Cardio your main form of exercise? read.

Options
is cardio your MAIN form of exercise? what cardio do you do that has helped you lose weight/body fat?

Replies

• Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    If Turbofire and Insanity is classified as cardio, then those two ;)
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Cycling, running and swimming for me. I just change up the workout like run up hills, long bike rides, sprints. I do weights also but only 2 days a week currently.
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical machines all the time. I jog once in a while, but I get shin splints if I jog too much. I also use some weights, as well, but mostly the elliptical.

Sean
  • bearxfoo
    bearxfoo Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    So far I've been doing A LOT of biking. Yesterday I biked for two hours! It's awesome and I love it. On days that my thighs and booty need a rest, I do just jogging on the treadmill, or walking. I also use the elliptical but that doesn't really give my thighs a rest... lol

I do weight train though, but really only two days a week. I do some form of cardio every day.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,416 Member
    Options
    Spin 3 times a week and the ride profiles always change.
    Zumba once a week.
    HIIT one day a week.

I do lift weights but not gonna start with the heavy stuff (I don't want to hear it everybody!) after I lose another 4 lbs. (not psychologically ready to see the number go up so back off!)
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I mostly do cardio workout games on the kinect (Your Shape) and use my stationary bike :)
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I try for non-workout exercise - I have a mental block about "working out". Going for a multi-hour bike ride? No problem. Hiking? No problem? Cardio machines? Bleah.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Cardio is not my main form of ecercise, I like to make it equal between strength and cardio. For Cardio though I run and use the eliptical. I just invested in Insanity so I will be able to add that!!
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I was walking about 2 miles on the treadmill and doing another 2 on the elliptical, about 4 times a week. Now I don't do either one. The gym I belong to is actually our community rec center, and they have a roller skating rink (ice skating in winter). So, now I do 3 days of strength training and at least 3 days of roller skating. The elliptical and treadmill get soooooo boring, but the roller skating is a blast! I go during the day when the kids are all in school so I always have the whole place to myself. I turn on my mp3 player, stick in my earbuds and skate for hours! :-) And of course there are a couple days of the week when my husband and our 9 year old daughter join me for some skating. So much fun!
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Started out just walking because it was all I could really DO. I've picked up elliptical and have lots of active games for Wii and XBox that are fantastic, and the pounds seem to be coming off.
  • breakbad
    breakbad Posts: 13
    Options
    Running, walking, and weight lifting!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is my main, but not only, form of exercise. Running burns the most fat for me. I also really love doing Zumba and love what it does for my core. It burns a lot of calories too, but not as much as running.
  • margaretmillen
    Options
    I do cardio at least 5 times week wither zumba, walking, kickboxing, etc. but I also do strength training at least 3 times weak. The more muscle you have the more caloires you burn doing normal things in the day with is great. To burn fat cardio is a must
  • artaddict
    Options
    Cardio is my main form of exercise because it's all I have time for. However, anyone that can manage some weight workouts in addition to their cardio really should do so. It raises your metabolism and helps you burn fat faster. It does all the things that those diet pills say they do but in a natural way that also tones you up.
  • Majikk27
    Majikk27 Posts: 13
    Options
    I just recently joined this site.

Currently I do Zumba three times a week with my daughter, Body flow (which is pilates, thai'chi, and yoga combined) once a week, and the a new dance class called Sh'Bam once a week.

I am currently contemplating adding strength training 3 times a week as well.

I also work a full time job as a receptionist and walk my burmese mountain dog twice a week.
  • rsmugala
    rsmugala Posts: 35
    Options
    Ellyptical, jogging and walking, biking and Just Dance 3!
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am one of those crazy stupid people that does too much cardio ;) ... I get comments made a lot about how much I need to crosstrain ... yada yada yada ... I found the one thing I like doing ... running ... and if that's what I like to do, then it's better than being on the couch! :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Cardio does not help you lose body fat. Cardio increases your caloric burn, but depending on diet and overall caloric deficit may not burn any fat at all.

The best method of losing body fat without losing lean muscle, is to have a modest caloric deficit (10-20% of TDEE depending on BF%). This deficit can be created by diet alone or a combination of diet and exercise. The kicker when it comes to losing fat and not muscle is strength training. If you don't do heavy strength training your body will shed lean muscle as it loses fat, and on top of strength training you need to eat enough protein as that will also help retain lean muscle while in a caloric deficit.

I only do cardio once or twice a week and have been consistently lowering my BF%.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is where it's at.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Any kind of exercise, but in circuit training mode.