HELP!!!

Options
Okay so it is the start of baseball...soccer and softball season in my house...and I am determined NOT to do fast food. Any suggestions? I get off work at 5 pm and the kids need to be at their fields or practice at 5:30. This gives me enough time to pick them up...we dont get home until 8:30 - 9:00 PM most nights..so not only am I eating way late but its late to cook too..Now this happens 6 days per week...

SOOO Any help would be greatly appreciated...lookin for great ideas...I can only do Subway so many times without burning out!!

Replies

• sportsmomof2
    Options
    Okay so it is the start of baseball...soccer and softball season in my house...and I am determined NOT to do fast food. Any suggestions? I get off work at 5 pm and the kids need to be at their fields or practice at 5:30. This gives me enough time to pick them up...we dont get home until 8:30 - 9:00 PM most nights..so not only am I eating way late but its late to cook too..Now this happens 6 days per week...

SOOO Any help would be greatly appreciated...lookin for great ideas...I can only do Subway so many times without burning out!!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Subway for fast food.
    Make the food ahead of time. Pack it in a cooler and away you go. Salads; wraps; pasta with a vinaigrette and tomatoes, avo, onions-great cold.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    yep, that's what we do. My wife and I go shopping once a week, come home and make 10 little baggies of veggies, 10 little baggies of cheese, We buy a couple of roasted chickens at the store and split them up into servings in those glad, throw away tupperware containers. we also make a big pot of chilli on the weekend and freeze it in individual servings. I think I only cook 1 or 2 nights a week now, and that is because we like to cook when we can. If you spend 2 hours or so on the weekend preparing, you can have enough food for a whole week without having to resort to the fast food stuff. Also, if you really have to stop and eat somewhere, try for subway or d'angelo's. They have healthy menu's. Or a local sub shop that has wraps, a turkey wrap with american cheese, lettuce, onion, pickles and mustard is only about 400 calories or so, and it's very nutritious. V8 is also a big staple in my life, 1 can a day can give you most of your vegetable servings for a day.
  • sherrymize
    Options
    I like to bake a whole pan of chicken breasts (seasoned well) and wrap them individually in tin foil. Some I half and wrap. Then I grab what I need for the day on in the morning. Even if I can't warm them up they are great cold. Also, I keep a case of protein shakes (myoplex lite are good) handy and grab what I'll need for the day. You can always pick up a salad from a drive through to go with the chicken (cut them in strips if you want).
    I leave early in the morning for school on most days and do not get home till dinner or later. I make sure to have something before I leave the house (oatmeal, egg whites fried in pam) and put the other things in a small, soft lunch bag with an ice stick.
    Works for me.
    Good Luck!
  • julierose
    julierose Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this, but Taco Bell has great selections on their Fresco menu. you can't do it every day, I understand, but occasionally, it wouldn't be so bad.
    I'm still thinking, but this is all I've come up with so far. I think it's great you're really trying to think ahead. I think this would be my excuse to just give up. Good for you! I wish I could be as motivated!
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    Something I've done for those busy days is doing some Crock Pot cooking. You put everything in there in the morning before work and let it simmer all day, so when you get home..there it is!
  • sweetnsassyfied
    sweetnsassyfied Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am assuming you have a cooler. If not run don't walk to your nearest garage sale and pick one up! :laugh: I bought mine for .50 cents. Han-dandiest thing ever for busy road trip Mom's. :wink:

Our days on the road started at 6:30 am with school runs, then me to work. After work I would pick up the children from school (3:30), hit the library for homework, where they would also change into their sports gear, eat ( not in the library of course... LOL. Nice days we would picnic it or eat in the van. ) and get to the fields by 5:30 as well. We would never get home before 8:30 or 9 pm either.

My mornings began, drink coffee, wake the children, pack the cooler. :smile:

Depending on the day and what we felt like eating... I would pack yogurts, go-gurts, cheese sticks, grapes, strawberry's, tangerines, baby carrots, celery, grape tomato's, lunch meats, tyson chicken strips, tuna, crackers, tortilla's for wraps or bread. The list is endless really. Soups travel well in thermos's. My trick for keeping everything cold till its time to eat... I buy juice boxes and gator aides and freeze them. They become your refrigeration system! I also kept two grocery bags one with paper plates, napkins, and silverware. The other for garbage.

I forgot to ad go-gurts freeze well too! :bigsmile:
  • sportsmomof2
    Options
    Thank you so much for everyone replys..Ive been working to hard to let our busy schedule ruin my diet...Last summer I gained 15 lbs just on fast food...This year..the other direction!!

Thank you again...and if I come up with great ideas I will share them as well!!

Good luck to all of you!

:glasses: