sore knees

Options
My knees have been sore after running over the past few weeks. Do you think I need new sneakers (they are prob 3-4 months old) or is it just from running. I asked my doctor and she said that running is very hard on the knees. Thoughts???

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Try running on softer surfaces (gravel, limestone, etc) and see if that helps. I think you buy new sneakers after like 300 or 400 miles. Get fitted at a running store.
  • plarcade
    plarcade Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm not supposed to cycle or do stairs after knackering my knees. Thought I'd take up running... had similar pain. Apparently the surface is VERY important. I was running in the road, but probably my shoes weren't so great either.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My knees have been sore after running over the past few weeks. Do you think I need new sneakers (they are prob 3-4 months old) or is it just from running. I asked my doctor and she said that running is very hard on the knees. Thoughts???

Quite often sore knees are more symptomatic of weak hips or glutes (where is the pain ,above the knee, below the knee?) or an IT band issue. Your runners should be replaced regularly (mine last about 3 to 4 months but I'm logging around 100 miles / month). There are some great videos of exercises on runnersworld.com

Fortunately your doctor is mistaken about running being hard on knees unless you are way, way overweight or suffer from a pre-existing condition. I'm going to guess he or she is a GP, if the problem continues ask for a referral to a sports medicine clinic
  • Jump81
    Jump81 Posts: 2
    Options
    Totally agree with the pp. Runnersworld has all sorts of exercises to strengthen the muscle that in turn, cause the pain. I was able to quickly recover from runners knee and IT band issues using ice and some extra leg work. Also, new shoes couldn't hurt. I replace my often (2.5 months-300 miles).
  • Summer5555
    Summer5555 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have one knee that I have to watch. My podiatrist recommended 2 pairs of shoes best for my feet so I wear those. I run on a treadmill now as I found uneven ground played havoc with my legs, I have a slight incline. I am constantly taking note of my form, I know when I am slipping as my knee pings, it took me a while to figure out the best way for me to run. I actually found the pain getting better.
    That being said, I overdid it yesterday. I had done a new strength training program and I had a little muscle soreness, ran the next day and last night I spent what felt like the whole night in pain. Realised that some of the exercises I had done were done with bad form, should never have run. Am worried about the inevitable break I will have to take and losing the fitness I have achieved to this date, damn!
  • Tiffany781
    Options
    Thank you!
  • dynamojones
    Options
    Great post!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

Quite often sore knees are more symptomatic of weak hips or glutes (where is the pain ,above the knee, below the knee?) or an IT band issue. Your runners should be replaced regularly (mine last about 3 to 4 months but I'm logging around 100 miles / month). There are some great videos of exercises on runnersworld.com

Fortunately your doctor is mistaken about running being hard on knees unless you are way, way overweight or suffer from a pre-existing condition. I'm going to guess he or she is a GP, if the problem continues ask for a referral to a sports medicine clinic

this

Strengthen and stretch the leg muscles. Definitely consult a sports medicine clinic, they understand this way better than a family doctor.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I suffered from tendinitis when I was playing back to back seasons of sports in high school. My doctor recommended a few things, 1) running on softer surfaces as someone already suggested, 2) before running put a little lotion on your fingers and while your knee is bent, massage right below or above the knee cap, wherever you're having pain and 3) freeze dixie cups full of water, tear the bottom off and after a run in a similar fashion as your pre run, rub above or below the knee cap with the frozen dixie cup. Worked pretty well for me. I've also noticed that my knee pain has decreased with weight loss too.