Options
    bump,thanks!
  • Awesome post.
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    You ate a lot before and gained weight.

Now you're on a diet. You're eating 1200 calories a day. You can't eat more without feeling like you're "stuffing" yourself.

There are several things that may be causing this.

Volumetrics. Yes, eating more nutritionally dense foods will make you feel fuller, but you can only take that so far. The same goes for protein and fiber. It helps, but if you're missing fat (which you will be on a 1200/day diet), then a normal, healthy person should feel hungry on such a low calorie diet, unless something more insidious is at work. Read on.

Stomach shrinkage. Yes, that happens as well, but again, you can only take it so far.

Lastly is the idea of the slowed metabolism: A sudden, drastic drop in calories will do this. You'll still lose weight, but you've given yourself no wiggle room. At some point, you will hit a plateau and have no place to go without risking serious health consequences by cutting more calories.

The best, most effective way of cutting calories is to start off slowly. All these "jump start" diets or "cleanses" need to be banished from the world.

Think of the Tortoise and the Hare. THIS is how you want to diet. Be the tortoise, not the hare.
  • TMcMillan
    TMcMillan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Great post! I could not agree with you more. I quit so many times because after cutting my calories and not eating back any exercise calories I was STARVING! I was not netting enough calories. I eat a lot more now and the scale is moving again! I am super excited!! I was shocked when I logged the stuff I used to eat and it was easily 4000 calories. No wonder I gained so much weight. I take full responsibility for my weight gain and I am dedicated to shed the pounds this time.
  • PunkRockDad
    Options
    To OP, great post.
  • prettythinlove
    prettythinlove Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I was the opposite. Before joining MYP I starved myself because I was stupid enough to think it would make me lose weight fast. (oh how naive I was) So when I joined, I went up to eat 500 cals a day, then 1000, and I recently went from 1200 to 1400 and I struggling a bit with eating my exercise calories back. I'm vegetarian so nothing is really high-cal in my diet.
  • shelly384
    shelly384 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You took the words right out of my mouth. How many times I would sit and eat a 1/2 row of oreos and a tall glass of milk. Now I look at the calories for a serving of 2 oreos (which I think is 140 cal) and I think "NO WAY" what a waste of my valueable calories. I worked hard to keep those calories off.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Well...they might be telling the truth when they say they're full on 1200. But its probably because their metabolism has slowed down so they're not losing it any better than someone who is eating more (AND is less likely to be deficient in micro nutrients)
  • Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Options
    ...eating when I'm not physically hungry-- which is what got me into this situation to begin with.
    Does that make more sense?
    "Eating when you are not physically hungry and having 300 Cal deficit" and "Eating when you are not physically hungry and having an excess of 500 Cal" are two completely different things. So, no, that's not what got you here :).
  • terry_mtb
    terry_mtb Posts: 45
    Options
    that is so true...I have alot to lose and my calories is 1560..I need to lose 150..there are times I show a gain. What the heck! I have been doing great, or so I thought..some days I was 1100 and some days 1500..It is just not coming off!
  • meggers127
    Options
    Spot on post!
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    bump for later :)
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Brilliant post OP. I'm with you that I do not get posters who struggle to get to 1200 calories. That article people are using as an example of how it's just so HARD to eat healthy food is using 350 calorie meals. Three meals a day and you have 1059 calories. Add snacks and you're at 1200. Easy.

I sometimes struggle to meet my full calories. I get that. But my base calories are 1673 and I eat exercise calories back. I won't let myself have a significant number left. If I'm going to the gym at night I eat more during the day. It means I don't have a ton to eat at night and it makes me go to the gym!

If you're burning 1000+ then you have a situation that has two possible reasons. One you are overestimating your calories burned. Two you are overtraining. There is no need for any non athlete to be spending hours in the gym. If you are training for a particular event that is different but I see people who are training for 5k runs who are running 10ks or more. Or doing weights. Pick one goal and focus on that.
  • Cheshire_Kat
    Cheshire_Kat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Interesting Point.
  • Queen2day
    Queen2day Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies here, but although I do agree with you in principle, personally I can understand the other side of this. Most people who have eaten mega calories in the past usually have either over eaten via large portion sizes and/or the wrong foods, i.e., foods that don't have much nutritional value, meaning empty calories. These will also not help you fill full for long and one will tend to eat more empty calories.

Personally, as I have made better choices in the items I choose to eat, I do have trouble eating the allotted daily 1200 calories. Furthermore, when I do work out, it zaps my appetite to the point that all I am interested in and desire is WATER. Most food choices that are considered healthier are naturally low in calories, so one has to eat a higher volume of food.

Bottom line: I do find it difficult to eat enough calories when my choices remain healthy.

Not my intention on starting an argument here, just stating my opinion. :smile: :happy: :happy: :happy: