heart rate question

Options
I bought a Polar FT7 this week, and now it has me asking questions.

One of my workouts on the treadmill went for 24 minutes, I burnt 171 calories, avg heart rate was139, max heart rate was 170, I was in the fat burn area for 6 mins and fitness area for 18 mins (approx). I do a five minute rotation of 90 secs walking, 90 seconds jog, and 2 mins run, and I do this between three and six times usually, depending on how I feel. I increase the jog and run pace every third time I get on the treadmill, so it is going up usually twice a week.

My question is about the fat burn and fitness heart rate tracking (?). If I am trying to lose weight, which I am, should I not be spending more time in the fat burn area, which means I need my heart rate up much higher for longer periods of time? I would think this would be hard, but if it is what I need to do, then that is my goal.

For those runners out there who have far more knowledge about this, I would love some hints, tips, direction, advice!! Thanks.

Replies

• mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Sorry, didn't want to hijack your post ;)
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT7 this week, and now it has me asking questions.

One of my workouts on the treadmill went for 24 minutes, I burnt 171 calories, avg heart rate was139, max heart rate was 170, I was in the fat burn area for 6 mins and fitness area for 18 mins (approx). I do a five minute rotation of 90 secs walking, 90 seconds jog, and 2 mins run, and I do this between three and six times usually, depending on how I feel. I increase the jog and run pace every third time I get on the treadmill, so it is going up usually twice a week.

My question is about the fat burn and fitness heart rate tracking (?). If I am trying to lose weight, which I am, should I not be spending more time in the fat burn area, which means I need my heart rate up much higher for longer periods of time? I would think this would be hard, but if it is what I need to do, then that is my goal.

For those runners out there who have far more knowledge about this, I would love some hints, tips, direction, advice!! Thanks.

I'm a cyclist not a runner, but I have a good training program developed on polarpersonaltrainer.com.

Think in terms of your weekly schedule. The goal is to burn as many calories as possible, which correlates to the most work without overtraining. Overtraining leads to less calories burned, its self defeating.

Being in the "fat burning" range has several advantages, and you should try to do that 2x per week, for 60-90 minute sessions (60-70% of max).
    You should also be in the aerobic range 2x per week, for 45-60 minute sessions. (70-80% of max)
    And once per week go anaerobic for 30-45 minutes (80-90% of max).

Those are what your average heart rate was for the entire period.

If you want I could go into explaining the benefits of fat burning range.
  • Sugaboy
    Sugaboy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Emma the fat burning zone is mainly used for elderly or people new to excercise.To lose weight you need to be in the cardio zone..Yes it will be harder but your results will be quicker also improving your fitness level.HR training is usually based on age but what you need to remember everyone resting heart rate is different.If you google Karnoven method it will explain it.HR training is a great aid when used properly and I use mine all the time. Be wary of calories burnt on machines unless you have typed in your weight . Hope this helps.
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Light Intensity Zone

When your heart beats at 60-70% of your HRmax (HRmax %), you are in the Light Intensity Zone. Whether you have just started working out or you exercise fairly regularly, much of your workout will be in this zone. Fat is the body's main source of energy at this level of intensity; therefore this zone is also good for weight control. This intensity still feels fairly easy for most people and provides, for example, the following benefits:

Helps in weight control

Improves endurance

Improves aerobic fitness

Moderate Intensity Zone

Push on to 70-80% of your HRmax, and you are in the Moderate Intensity Zone. This is especially good for people who are exercising regularly. For most people, this is often the fastest pace they can maintain and still remain comfortable and free of pain. Exercising in this zone is particularly effective for improving aerobic (i.e. cardiovascular) fitness. If you are out of shape, your muscles will use carbohydrates for fuel when you are exercising in this zone. As you get fitter, your body starts using a higher and higher percentage of fat for fuel, thus preserving its limited stores of muscle carbohydrate. Exercising in the moderate intensity zone results in some additional benefits:

Improves aerobic fitness

Improves endurance

Helps in weight control

Accustoms your body to exercising at a faster pace

Begins to raise the speed you can maintain without building up lactic acid

Hard Intensity Zone

At 80-90% of your HRmax, you have moved into the Hard Intensity Zone. Exercise in the hard intensity zone definitely feels "hard". You will find yourself breathing heavily, having tired muscles and feeling fatigued. This intensity is recommended occasionally for fit people. Exercising in this zone is intensive, so it provides some unique benefits:

Increases muscles' tolerance to lactic acid

Improves hard, short effort ability

When you exercise in the correct intensity zones, it guarantees your enjoyment in your favorite sports. Alternate between intensity zones to improve your fitness and get variation in your exercise. Remember that the lower the intensity the longer you can comfortably exercise in it. Exercise in the higher intensity for shorter periods.

Note: Polar target heart rate intensity definition is modified from international exercise science authorities' recommendations in which light intensity can reach lower than 60% of HRmax.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'll agree you should mix it up. I'm currently doing at least one run per week where I keep my HR in the aerobic range. It sucks to go that slow (I'm walking at least as much as running) but I'm noticing that I'm doing a little more running every week. Then I have one run where I'm going at almost race pace.

From what I've read, while you might burn a higher percentage of fat in the "fat burning zone" you burn more overall calories, and therefore more TOTAL fat, by working out harder.