I may be allergic to...

Options
Wheat and Soy. Soy alomost for sure but I am not positive on the wheat. I am eliminating them from my diet to see how I feel. It is not easy. Any tips on how to be Soy and Wheat free. Especially for a pasta addict? This has been very hard and it has only been three days! Help? I am open to advice, recipes, food suggestions anything.

Replies

• TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    There is brown rice pasta. It's a little more expensive but worth it.
  • Miriam74
    Miriam74 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Quinoa pasta is really good. Plus you get the benefits of the whole grain. :) I found some at my local Super Target and at the health food store.
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Buckwheat pasta is delicious, remember to rinse it under the hot tap once cooked or it sticks together in a blob!!
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Back in December my mom was diagnosed with Celiac's Disease (autoimmune response to wheat and dairy, basically the same as an allergic response) and a couple friends who are gluten intolerant / allergic.

I got my mom a copy of The Gluten Free Girl book and one of that author's cookbooks. There is also a website. There are plenty of other books and websites out there, I just happened to read that book when helping a friend of mine adapt to eating gluten free when she developed a very strong gluten allergy.

There are an increasing number of gluten free products for breads, cereals and pasta available in most grocery stores. rice and corn based products are the most common. Keep in mind that wheat gluten is used as filler material in a lot of processed or prepackage foods, even hiding under the "natural flavorings" or other type of catch all input on the ingredients label at times. It will take some trial and error to find the packaged foods you might have to avoid. Best thing is to go the first 3-4 weeks making sure to not eat gluten just to clear your body of it, and then see how you feel.
  • mabennett
    mabennett Posts: 53
    Options
    I am allergic to eggs, peanut butter, tomotoes, onions, GARLIC, grapes, lettuce.............all the healthy stuff. THANK GOD i'm not allergic to chocolate!
  • ahubacek
    ahubacek Posts: 135
    Options
    There are a plethora of gluten free cook books and recipe sites. I use rice and potato products (breads, flour, pasta, starch, etc.) and I know a lot of wheat-free stuff substitutes corn starches instead. If you have a local healthy-foods market they could probably point you to the wheat (or gluten-free) version of whatever you were looking for. The taste of most things doesn't change (IMO-- except for a personal dislike of certain wheat-free flours) but the texture is sometimes a little different.
  • DuckDuckDuck
    DuckDuckDuck Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yam noodles They also have almost no cals.
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    I think I am allergic to Strawberries, pineapple,and possibly Kiwi. Which is all very well, but I love them and have been having Strawberries everyday for my breakfast. I got to the point that my throat felt like it was closing over!
    My plan was to eat a high antioxidant and nutritious diet. So I guess I need to rethink. :sad: