Alternative to coffee

Options

Replies

• supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I'll probably get jumped on but my "coffee" in the morning is a can of Diet Coke.

I see your Diet Coke and I raise you a Monster Absolute Zero!!!
  • puppy1002
    puppy1002 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I just went cold turkey with my coffee because I've tried having coffee with other stuff and couldn't do it do I just gave it up.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I suggest coffee. Black. :drinker:
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I went from double-double to half sugar, light cream. Took time, but you can adjust your taste buds over time. Gradually reduce the amount of sugar and cream you use.

The light roast from Starbucks really does need less sugar and cream to enjoy. I barely put any sugar in, and just a touch of cream. In a bold roast, I'm double on both.

As for the title of your post - there is no alternative for coffee. I'd give up real food before I gave up my coffee.
  • hsubharas
    hsubharas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use a little Stevia in my coffee for sweetener. You do not need a lot. I have cut out a lot of sugar doing that. I also like the pu-erh tea or green tea. GOOD LUCK!!!
  • tyj247
    tyj247 Posts: 18
    Options
    Haha, I wish on the more sleep! I am consistently running on 6-6.5 hours of sleep (oh the life of a full-time worker and a part-time grad student). But the other suggestions have been helpful. I did give up coffee for Lent a couple years ago and drank a lot of tea but it didn't quite have the caffeine kick I needed. I'll try some of the teas suggested though. Also, I am wary of the sweeteners, I feel like I keep getting mixed signals on if they are in fact healthier in the long run (anyone else hear about this? Is my sleep-deprived mind making this up?)
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Mix coffee with some sugar free hot cocoa mix! Then add 2 tbsp of half and half or whole milk. Creamy and tasty with limited calories.

EDIT: Just read your aversion to alternative sweeteners...I know the feeling. I personally don't add any sweetener to my coffee and definitely not splenda or those types of sweeteners. If you wouldn't want a sugar free cocoa mix try the regular kind b/c the chocolate flavor will mask the coffee bitterness so you wont necessarily need to use a whole packet.
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    So, it's either lots of cream and sugar or black? I drink a lot of decaf coffee with 1/6 cup of 1% milk and a 1/2 tsp of sugar per cup. My favorite is Cinnamon Hazelnut organic that I find at the Health Food store. They have a grinder so it's fresh. My second favorite is Butterscotch Toffee from the Kauai Coffee Company you can get online. Also the strength can vary to taste. I use 3 TBS ground coffee for a half pot (10 cup drip coffee maker). I don't enjoy it any stronger. I found that losing weight changes my sense of taste, so that super sweet doesn't taste better any more. I think elevated insulin levels make your brain think sweeter tastes better and cravings are stronger.
  • Littlerunner0514
    Littlerunner0514 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Well, first you can try getting coffee that is not bitter. I don't know if you brew at home or buy it out, but places like Starbucks have a light roast (theirs is called Blonde right now). Or try flavored coffee grounds. Anyhow, the next step...if you brew at home, add about 1 tsp of cinnamon into the filter before putting the grounds in. Adds nice flavor. By adding the cinnamon I have been able to reduce the amount of sugar I put in to 1/2 tsp. I still use 2 Tbsp. of half & half. If you really like yours almost white, use skim milk instead of cream.

That is a really smart idea..putting the cinnamon IN the filter!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I suggest coffee. Black. :drinker:

Me too (splenda or trivia)!! So I guess that we are going to be jumped by the OP.

Sorry:blushing:
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    my nutritionist started me off with a slice of ginger and the juice of half a lemon in hot water. I drink that every morning to boost my metabolism and just get things started for the day. I don't have any coffee tea or anything else caffeinated during the day. I have red raspberry leaf tea in the afternoon but I'm totally off caffeine now. I love the feeling and I'm burning fat faster than I expected.

I was a bear for the first 3 days, and then I went around apologizing to everyone for being cranky. It took a few days.. but I'm glad I did it.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I switched to espresso with whipped skim milk. I find the milk is sweet enough that I don't need sugar anymore. Plus I don't waste valuable time smooshing about trying to down a big mug of joe.
    :smile:
  • ChristySeeksBalance
    ChristySeeksBalance Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm an all or nothing kind of girl with my coffee. I want it with like 1/2 cup of half and half in it, or I don't want it at all. I've been drinking tea. It's not nearly as good, but I like it better than coffee with milk or black, and it keeps the caffeine headaches at bay.
  • thefacade
    thefacade Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk and stevia, taking my 40ish calorie coffee down to 10ish calories. I've heard that bit of lemon zest cuts the bitterness of coffee, but I haven't tried it yet.
  • kaitlynnrogers
    kaitlynnrogers Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    i have my coffee... i used splenda and non dairy creamer (10 cals a teaspoon)

really!? where can you buy it?
  • TLC1975
    TLC1975 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Well, first you can try getting coffee that is not bitter. I don't know if you brew at home or buy it out, but places like Starbucks have a light roast (theirs is called Blonde right now). Or try flavored coffee grounds. Anyhow, the next step...if you brew at home, add about 1 tsp of cinnamon into the filter before putting the grounds in. Adds nice flavor. By adding the cinnamon I have been able to reduce the amount of sugar I put in to 1/2 tsp. I still use 2 Tbsp. of half & half. If you really like yours almost white, use skim milk instead of cream.

I did this above^^^..I use to only drink coffee like you..cream and sugar...but slowly eliminated the sugar and switched to almond milk...then eventually went black, took several months to adjust my taste buds.....and tried several different roasts and flavours of coffee to find one that I could stand the taste of...BTW...the lighter the roast, the more caffeine!!! Plus cinnamon boots metabolism..

Good Luck!
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Fat free half and half or a non-dairy creamer like soy or coconut milk creamer (found at whole foods) are lower calorie alternatives to cream that you could try. You also can do stevia or splenda instead of sugar. Another thing to do is cut back the cups you are having or use less cream or sugar if slimming your coffee down doesn't work.

Personally I used to use milk in my coffee and in the past few months have acquired a taste for black coffee. Once you get used to it and buy good coffee, black coffee is enjoyable in my opinion.

Hope these suggestions help.
  • chip305
    chip305 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love coffee and I love it sweet and light, I have found a very acceptable alternative to my liquid non-dairy flavored creamer. I use 1/2 cup vanilla unsweetened almond milk (18 cal) and artificial sweetener. I have my coffee back!
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    Tazo Awake tea.. or ive seen "Morning Thunder" by celestial seasonings. Never had it but hey it may be better than coffee.
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I see that cinnamon has been suggested. A pinch of salt, no more, in the filter will also lower the perception of bitterness without adding a salty taste. You could also try cold brewing your coffee. You can search for the term to get instructions, but it makes a much less acidic, bitter coffee in the end.