Exercise diary on MFP

Options
Just wondering but isn't MFP a bit over-exaggerating the calories burnt? If not, then I have another 1000 calories to consume (already eaten dinner) and there are only 3 hours left of the day! Shall I hit KFC and ask for the bucket?

Replies

• chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    MFP is only an estimate. To get actual numbers, you'll have to invest in a HRM, BodyBugg, or similar type product.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    MFP is only an estimate. To get actual numbers, you'll have to invest in a HRM, BodyBugg, or similar type product.

Thanks for the reply. It seemed to be double what my exercise bicycle stated earlier! I've decided to not record exercises on MFP.
  • FHerndon01
    Options
    I tend to use the numbers on the machine I'm on versus MFP. MFP tends to be significantly higher. I bought a fitbit and it came in today so I'm going to be testing those numbers out too.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Record the actual exercise but you can plug in your own calorie amounts. Or record them and set the calories to zero. That way, you still can track the amount of time you spent exercising.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I record only part of the time I spend -- depending on the level of the class it's somewhere from 25-50%. I figure I'm pretty safe with that.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    Thanks for the extra replies. Will have a fiddle with my records. Ahem.
  • Missi3601
    Missi3601 Posts: 264
    Options
    I always use the numbers on the machines... and any circuit training i cut completely in half- that seems to always be high
  • Amy_Lee_2012
    Amy_Lee_2012 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    According to MFP, I burn between 2,000 and 3,000 calories a day from my exercise- I know that's not accurate!
    But, I always log my daily exercise just as I log my daily calorie intake.
    I am hoping to get a HRM soon, so I may have a better idea of the actual calories I am burning :)
  • Missi3601
    Missi3601 Posts: 264
    Options
    I want to know how those work! I really was contemplating buying one

I tend to use the numbers on the machine I'm on versus MFP. MFP tends to be significantly higher. I bought a fitbit and it came in today so I'm going to be testing those numbers out too.
  • MommyBea
    MommyBea Posts: 84
    Options
    I ordered a HRM cus i wanna be more accurate with everything but as for now i use MFP Or The Machine im on!!
  • kdelost630
    kdelost630 Posts: 199
    Options

Everything in weight loss is an estimate. Even those HRMs and the nutritional information on food. Nothing is exact.
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Since I don't have a HRM I always use an external calories burned calculator (do a search online and you'll find many options) that asks for my weight, gender, age, etc and then I find the exercise and plug in the time I exercised, which gives me the calories burned. I think the MFP database entries are based on the person who first entered it. This person's stats are more than likely totally different than yours, so the calories it calculates will not be accurate for you. Good luck! Keep exercising!
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    Thanks for the further replies. Will investigate!
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I bought a hrm back in october.. it made me realize the walking calculators are pretty accurate( off by 10 calories), However some of the others horrible.... I only count 1/3-1/5 of what they say :)
  • bearxfoo
    bearxfoo Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I actually found that MFP was not too far off on calculating my calories burned biking then what my HRM did. My HRM put me at around 800 and MFP did somewhere in the 700's when I entered the same length of time (two hours!).

I donno. I read somewhere on here that the basic formula for things like walking, jogging, etc is pretty universal and wouldn't be too far off. Some other things may be. Overall, a HRM is the best investment.