real eggs vs. egg substitute?

Options

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Egg substitute? Seriously? Like people had to eat during World War II because of the food shortages?

I don't think anyone is talking powdered eggs. egg beaters are where we're focused, I think. and they are made with real eggs.
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    Egg substitute? Seriously? Like people had to eat during World War II because of the food shortages?

I don't think anyone is talking powdered eggs. egg beaters are where we're focused, I think. and they are made with real eggs.

I haven't heard of egg beaters. Maybe it's a US thing? Very intrigued. Is it a liquid thing, or a solid?
  • vickilgreshik
    vickilgreshik Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love eggs and frequently have a scrambled egg sandwich after a vigorous workout. I usually have one whole egg and 1/4 cup of Egg Beaters or another substitute on two slices of 100% whole wheat toast (no butter or anything). I get the healthy fat from the whole egg without doing two much damage to my higher-than-it-should-be cholesterol. So it's a compromise that works for me.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Aren't egg substitutes or even egg whites generally "enhanced" with stuff?

My favorite part is the yoke. I spend $4.59 per dozen on organic ones because of the flavor...so much better. To each their own though.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    C-c-c-c-cut out my eggs? :noway: :sad: :brokenheart:

I couldn't, I luffs me eggs :heart:
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Also dietary cholesterol DOES NOT RAISE CHOLESTEROL LEVELS IN YOUR BLOOD!

Unless it does. For most people there is only a weak link. For some people (like many in my family) there is a strong link between dietary intake and blood cholesterol. This fact gets left out of a lot of reporting on the dietary studies or gets relegated to small print, but it's important.. The only way to tell if you fall into this unlucky group is trial and error and having lots of blood cholesterol tests. If you have a family history of high cholesterol, get tested before you go on a cholesterol binge and a few months later to be safe.
  • DivaDiane
    DivaDiane Posts: 73
    Options
    No reason not to eat real eggs.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    real eggs it is!!!
  • esteelewis
    esteelewis Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I personally use Egg Beaters® 100% Egg Whites all the time. its 25 calories and 75 sodium. I don't think its bad at all. I also believe the only ingredient is egg whites.
    I generally use them for cooking or when mixed with other items.
    That said if I am just wanting scrambled eggs and nothing else I will use real eggs.
    Also, if i have the calories available I will opt for real eggs over the egg beaters.
    I would say 80% of the time I eat the egg beaters egg whites though.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Also dietary cholesterol DOES NOT RAISE CHOLESTEROL LEVELS IN YOUR BLOOD!

Unless it does. For most people there is only a weak link. For some people (like many in my family) there is a strong link between dietary intake and blood cholesterol. This fact gets left out of a lot of reporting on the dietary studies or gets relegated to small print, but it's important.. The only way to tell if you fall into this unlucky group is trial and error and having lots of blood cholesterol tests. If you have a family history of high cholesterol, get tested before you go on a cholesterol binge and a few months later to be safe.

Yes, but is the level of 'High Cholesterol' deemed by the powers that be actually a reflection on your chances of heart disease.

The same powers that push the current low-fat diet food industry and drugs that reduce cholesterol.

From what I can make out there has one been one study to show a link and that is with Cholesterol at 300+.

I wouldn't be trying to cut fat in the first place, I'd be cutting wheat-based products (2 slices of wholemeal bread will raise insulin by more than a Snickers Bar). Raised Insulin = Reduced Fat Loss.

Repeated raised Insuline = Resistance = Obesity = Diabetes.

The wheat we are eating now bears little relation to that 100 even 50 years ago.

This whole 'low fat' (and therefore high carb) thing is a crock but it will take a while for people to realise it because it's been drummed into us based on Bad Science.

As an aside I've just had a 3 scrambled eggs, plenty of bacon cooked in butter for brekkie ... It was fantastic.

I am also confident I don't need to snack on anything for some considerable time, and if I do it will be with real food.

And once again I have rambled. :)
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I tried Egg Beaters and I did not like them. I did not find the taste to be worth the sodium content. They didn't even taste like they were salted to me. They were just yucky.

Try them and see if you like them. It's the only way to know for sure.
  • PunkRockDad
    Options
    Consider cutting something else besides eggs. They have one of the highest protein ratings for food.
  • tsh0ck
    Options

I haven't heard of egg beaters. Maybe it's a US thing? Very intrigued. Is it a liquid thing, or a solid?

liquid. comes in a milk carton-type container.

basically, it is 99 percent egg whites. then there is the dreaded processed items that add back in many of the vitamins and minerals lost when they take out the yolk.

I had a pair of eggs today as part of a breakfast burrito. I don't not eat eggs. but I like the taste of the egg beaters, so figure if I can save myself 100 or 150 calories a day with a light breakfast, often I will.

(see, that leaves room for a chocolate chip cookie in the evening!)
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    Egg Beaters All Natural Egg Whites are AMAZING. I don't even use real eggs anymore. They are super fluffy and yummy and, as far as I'm concerned, totally worth it. But you ought to try searching the forums because I've got a feeling this has been asked and answered in depth at least 250 jillion times.
  • lionempress
    lionempress Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Yea, agreed in my opinion real is usually better than fake... here's a mini list regarding myths and misconceptions (cholesterol) about eggs from http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/egg-nutrition ....

Oh and organic free range eggs are even better! :)
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    This thread reminded me that I hadn't had eggs for a while... so I had two for dinner. Real, fresh from the chickens, natural, wholesome, nutritious eggs. YUM.

PS - Not everyone can afford organic, but please at least make sure the eggs you eat are free range. Think of the poor chickens :(
  • mwcraig34
    mwcraig34 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    looks like I'm going back to regular eggs!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

They have eggs somewhere in the ingredient list but it's not the one and only ingredient. There's a lot of unnatural crap in them.
  • tsh0ck
    Options

They have eggs somewhere in the ingredient list but it's not the one and only ingredient. There's a lot of unnatural crap in them.

Alarmism at its finest.

Egg whites make up 99 percent of egg beaters.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Alarmism at its finest.

Egg whites make up 99 percent of egg beaters.

Really? Sure they have 99% egg whites in them but they also have "natural flavoring" which for the life of me I just can't find in the spice aisle! Maltodextrin, color, "spices" . . . sorry but a good old fashioned egg is better for you.

But that's just this alarmists opinion.