Whey protein vs isolate

Options
I'm interested in trying protein powder. Any brand suggestions and what to look for (ingredients) and what to avoid (additives/ingredients)? Thanks.

Replies

• thegoya
    thegoya Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I know I've lost some weight but I didn't think I was invisible.
  • cton13
    cton13 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have started using Whey protein also.....it is awesome to help you reach your calorie goal and nutritious! I started out with the Jillian Micheal's whey protein because it is 100 cal per scoop....if you are on the run in the mornings use two scoops as a meal replacement....I have added to oatmeal...pretty good..... you don't want the bulk gainer or weight gainer ones...unless you are trying to gain weight..... this is great to have pre-workout and lovely for post workout....be sure to drink lots of water when doing the protein shakes!!! Very important..... That is all I know so far.... I'm quite sure you will get more info on this post with more "seasoned" whey protein drinkers!! It does help with lean muscle so in turn you burn more fat!! :) Check out some of the previous forums about protein drinks and bars!!! Best of luck!!!
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    " didn't think I was invisible" that was funny!!! lol..

i bought one from my naturopath and it's the rice protein in vanilla flavour.. i don't really like it.. not sure what to do with it now! i think it'll be better if i have time to blend it with milk/water and some fuits like banana. but i'm just adding cold water and shake it up and drink it in office. not a fan! i do like protein bars better! they taste good and filling but they are high in calories
  • NickPineault
    Options
    If you can afford it, look for grass-fed whey protein concentrate.

Isolates have been heated, which reduces the protein potency.

Also : stay away from cheap popular brands. Most of them are full of contaminants.

Look for the GMP (good manufacturing practices) certification/logo on the product. This will assure you that what's in the bottle is what's avertised on the label.

Nick
    Nutrition and Weight loss coach
    I'm interested in trying protein powder. Any brand suggestions and what to look for (ingredients) and what to avoid (additives/ingredients)? Thanks.
  • thegoya
    Options
    I have started using Whey protein also.....it is awesome to help you reach your calorie goal and nutritious! I started out with the Jillian Micheal's whey protein because it is 100 cal per scoop....if you are on the run in the mornings use two scoops as a meal replacement....I have added to oatmeal...pretty good..... you don't want the bulk gainer or weight gainer ones...unless you are trying to gain weight..... this is great to have pre-workout and lovely for post workout....be sure to drink lots of water when doing the protein shakes!!! Very important..... That is all I know so far.... I'm quite sure you will get more info on this post with more "seasoned" whey protein drinkers!! It does help with lean muscle so in turn you burn more fat!! :) Check out some of the previous forums about protein drinks and bars!!! Best of luck!!!

Thanks for your response. Is there a way to determine which products do what?
  • thegoya
    Options
    If you can afford it, look for grass-fed whey protein concentrate.

Isolates have been heated, which reduces the protein potency.

Also : stay away from cheap popular brands. Most of them are full of contaminants.

Look for the GMP (good manufacturing practices) certification/logo on the product. This will assure you that what's in the bottle is what's avertised on the label.

Nick
    Nutrition and Weight loss coach

Very helpful, thanks
  • thegoya
    Options
    Fellow Canadian (I can tell by the 'ou' in flavour, lol)

There is so much to choose from, it's overwhelming.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options

You live in Canada, so I'm going to save you a tonne of money right now.

You have two options:
    (1) Go to Costco and purchase LeanFit Whey. This company is GMP certified and uses a mixture of ultrafiltered and cross-flow microfiltration to make their whey. For 2kg (4.4lbs), you pay $29.99. You won't find any whey cheaper, I promise you this. I have done the math on over 50 wheys and have searched far and wide for a good quality whey. You won't find a better deal than this for a tub of whey.

(2) Go to www.canadianprotein.com. This is ALMOST as cheap as LeanFit Whey. It will be cheaper if you buy the 25lb bag but I don't think you want that much. I personally go with this option because I consume 2-4 scoops a day. This is another quality whey. Benefit of this one? It tastes astronomically better than LeanFit. This might be the option for you if you don't mind paying an extra 4-5 dollars so you can have a smoother, better tasting whey shake.

