Diet Sprite as a ham glaze???

Options
I was searching for a sugar-free glaze OR at least LOWER sugar.......

Has anyone on this site ever used Diet Sprite as a glaze for ham?

I saw one recipe making it in a crockpot- (which is how we're doing our dinner this year)

adding honey, cinnamon, cloves and mustard as well.

Just hoping someone's made this and can give me feedback before I take a chance of bombing the main course.

I am planning on using Zevia lemon lime soda pop

Replies

• momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this but gosh that just sounds nasty.. not trying to rain on your parade but GAG. what about pineapple juice I know it's not sugar free but it's natural.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it but it sounds interesting. Could you do a test run with a small amount of some sort of ham?
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Nope, I have never heard of that and I've baked a couple of tons of ham in my day. Why not just a simple maple glaze and pop it in the oven until it hits 140 F?:smile:
  • racpatand
    racpatand Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have used Diet Dr. Pepper before so I think anything diet would work. My family couldn't tell the difference.
  • sparkles1956
    Options
    I have used a diet coke with crushed pineapples, sparely brown sugar, but since we watching what we eat try it with honey
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Never heard of it but it sounds interesting. Could you do a test run with a small amount of some sort of ham?

BRILLIANT! I have another one *cooking* on the stove right now with some Stevia in the Raw and OJ.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Why not use the real thing. It's only a few extra calories since it would be distributed across the entire ham. It's not like you are drinking a glass of soda.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    DR PEPPER! Alton Brown has a good one.. maybe he uses coke..
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have used coca cola to braise beef ( you add tomato sauce) and it really ended up like a bbq type sauce, so sprite doesnt sound too strange to me. As long as you cook low and slow youll never know it was even in there.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I've used diet sprite before. It came out well, but we prefer ginger ale.

Yes, I am serious.
    Options
    I've used diet sprite before. It came out well, but we prefer ginger ale.

Yes, I am serious.

I have Zevia ginger ale too- hey THANKS!
  • susieqa6699
    susieqa6699 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    We use an even mixture of 7-up, gingerale, and orange-pineapple juice....YUMMY
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I don't know if cooking it will make a difference, but Zevia left a horrible aftertaste in my mouth. I brought a 6 pack of it to my family and those that tried it said the same thing. You might want to try a different brand if you're serving to a large crowd, because I've heard from many people and from reviews online that this soda has a bad aftertaste. But I hope all goes will with your glaze!
    Options
    I don't know if cooking it will make a difference, but Zevia left a horrible aftertaste in my mouth. I brought a 6 pack of it to my family and those that tried it said the same thing. You might want to try a different brand if you're serving to a large crowd, because I've heard from many people and from reviews online that this soda has a bad aftertaste. But I hope all goes will with your glaze!

I've not had that experience with drinking this myself- but I am cooking a little ham in a mini crockpot today as a taste test.....
    Stay tuned- I'll report back and let you know whether this was a PASS or FAIL
  • HealthyAlison
    HealthyAlison Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I suspect it wouldn't work. I think the glazing effect comes from the breakdown (carmelizing) of the sugar in the presence of the ham juices. Who knows what the artificial sweetener would break down into or if it would at all? You could always try it on a small piece first as someone else suggested.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Nigella has a recipe using coca cola....but she says it has to be the full version, diet stuff doesnt work.
    Options
    SO here's my *verdict*- this is a KEEPER recipe (for me at least)....
    it's not so much a *glaze* as it is a marinade....LOVE the flavor of the ham- cut up the rest of the ham into dinner size portions,
    put it in a gallon freezer bag and poured a can of Zevia lemon lime soda pop.
    Will let marinade overnight then put in crockpot and continue cooking it in the marinade on LOW for 8 hours.

THANKS everyone for your input.
    I think ANY soda pop of your liking would work- I just prefer sugar-free variety of Zevia ( made w/ stevia)