Morning workout question

Options
If I was switching to early AM workouts when do you eat before or after you workout? and if it's before how long do you wait till you then exercise?

Thanks for the help AM people :)

Replies

• fasterandbetter
    fasterandbetter Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I usually eat after workout
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I have a bowl of cheerios with fresh fruit about 20 min before workout with a cup of coffee. Work out at 630 am. Then nothing until snack time.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    You can eat something before and after. It doesn't matter. And you can wait for hours after you workout to eat.

Meal timing is irrelevant.

Have a slice of whole wheat bread + peanut butter before your workout, and then have a protein shake after. Either is fine.
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    always been an AM workout person and i generally get to the gym around 8:30-9 AM and i have my breakfast around 7 AM every morning...

usually add a protein shake within 30 mins after finishing my workout also
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    If I was switching to early AM workouts when do you eat before or after you workout? and if it's before how long do you wait till you then exercise?

Thanks for the help AM people :)

If you just do AM cardio you may just want to get by with a cup of black coffee to get you going. If you lift, you may want to eat some complex carbs and protein. Although you could exercise completely fasted too.
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    If I am going to workout in the morning, it is usually within an hour of waking up and so I wait to eat until after. Otherwise, I feel gross and pukey.

My morning workouts are all cardio, though. Usually a nice little jog/brisk walk/momentary bursts of running (directly followed by crawling on the floor :laugh: )
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    My morning workouts are all cardio, though. Usually a nice little jog/brisk walk/momentary bursts of running (directly followed by crawling on the floor :laugh: )

Hey that sounds like mine! lol Good to know I'm not the only one...
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I usually eat after.
  • laj3918
    laj3918 Posts: 28
    Options
    When I workout in the early morning, I do not eat before hand, just water. Then try to wait 1-hour after before having breakfast... maximizing the high-metabolic calorie burn.
  • kdelost630
    kdelost630 Posts: 199
    Options
    I drink 8 ounces of water and eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast. Then I wait about a half hour to work out. Then I shower and have a protein bar. :)
  • boogiewoman1
    Options
    I have to exercise in the morning before my brain wakes up and figures out what I'm doing! I'm an early early exerciser: I'm popping in JM about 5:30 am, after a few sips on coffee and big sips on water. Then I eat either on my way to work or at work after 7,
  • Lindamack5987
    Options
    I usually eat after. If I eat before it makes my stomach a little queasy. But other than that it doesn't matter.
  • Tracey0013
    Tracey0013 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies :) I am going to try to get up and get my butt moving before the kids get up :)
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I usually have a banana on my way out the door, then coconut water and scrambled eggs when I get home (I work out 7 to 8 am)
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    I go to the gym first thing in the morning (usually there by ten past six) so sure as hell don't eat first - I only get up at five to six! There's just not enough time...

I usually eat breakfast as soon as I get to work while I'm checking my emails, so probably at about 8.30. Ideally I'd rather eat sooner, but I just don't have time - as soon as I get home from the gym I have to have a shower and then walk to the train station, so there's just not a spare moment.

But I don't think it matters. I've lost a fair bit of weight so far so it's working for me!
  • mheightchew
    mheightchew Posts: 334
    Options
    Most research I have read says you shouldnt work out on a completely empty stomach first thing in the morning. Even knowing this, I do. I get up at quarter tip 5 every morning to get my workout in before work and eat breakfast as soon as I get to work.
  • nikkijoshua
    nikkijoshua Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I just have a small snack or a meal replacement bar (Power Bar, Clif Bar, Balance Bar, or something similar) about 30 min before I workout. That really helps me get through tough workouts. If I don't, I'll be hungry halfway through the workout and I hate that. I eat a full breakfast usually immediately after my workout.
  • WatchMomRun
    Options
    I used to wait until after my workout to eat when I ran in the morning, but since I've started lifting a few days a week, I've found I get lightheaded if I lift on an empty stomach. I eat something small like a banana or a Mini Luna Bar.
  • ChelleDJM
    ChelleDJM Posts: 161
    Options
    Yep, after the workout. My alarm is set for 5:45 and I am at the gym a few minutes after 6AM. When I get home I have a substantial protein shake (fruit, yogurt, powder, etc) or an egg white omelet.
  • JIsh09
    JIsh09 Posts: 158
    Options
    I always make sure I put something in my stomach before working out, if not I get sick to my stomach.