I could explain everything else to you but it'd take some time. Just know that I've spent a lot of time researching the ins and outs of whey. Don't bother with isolates unless you want almost pure protein from your shake. Isolates simply means that, per scoop, you get a minimum of 90% protein. So, in a 40g scoop, 36g of it would be protein. Concentrate is different. I believe it only has to be a maximum of 75% protein.

Ignore everything else. Seriously. I'm not even trying to be arrogant or egotistic. These are the two brands you should purchase your whey from. Anything else would be too expensive. Canadian protein is one of the best tastings wheys I have ever had. You can spend more money to get other wheys. If you do, these are the brands I recommend:
    - Gaspari Myofusion
    - ALLMAX anything (Isoflex, their isolate, is popular)
    - MusclePharm Combat Powder
    - VPX SRO (another isolate)
    - Xtreme Formulations Ultra Peptide 2.0 (expensive and bad macros but best tasting whey on earth)
  • thegoya
    Options

You live in Canada, so I'm going to save you a tonne of money right now.

You have two options:
    (1) Go to Costco and purchase LeanFit Whey. This company is GMP certified and uses a mixture of ultrafiltered and cross-flow microfiltration to make their whey. For 2kg (4.4lbs), you pay $29.99. You won't find any whey cheaper, I promise you this. I have done the math on over 50 wheys and have searched far and wide for a good quality whey. You won't find a better deal than this for a tub of whey.

(2) Go to www.canadianprotein.com. This is ALMOST as cheap as LeanFit Whey. It will be cheaper if you buy the 25lb bag but I don't think you want that much. I personally go with this option because I consume 2-4 scoops a day. This is another quality whey. Benefit of this one? It tastes astronomically better than LeanFit. This might be the option for you if you don't mind paying an extra 4-5 dollars so you can have a smoother, better tasting whey shake.

I could explain everything else to you but it'd take some time. Just know that I've spent a lot of time researching the ins and outs of whey. Don't bother with isolates unless you want almost pure protein from your shake. Isolates simply means that, per scoop, you get a minimum of 90% protein. So, in a 40g scoop, 36g of it would be protein. Concentrate is different. I believe it only has to be a maximum of 75% protein.

Ignore everything else. Seriously. I'm not even trying to be arrogant or egotistic. These are the two brands you should purchase your whey from. Anything else would be too expensive. Canadian protein is one of the best tastings wheys I have ever had. You can spend more money to get other wheys. If you do, these are the brands I recommend:
    - Gaspari Myofusion
    - ALLMAX anything (Isoflex, their isolate, is popular)
    - MusclePharm Combat Powder
    - VPX SRO (another isolate)
    - Xtreme Formulations Ultra Peptide 2.0 (expensive and bad macros but best tasting whey on earth)

I love knowledge...thanks for sharing yours :)
  • AeolianHarp
    Options

No problem. Also, Canadianprotein.com lets you order three samples for $1.99 with free shipping. If you want to try all flavours, just order two samples and order one of each flavour. My favourites are cookies and cream, chocolate peanut butter, and chocolate.
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options

No problem. Also, Canadianprotein.com lets you order three samples for $1.99 with free shipping. If you want to try all flavours, just order two samples and order one of each flavour. My favourites are cookies and cream, chocolate peanut butter, and chocolate.

Might have to place another order ;) I picked Vanilla, Cookies & Creme and Chocolate, but now I want to try them all... I picked the isolate since it was the same price as the blend for the samples. I will order more since they're also convenient to carry around on trips, at work, etc.

I never knew about Canadian Protein! Glad I know now :)
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    i use whey protein!!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options

Interesting, thanks! I'll have to look at the ingredients as sucralose is a no go and in almost every whey powder on the market.
  • AeolianHarp
    Options
    Interesting, thanks! I'll have to look at the ingredients as sucralose is a no go and in almost every whey powder on the market.

Why is sucralose a no go? Are you allergic to it or something? There is sucralose in it.