
    christ4life63 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    HI,,, What exactly is that? I love watching Dr OZ, i guess I missed that episode.
    What is this suppose to do for you?:happy:
  • mollymarie83
    mollymarie83 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    HI,,, What exactly is that? I love watching Dr OZ, i guess I missed that episode.
    What is this suppose to do for you?:happy:

It's supposed to keep your body from storing carbs and sugars as fat. You take it 15 minutes before each meal. I can't seem to find any reviews online for it though.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    From webmd.com
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-truth-about-starch-blockers
    What the Experts Say
    Starch blockers probably do allow complex carbohydrates to pass through the small intestine largely undigested, says Christine Gerbstadt, MD, RD, an American Dietetic Association spokeswoman.

“But when they get to the large intestine, the starches ferment, give off gas, and cause bloating and diarrhea,” Gerbstadt tells WebMD.

Gerbstadt says she doesn't recommend using starch blockers because there haven't been enough tests done in people showing that the products help.

Obesity expert Louis Aronne, MD, says his patients usually don't stick with starch blockers for long.

“We just don’t see people taking stuff like this on an ongoing basis. When patients come in taking a carb blocker, they end up stopping either because of the side effects or because of lack of effectiveness, or both,” says Aronne, who directs the Comprehensive Weight Control Program at New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center.

MacKay stresses that it's important not to rely only on supplements for weight loss. As he puts it, those products "are not magic bullets," and a healthy diet and exercise are also needed for successful weight loss.

"If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is,” MacKay writes.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Out of all the weight loss magic bullets that come out every year, maybe this is the one that will pan out.
  • mollymarie83
    mollymarie83 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    For the week I've been on them I havent seen those side effects.
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I don't watch tv but I get the feeling Dr OZ is a pill hocker. Wasn't it raspberry something last week?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that it specifically blocks complex carbohydrates. Does that mean that it does nothing for non-complex carbs like sugar?
  • jerihetrick
    Options
    I take this vitamin nearly every day and it is GODS GIFT TO EARTH. I am a o blood type and follow a strict o blood type diet which means nearly no carbs (except those in fruits or veggies) so when I saw this I was like ahhh. I can now eat a piece of toast or a muffin and take that and still feel amazing. I feel as though I never ate the bread in the first place.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen any research on this but for what my opinion is worth, this sounds like a complete crock of *kitten*, which would make it very consistent with just about every weight loss supplement that Dr. Oz peddles.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I take this vitamin nearly every day and it is GODS GIFT TO EARTH. I am a o blood type and follow a strict o blood type diet which means nearly no carbs (except those in fruits or veggies) so when I saw this I was like ahhh. I can now eat a piece of toast or a muffin and take that and still feel amazing. I feel as though I never ate the bread in the first place.

There is absolutely no scientific research that supports eating for your blood type. Carbs are good for you, your brain runs on carbs and carbs supply most of your energy for exercise.

Back to the OP:

Dr Oz has becoming pretty much a running joke around here. He's paid to endorse these products, if you bought everything he recommends you'd soon be broke. Save your money to buy good, nutritious food - eat better and exercise.
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I took the NOW brand carb blocker while on vacation last month. I did not have any of those side effects but it did keep me regular.I was in Jamaica for a week and I ate loads of carbs and drank no less then 6 mixed drinks daily. On the day I left for vacation I weighed 133. When I returned home I weighed 137.6.

This was a bottle I had purchased about 8 months ago when I first started my weight loss journey. I had never taken it before, it was just sitting on a shelf with the rest of my supplements. I do not believe in majic pills but I wanted to try this since I spent my money on it. I have over half a bottle left .

Does it work?
    Not 100% sure but the way I over endulged during my vacation, I was thinking I would have gained more. I did not exercise but I did alot of walking .

I never rely solely on research. I like to read and or watch reviews by real people like myself. I've seen to many drugs been pulled off the market after a said research.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Not 100% sure but the way I over endulged during my vacation, I was thinking I would have gained more. I did not exercise but I did alot of walking .

Putting on 4.6 lbs in one week = 16,100 surplus calories or an extra 2,300 per day. Even with the over indulgence you described it sounds to me like the carb blocker did squat.
  • jerihetrick
    Options
    Well thats you opinion, the strict eating to my blood type has helped me drop 12 lbs so I choose to believe from my own "scientific experiment" that it & the white bean pills are working great.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Oh Dr. OZ, another gem!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Blocking carbohydrate absorption and weight loss: a clinical trial using Phase 2 brand proprietary fractionated white bean extract. Altern Med Rev. 2004 Mar;9(1):63-9.

"Clinical trends were identified for weight loss and a decrease in triglycerides, although statistical significance was not reached. Phase 2 shows potential promise as an adjunct therapy in the treatment of obesity and hypertriglyceridemia and further studies with larger numbers of subjects are warranted to conclusively demonstrate effectiveness."

www.alternative-therapies.com/at/web_pdfs/udani.pdf