Need help to STOP eating so much junk foods!

Options
So, I have the gym thing down--in fact, I might be too obsessed with the gym. But my bigger problem is my love for food! I LOVE to eat, but not healthy foods. I don't eat fruits or veggies (because I don't like them--seriously). I'm 21 and not overweight, so this is not a matter of life or death, but my eating habits need to change.

All I seem to be doing lately is eating candy, chips, cookies, & ice cream between classes and work. I need some help to stop eating like that! It's gotten waaaaaay out of hand.

Any helpful hints/tricks? :smile:

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Make short term and long term goals. Track your foods. You can still have your sweets, just track them and don't gorge.

Learn some self discipline.
  • Tadriendra
    Options
    I have the EXACT same problem! Only I love healthy foods and junk foods. The junk food wins because of time, price and flat out love of sugar. lol This probably isn't too great for a permanent fix but when I find myself stuck in a suger/junk food rut I usually go on about a three to four day liquid fast type thing. It gets the sugar craving out of my system. Very bleeeh though so I'll be watching this topic for any better ideas. haha
  • rachel_kiel
    Options
    jojccva71 - gorging is definitely my problem. I could definitely get better about tracking my foods though.

Tadriendra - I don't know if I could do a liquid fast! But I've heard great things about them (like getting toxins out of your body). Do they work? Are you able to work out during those times or do you feel lightheaded? I really love food though so I don't know....something's gotta give!
  • apeluso1985
    Options
    If you love to work out, maybe you could focus on eating foods that give you a better work out. When I eat egg white before a cardio session I have a lot more energy and spirit.
  • rachel_kiel
    Options
    apeluso1985 - not a bad idea at all...just need to wake up earlier in that case; which would definitely be better if my workout is better!
  • bearxfoo
    bearxfoo Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I kind of have the same problem. I love junk food (who doesn't??) but I know the adverse affects on my health, beyond just the scale.

I've tried "mixing" it up by doing things with fruit, like mixing it with yogurt which can be sweet (high in sugars generally) or making smoothies! Home made smoothies are SO awesome, VERY healthy and taste delicious, better than a shake from McDonald's!

I'm not big on veggies though. Sometimes just eating something like fruit more and more, you get kind of use to it. I actually CRAVE fruit over junk now. I think "gosh I want some strawberries" instead of "gosh I want a cupcake". Sometimes you just need to adjust.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I've found that if I completely cut out the junk (added sugars, processed foods, grains for me) for a few weeks the cravings almost disappear. It sucks at first but then the insatiable need is gone and I can treat myself occasionally without starting the cravings all over again. If I allow myslef a little "junk" everyday it spirals into cravings and over doing it all over again. Moderation is important but moderating a habit that only fuels my cravings doesn't work for me.
  • domsmoms
    domsmoms Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Others may have more helpful advice, but I think you have to just try to force yourself to try to start eating fruits & veggies. They're kind of an acquired taste, at least for me. When I was your age, I didn't really like or eat them either, I ate lots of junk food/fast food. I kept eating like that and 15 years later I weighed 75 pounds too much. That's a cautionary tale... :)

Anyway, I have gotten more adventurous food-wise over the years, and these days, I'm much, much better about eating produce, although I still have a ways to go. I try to aim for 5 servings a day, and I definitely don't always make it, but I just keep looking at my diary every day and trying to fit some in there, ideally at every meal and for snacks.

There are so many different kinds of fruits & veg out there, I suggest just trying a lot of different things, and eventually you might find some you like! Or just keep forcing them down and eventually you'll get used to them. You can no doubt lose weight just eating junk food, but you won't be very healthy, and you won't get to eat that much.

By the way, that's great that you are so good about the gym. That's the part I struggle with.
  • okerachel
    okerachel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You are heir to a species that domesticated beasts, tamed wheat and carved civilization out of the wilderness. Forget self-esteem and self-control. Have enough respect for yourself and your body to only eat what's best for you. Man up, say no to crap and eat your broccoli.

And I mean that in the nicest way possible. :bigsmile:
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    It is def a process. It took me a while to stop also. I never buy it unless its a small container because it will be gone otherwise. I have just learned how to say no since I really wanted to lose the weight. Plus, I was tired of wasting my hard work at gym for a few cookies or ice cream. I have learned to say no to people who offered it also.
  • rachel_kiel
    Options
    bearxfoo - I have tried the yogurt parfait from McDonald's, which has fruits in it (as a step to having some fruit in my diet)...I had it a couple of times and thought I could bear it, but I couldn't; it just tasted so weird to me. I could definitely eat green grapes...those are do-able. It's the other fruits I'm not so sure about, even strawberries! I think I definitely need to stop forcing myself though!!

sapalee - I think you're right. I gave up soda a few years ago and occassionally I have a sip of my brother's soda when I get him a fountain drink to make sure it's not flat and soda just tastes plain GROSS! So...maybe you're right about the junk foods. Perhaps I'll stop wanting them all together if I just give them up and (occassionally) reward myself!

domsmoms - My response to you is much like bearxfoo. I think if I just start forcing myself to eat the foods I might come to like them. My mom eats her fruits and veggies and constantly offers me to try. I had a spinach salad with a citrusy dressing at a formal dinner once (where you basically have to eat what they serve or you look rude) and it wasn't that bad; actually, it was quite good. I also had a jell-o Italian dessert with raspberries and blueberries and those were good as well! So maybe mixing the foods will help. I just need to do this for myself and not just when I feel like I have to. About the gym, I got into taking group fitness classes because I find that when I work out alone (weight training/toning kinds of things) I don't really know what exercises to do or I'm not disciplined enough to do them on my own and see changes. So, I take Body Pump, Body Combat, CX Worx, and Cycling classes at my gym. I've found them fun and I think they work!

okerachel - I had steamed at the dinner I mentioned above, actually. It wasn't too bad. And I love the advice as I see your profile picture is of you shoving a giant pizza in your mouth....and I meant that in the nicest way possible too :bigsmile:

EBFNP - I think saying "no" will definitely be hard for me but I know it is something I am capable of. I agree about the gym part, I go to the gym and burn calories that I eat away with just 1 cookie. That doesn't make any sense. I need to have more self-control and just stop!

Thank you all for the advice, you're very helpful!!! :)
  • domsmoms
    domsmoms Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I think you are on the right track with mixing fruits/veg with other stuff. I used to eat carrots only if I had ranch to dip them in, but now I just eat them raw, and guess what, they're pretty good, although it took me a while to get on board. Same goes for broccoli etc.
  • Tadriendra
    Options
    rachel_kiel: Yeah, the detox programs really do work, especially the salt water/lemon ones. You do feel a bit weak but they should only be done for a few days, three at the most I would say then you gradually start including the foods that you want to eat.

The craving thing is completely true for me! Once I've been off the junk and sugar for about three days the cravings are completely gone. Till I mess up and blow it again. lol